Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm at a point where I want to build my go-to gun for most trips to replace my 30-06 semi-auto. I'm planning on hand loading and think 308 would be a good caliber to reach antelope to elk in the 300-400 yard range. I also have a 243 and 338 to cover the smaller and larger ends of North American hunting. Reading has pointed me to Sako as an excellent brand. I've been very happy with Leupold scopes and I'm ready to make windage and elevation adjustments with a dope card, so I was thinking the VX-5HD would be a good pairing. However, I just saw the postings about ejection problems and now wonder if I should run away from the Sako 85?!

1. Are most Sako 85 owners shooting 308 happy or are there more people unhappy with them because of ejection problems? In my occupation, those who are unhappy are the most vocal. So, even though they represent a minority, they are the most vocal on the internet and would make you think the products I deal with are terrible when, in fact, the products perform well for most people. Is that the same issue here? I saw a couple comments that the short action of the 308 may make it less prone to problems.

2. Does this combination of gun, caliber, and scope seem reasonable or are there glaring holes in my flawless plan? I know...an opinion question.

3. If the issue is height from chamber, should I be looking at a larger objective and higher rings with Opti-Lock to increase space? I worry that the shooting position could put the cheek weld too high.

4. Lastly, I live in the middle of nowhere in northern Wisconsin with no dealer within 120+ miles. Where do people buy these darn guns? Cabelas isn't too far of a trip. I've called 3 different shops for information and cannot get anyone to call back with pricing or availability information. Funny. Have money to buy something, but no one is interested in a sale, even when I was considering the Black Wolf.

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would ten times over prefer a Barrett Fieldcraft and a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42. I'll bet there isn't $500 difference and anyone knows anything about guns and scopes would tell you they you would have a much much more reliable scope and lighter just as capable gun.

If you don't want to spend the money for the Nightforce which is nearly $2K then a SWFA SS 3-9X42 would be very reliable also and a lot cheaper. The glass is about Leupold VX2 quality though.

If you want smaller turrets you might still can find a Bushnell LHRS 3-12 for about $1K that has excellent glass and adjustments. Hurry if you want one they have just been discontinued.

If you want to keep it really light for a non dialing scope,you might try a Trijicon 3-9X40 on the Barrett Fieldcraft 308. Not as reliable as the others I listed but I still trust them more than Leupold.

Do a search on Leupold reliability in the optics forum. Lots still use them but lots are finding the newer ones not nearly as good as the older scopes,and they weren't all that good.We just didn't know any better and had never used scopes that adjust properly that you don't have to re zero every year.

G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you for the information about Nightforce. I've been drawn into Leupold for some time and haven't deviated as I've been happy with it. The Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop MOAR is a pretty nice looking scope that I'll need to consider.

I don't know enough to say anything functionally useful about the Barrett Fieldcraft, though I note it's a relatively young entry into the bolt action rifle market with some pretty long heritage in other gun categories. However, I've grown accustomed to having a riser at the cheek weld point. Having the ability to have the cheek piece higher helps me set my natural point of aim. I know many, many people shoot just fine and dandy without it, but I would prefer to have it. When I've tried to add it as an aftermarket pad, they tend to be more mobile than I'd like. So, I don't think I will consider the Fieldcraft at this point. The stock is just too limited for me and I don't see a custom stock available (e.g. Boyds) at this point. Thanks anyway.

{edit: fixed bolt vs lever action; not enough coffee}

Last edited by GeneDoc; 02/10/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't have a clue what you are talking about concerning the Barrett. It is not a lever action. It is a 5 pound stainless bolt action rifle with a carbon and kevlar fiber stock that is straight enough that you will not need a cheek riser.

Here's the Barrett. In the picture,it has the Nightforce I recommended mounted. The Nightforce you mentioned would be too heavy for me.
https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/

Seems you are more interested in validation than recommendation,but good luck with whatever you choose.

G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Fixed my post. Not sure why I said lever action. Too tired I guess.

I am not looking for validation. Just because I don't like the gun you recommended, doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions. I have not found a straight stock I like to shoot and the stock of the Barrett is unattractive enough that I'd be looking quickly for a custom replacement. Again, I know some like the straight stock, but I don't. I prefer a Monte Carlo high comb or, better yet, an adjustable comb.

I do like the scope manufacturer you mentioned, so thank you for that suggestion. The NXS I selected is only 10oz heavier than the one you suggested and I have managed that weight running around mountains, so I'm not concerned there.

Happy shooting...

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GeneDoc
Fixed my post. Not sure why I said lever action. Too tired I guess.

