Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Interesting that there were so many people who'd fix things back then, like umbrellas. That was before we became a disposable society. Today, umbrellas are made so cheaply that you expect them to fail after a couple of years, and they're cheap enough that you throw it away and get a new one. Same with just about everything. Toaster stops working? Toss it and buy a new one.

Back then, keeping things running was a way to make a living. Everybody wasn't chomping at the bit to get the latest version of everything. Telephones were made to last, basically, forever, for example. In the 1960s, we bought a GE upright freezer unit, and it was still working well into the 1990s. I don't recall anyone ever coming to repair it, either. It spent the second half of its existence in the garage, but still plugged in and still used. I don't think 30 years of operational life is typical anymore with these units.
Electronics is a big part of that. Not every shade tree repairman can fix some of the electronic stuff. I've bought stuff that can't be repaired because the company won't sell new chips or boards for them. You have to buy a whole new unit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Oklahoma City the local Townley's dairy provided the milk.

The milkman would walk right into the kitchen while we were eating breakfast with his milk, chocolate milk, and orange juice. Us kids would beg mom to buy some chocolate milk and orange juice. He would sometimes sit down at the table, at mom's insistence, and eat some breakfast. As he was getting ready to leave, he would walk over to the refrigerator and reach on top for the check. Good old days.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sure do remember the delivery and the Bottles were marked " Jersey and Guernsey Milk " . Not as good as fresh on our Farm , but close . After moving from the Country , for many years I used to buy Farm fresh from one of the Farmers for 50 Cents a Gallon every weekend . We raised Chickens among other things and as a kid I helped my Uncle collect a wood carrybox full of Chickens and haul them into town . My Uncle had a 49 Pontiac which he kept in immaculate condition . My relatives lived in the Italian section of town and those Ladies wanted to see Live , Active Chickens . They would grab the Chicken they wanted , my Uncle would give them a price , and then they would fling the Chicken between their knees ....... squeeze it , then ring its neck , throw it on the ground until it stopped flopping around , and then take it home to cook . We would sell maybe 15 Chickens in a half hour . Just imagine what would happen if someone tried that today ! Them were the good ol days .

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
All of my early life state law required that milk sold in the state had to be produced in the state. Milk was usually from $3-$4 a gallon then. Some time in the early 70s the law was changed and milk could be brought in from out of state. Prices went down for a while. Now milk runs about $3.50 a gallon, just like the old days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by usull
Sure do remember the delivery and the Bottles were marked " Jersey and Guernsey Milk " . Not as good as fresh on our Farm , but close . After moving from the Country , for many years I used to buy Farm fresh from one of the Farmers for 50 Cents a Gallon every weekend . We raised Chickens among other things and as a kid I helped my Uncle collect a wood carrybox full of Chickens and haul them into town . My Uncle had a 49 Pontiac which he kept in immaculate condition . My relatives lived in the Italian section of town and those Ladies wanted to see Live , Active Chickens . They would grab the Chicken they wanted , my Uncle would give them a price , and then they would fling the Chicken between their knees ....... squeeze it , then ring its neck , throw it on the ground until it stopped flopping around , and then take it home to cook . We would sell maybe 15 Chickens in a half hour . Just imagine what would happen if someone tried that today ! Them were the good ol days .

