Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I shot a nice Heart beast that green scored as No. 13 in the Safari Club records. I am sure even now with extensive drying it will still place in the books. Should I register it after the fact? I primarily hunt for the experience and the memories as well as the meat so what are the pluses of getting it recorded?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It’s entirely up to you.
I have a few USA animals that would be accepted by the Pope and Young club. I have chosen not to enter them as I see no benefit in doing so. Obviously some people think the opposite.
Some people say it’s honoring the animal, that makes no sense to me.
Your call.

Last edited by dale06; 02/11/18.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Of course you should and Rowland Ward too. Now ordering the actual "award" itself that another story, some folks want them other don't.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 02/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I entered my qualifying African heads to help out my PH and outfitter. Also the owner of the land where the animal was taken.

It gives them recognition for working hard to find mature animals for me.

SCI uses the record book to monitor herd dynamics over time.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have at least three trophies which (I am told) would make the SCI book. I would never bother to register them. I could care less about getting on a list with hundreds of other unknown people. I would have shot them if the horns were slightly shorter, or the lion's skull were slightly smaller (who could even tell). The "book" in my opinion is largely a matter of luck and the "reward" does not reflect achievement. YMMV.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The SCI book standard is so low that damn near any decent representative head wil be admitted at the bronze level. Rowland and Ward is much tougher to qualify.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like others have posted, its entirely your call. And like jdollar posted, the SCI bronze level is so low that getting your name in that book is kind of like getting your name in the phone book. Costs are another factor. SCI charges $35 per animal to be listed. Then if you want your animals listed in any of their other awards, inner circles, or pinnacles, they charge $100 and up for each one and/or level. I don't know what Rowland Ward charges, and Boone & Crockett charges $45 per animal.

In my 50 years of hunting, I've taken over 60 different species and over 200 animals. A few of my African animals meet the RW minimums, I have quite a few animals that would qualify for SCI including several at the gold level, and two of my caribou and my muskox qualify for B&C. The cost of entering my animals in the various record books and the different SCI awards program would just about equal the cost of another hunt. I have not entered anything in any record book.

Your kids or grandkids would probably enjoy showing their friends your name in any of the various record books.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have entered one head (not African) in the record book for the outfitter because it was SCI #1. I have never had any of the others measured and don't care.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like many others on this site I've killed critters such as a warthog and an impala that would make SCI gold (I am told) but haven't entered them into the book, for various reasons.

I did enter my 2009 Montana wolf, but only because it was the first one from the lower 48 to be officially entered into a record book.

It is important to some people, but not all. Game agencies do sometimes use data from B&C, P&Y, SCI, etc. for management decisions, though. I think that is an important point to bring up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
what are the pluses of getting it recorded?

Because it makes your dick seem bigger?
They don't record dick size, you know.
Or maybe they do.
I have no clue on this book stuff (obviously). smile

If it makes whoever wants to buy their name into a book
happy, I say great. You pay for your choices and I'll pay for mine.
For instance, I paid $140 bucks for a bottle of wine recently. Insane, I am.
It was tasty, but my unit did not grow. Oh well.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
I shot a nice Heart beast that green scored as No. 13 in the Safari Club records. I am sure even now with extensive drying it will still place in the books. Should I register it after the fact? I primarily hunt for the experience and the memories as well as the meat so what are the pluses of getting it recorded?

I had the good fortune of collecting some Top Ten (Springbok and kudu) and Top 20 (gemsbok) way back on my first safari and put them in the book. It was fun to see my name in with some big names in the safari world. It does do a bit of good for your PH, as he can use it for marketing. I haven't gottent things measured or submitted for years now.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a gemsbuck and kudu that will both make RWard. I never bothered to enter either one. 42.5 gemsbuck and 55.5 kudu, don't remember what the minimums are.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

377 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.