I am not looking for validation. Just because I don't like the gun you recommended, doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions. I have not found a straight stock I like to shoot and the stock of the Barrett is unattractive enough that I'd be looking quickly for a custom replacement. Again, I know some like the straight stock, but I don't. I prefer a Monte Carlo high comb or, better yet, an adjustable comb.

I do like the scope manufacturer you mentioned, so thank you for that suggestion. The NXS I selected is only 10oz heavier than the one you suggested and I have managed that weight running around mountains, so I'm not concerned there.

Happy shooting...

Didn't mean to sound snarky either. The point I was making is that with a straight stock you don't need a cheek piece. The straighter stock puts your cheek as high or higher than a monte carlo. A replacement stock isn't made for the Barret because one of the main reasons for buying one would be the excellent stock it already has. Replacing it would be ludicrous. That said,everyone has different tastes in what they like and don't like.

Two things I do not like about the Sako,and I own Sako rifles,is the Sako rail and the 85 action often has high ejection that will bang off a scope unless it's mounted higher than necessary.

Happy shooting to you too,and good luck whatever you choose.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
GeneDoc,

What is an example of a gun/stock design that you already do like and shoot well? If you tell us what you like, we can probably guide you to something similar in an average big-game chambering.

G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It is unfortunate that I live so far from a dealer that I couldn't even hope to see one of these before buying. A local gun shop just said they could order one ($1730), but I wouldn't be able to hold one before buying. They do, however, have a Barrett M107A1. I know it's a completely different gun and not at all what I'm looking for, but it would give me a chance to see what it'd be like to have a butt-stock comb right at the level of the barrel instead of the downward slope of guns like my BAR. Again, thanks for another idea besides the Sako and for a much lower price! That $1600 savings would completely cover a nice suppressor, suppressor licensing, and/or a scope upgrade.

Poking around the Barrett site also shows me they have long range courses, which is something I'm interested in as well.

But then, there's always the Nesika Sporter to consider. Heavier, longer, and more expensive. Barely mentioned around this site...not a good sign.
Oh crud, now I just saw a post comparing the Fieldcraft to a Kimber Montana. Quite a few nice Kimbers in the bunch.

Too many choices!

G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What is an example of a gun/stock design that you already do like and shoot well? If you tell us what you like, we can probably guide you to something similar in an average big-game chambering.

Can't say I shoot anything "well", but I have had success with 30-06 and 338. I've put my rifles into Boyds stocks with an adjustable comb, elongated LOP, and enjoyed how they feel, if that helps.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What are your desires-needs in a rifle? I thought you were interested in light weight because of the Sako choice,which is why I suggested the 5 lb Forbes. The Kimbers are nice too but quality control may not be as tight as with the Forbes. With the Kimber you might get an excellent rifle,or there's a chance you might get one with accuracy problems. It's an arguable position but I don't think anyone would argue that the chances of getting a shooter is higher with Forbes.

If light weight isn't your top concern,then we might make some other suggestions if you explain a bit more about what exactly you want. There's lots of options at near $2K which the Sako costs.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/10/18.
IC B3

G
GeneDoc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What are your desires-needs in a rifle?

Looking for a high quality rifle in a mid-range caliber for consistently shooting North American game in the range of 300-400 yards, from goats to elk. It'd also be nice to do some local club shooting out to 600 yards. I've been considering the 308 vs 7mm and settled on the wider bullet weight range of the 308 over the 7mm, even though I've read many comments about the 7mm being flatter. I'm not very interested in the 6.5 Creedmor, as I'm concerned it may not have a big enough hit at the higher end. I'm planning on hand loading for the 308, leaning on the Barnes TTSX rounds.

I suggested the 5 lb Forbes.

I know I have a LOT to learn and am receptive, but you threw me for a loop mentioning Forbes, as I thought we were talking Fieldcraft. [I found you had another thread today with someone else talking about Forbes, so perhaps that was on your mind.] I did some searching for a Forbes rifle and came up with a 24B that looks a heck of a lot like the Fieldcraft.
...And an internet search worked wonders....
Found a couple 24hourcampfire threads from early 2016 saying Barrett bought Forbes and turned the 24B into the Fieldcraft. The Fieldcraft looks like it was announced in May 2016. Should I be concerned that the Fieldcraft looks like a recycled 24b from Forbes? I cannot find any listing showing how Barrett improved on the design of the original product. If this gun is a relic from a dying company and Barrett hasn't created any 2nd or 3rd generation rifles from the Forbes 24b in 2 years, I'm concerned about buying into a dead rifle line.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Found a couple 24hourcampfire threads from early 2016 saying Barrett bought Forbes and turned the 24B into the Fieldcraft. The Fieldcraft looks like it was announced in May 2016. Should I be concerned that the Fieldcraft looks like a recycled 24b from Forbes? I cannot find any listing showing how Barrett improved on the design of the original product. If this gun is a relic from a dying company and Barrett hasn't created any 2nd or 3rd generation rifles from the Forbes 24b in 2 years, I'm concerned about buying into a dead rifle line.