Archie Bunker. He had to have surgery and the doctor was a black woman. You can imagine the fun they had with that. Archie stared at her and asked if she was a real doctor. She said "Only during the day, Honey. At night I strangles chickens for the Colonel."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
M
Just like the rest of the older crowd, we had whole milk delivered by horse and wagon. Milk was put in the milk chute where a note and change for tomorrow was left. During the winter if there was no one home the cream would be a couple inches above the bottle by the time it was brought inside. Our ice for the ice box(chest) was also delivered all year round by horse and wagon at first but there were trucks filled with sawdust to keep the ice from melting that replaced them. Never drank milk after they replaced real milk. We always made our own ice cream. Just one of the advantages of living in Canada in an igloo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember the home delivery of milk up until the early to mid 60's and our insulated aluminum (?) milk box but all the older homes had the milk box built right into the wall next to the side door as a pass through. Most of those older built in milk boxes are still there but you can't see 'em from outside because over the years the houses got re-sided with aluminum or vinyl and they just sided over them. Couple years ago I was reading something about those little old Divco milk delivery trucks that were so common. "DIVCO" was an acronym for " Detroit Industrial Vehicle Co." and they were powered by small Continental industrial engines but I don't recall where the rest of the drive train was sourced from. The Charles Chips potato chip delivery was pretty common circa early 60's and up until the late 50's or so we had a guy with a truck that would drive very slowly down the street ringing bells that sounded like the ice cream truck, (remember those?) but he was the guy who sharpened anything from scissors & knives to axes. He only came around in summer because that's when all the windows were open ( nobody had A.C.) and he knew people would hear him coming. My parents both grew up during the depression with ice boxes and I've heard all the ice man stories like how they could get free ice to chew on in the summer. Guy I worked for in the 70's who was about my dad's age got his foot run over by the ice man's horse drawn wagon in the mid 30's or so. Speakin' about ice boxes, that's probably why my parents and other folks from that era would freak out if us kids took longer than 3 to 5 seconds to open the fridge, put in or remove something, and get the door closed.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Another thing I remember from the past is driving out to the local dairy and buying whole milk.

We'd take our own jugs.

Damn, but that was some great milk! Had to shake it up when you used it because the heavy cream would separate when sitting in the fridge... grin

Our USDA cured us all from that though. mad

They may think so but not everyone is on board with that. Same deal we take our own gallon glass jugs shake the cream up. If you never had milk like that you have no idea how good real milk tastes.

Last edited by Pashooter; 02/11/18.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by usull

My grandfather raised chickens and pigs, and had the whole property planted, along with a grape vine for jelly. My mom told me how her mom (grandma) would go out, grab a chicken, and wring its neck like it was nothing.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by websterparish47
All of my early life state law required that milk sold in the state had to be produced in the state. Milk was usually from $3-$4 a gallon then. Some time in the early 70s the law was changed and milk could be brought in from out of state. Prices went down for a while. Now milk runs about $3.50 a gallon, just like the old days.

Except you can only buy twenty cents worth of anything else with that $3.50 now.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a great aunt & uncle with a small dairy herd and lots of chickens....... I never saw it or was too young to remember but my great aunt was the one who would go out and grab a chicken and chop its head off. My mom said that when she was a kid it was a real show to see the headless chicken running around for a few seconds. Had another great aunt that regularly made chicken wings back during the depression when the money was so scarce. Some sources I've seen claim chicken wings were created circa early 60's or so but long before that they were just something that poor folks made on a regular basis because they didn't want to waste anything edible. Getting back to the milk man topic; the only time I recall having real milk right from the cow was in the mid 1970's when one of my girl friends families had a couple cows.

Last edited by 22250rem; 02/11/18.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am the milk man around here. Often my daughter and oldest son milk, too.
This year we will have our cow plus two heifers in milk, if all goes well. We don't need three milk cows, so we will sell two. Let me know if you want to buy a cow.
[Linked Image]

Jason
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Will a pet milk cow let bum calves nurse?

That would be sweet for calving time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Will a pet milk cow let bum calves nurse?

That would be sweet for calving time.

It will! And it would help at calving time!

Just think, you could ride that one to gather the heifers... laugh

Betcha he may throw the saddle in for a 'Fire member.. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As much as a bag of milk cost the milk cow would probably pay for herself in short order!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Around here the best selling cow was always a stump broke Jersey heifer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We moved off the farm to the suburbs at the end of WWII. The milkman drove a horse drawn wagon and what amazed me was the horse knew the route. It would stop at the houses that were on the route without any guidance from the milkman. On hot summer days the kids would gather around the wagon and the milkman would chip off a chunk for each kid from the ice blocks in the back of the wagon that kept the milk cold. A couple times a week the street sweeper would come by to sweep up the horse $hit in the street. That was in the mid 1940's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a kid back in the 1960s,

Ya young whippersnapper.

You remember American Bandstand? Howdy Doody? Chewin' on your pencil in 2d grade?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Around here the best selling cow was always a stump broke Jersey heifer.

Some right here at the Fire would go for one eek

I'll bet you before it's over someone asks what "stump broke" means... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,132
Posts18,502,651
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.