The Fieldcraft is an upgraded version of the Forbes rifle, which is based upon Melvin Forbes designs.

His company, Ultralight Arms (and later, New Ultralight Arms) virtually created the lightweight rifle, and the market we see today.

Melvin took two swings at mass producing his rifles at a lower cost (his custom rifles are around $3,000 plus) but failed to make it.

It is highly unlikely that the Barret Fieldcraft will fail. I have not read a single bad report yet. In fact, very few if any nit-picks.

I would buy one without reservation. In fact, I would have greater concerns with buying the Sako.

www.whittakerguns.com is a great source. They will ship it to your dealer.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 02/10/18. Reason: added whittakerguns note

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Sako 85s Finnlight in 308 Winchester.Without a doubt the best I have ever handled.The ejection problems seemed to be with certain long and short magnum actions.My rifle has never had any issues.Some will complain about the optic mounting system.I'll admit finding a nice system can take some experimenting.I settled with Conetrol mounts and rings and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x whatever.Scoped up AND loaded it's a C hair over 7 pounds.IMHO that's a dream compared to the 10 pound 444Marlin I used to lug around.
I don't think I need to look for something lighter that may not fit and function as well to knock off a pound or two.That money would be better spent getting LIGHTER BOOTS.Carrying a seven pound rifle never wore me out.But heavy shoes will.Save your money and get a standard Finnlight NOS.I've seen them going for under a grand which is a steal.BTW I'm average frame 6ft 160lbs and the Finnlight is "right there" when you pull it up.Big advantage there if you need to shoot fast.
Good luck with your quest.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think you should go with you're original idea, it is likely what you will be most satisfied with.

You should have no ejection problems with a short action sako,
and they almost always are very accurate. Imo you'll be pleased
with the vx5 from Leupold, especially at you're intended ranges.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What are your desires-needs in a rifle?

Looking for a high quality rifle in a mid-range caliber for consistently shooting North American game in the range of 300-400 yards, from goats to elk. It'd also be nice to do some local club shooting out to 600 yards. I've been considering the 308 vs 7mm and settled on the wider bullet weight range of the 308 over the 7mm, even though I've read many comments about the 7mm being flatter. I'm not very interested in the 6.5 Creedmor, as I'm concerned it may not have a big enough hit at the higher end. I'm planning on hand loading for the 308, leaning on the Barnes TTSX rounds.

I suggested the 5 lb Forbes.

I know I have a LOT to learn and am receptive, but you threw me for a loop mentioning Forbes, as I thought we were talking Fieldcraft. [I found you had another thread today with someone else talking about Forbes, so perhaps that was on your mind.] I did some searching for a Forbes rifle and came up with a 24B that looks a heck of a lot like the Fieldcraft.
...And an internet search worked wonders....

Sorry,I meant Barrett,and said Forbes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just for schitz n' giggles, where have you found a Sako Carbon Wolf in stock?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-Carbon-Wolf-Rifles.aspx

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=sako+carbon+wolf

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/11/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One could even purchase a Steyr "professional hunter"

[Linked Image]

Steyr Pro, 376 Steyr

[Linked Image]

Steyr pro, 7 Rem Mag.

the Steyr's will shoot with a Sako, have an excellent two stage or even set trigger and save $1,500 on. the rifle+ and invest in better glass.

[Linked Image]

Schmidt and Bender

[Linked Image]

Swarovski

[Linked Image]

Meopta

Quien Sabe?

GWB

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
GeneDoc
The new Sauer 100 Pantera may be just what you are looking for with adjustable LOP and cheek piece. EuroOptic has them in 308 at $1700. It might be a few months since I think they have just been introduced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBejfxEy3Z8

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GEEDU,

where did you pick up that maple stock? It is beautiful.

OP,

For the Money you are talking about I would also consider taking a look at Cooper and even a Semi-Custom M70 Feather Weight stalked to your liking.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 25aught6
GEEDU,

where did you pick up that maple stock? It is beautiful.

[Linked Image]

Dakota 76 Alpine, 280 Rem.

[Linked Image]

It just showed up at my fav-0-rite LGS a while back.

Seems it was a "banquet rifle" that a guy won and did not want. He traded it in, and I happened to snag it!

ya!

GWB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.