Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
It sounds like most of your enjoyment is trying to figure out loads for your three rifles. That’s where your passion seems to be. I think you’ve wrung out the best information possible from these boyz who’ve been trying to help regarding loads for each. Practically speaking, the rest is up to you on what you decide works...Corncern comes into play when your shooting skills may be your weak link.

Those who’ve said “just start shooting” are really saying, you have enough bullet information...Now shoot your [bleep] and produce consistent, accurate hits on your steel.

Well, load development comes before shooting LR, but once I have a base load, I will be ringing steel with it while also developing loads for the other rifles. My mind is flexible enough to allow that. When I'm hitting the steel consistently coldbore at 400 with two rifles then I'll set up a backstop for the 600. But I'll also be tweaking my primary loads and seeing if I can find loads that my rifle likes better.

I’ve read enough posts in my brief time here to know one thing. No one likes to hear about a “walk away animal from wounding”. Especially, when someone is shooting beyond their skill set due to ignorance or lack of practice.

Now, I’m not saying you be ignorant, but let’s start hearing about how well your doing shooting your LR rigs. Let the steel ringing begin, please.

The steel has already been ringing at 300 yds and I fully intend to continue practicing. But now I will be practicing with something I might shoot a deer at 300-400 yds with.

And, get a stable shooting bench for practicing...Good Luck, I am sure your gonna be great

Yeah, that's kind of an issue. It's pretty hard to work frozen snow-covered sloped wooded ground into something flat enough to make a four legged table stable on. If I had a three legged table with adjustable legs, that would be sweet. When I can start moving dirt, I'll be able to get the blind back where I need it and stabilize it.

Will there be cake?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See I knew you already had the bulletsfor your wife’s 243 already picked out.

How does a BDC reticle help me with wind holds? And once you get the results from this “strelok pro” thingy how do you apply that in how you hold how far off for wind?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
How does a BDC reticle help me with wind holds? And once you get the results from this “strelok pro” thingy how do you apply that in how you hold how far off for wind?

Well, it gives you the answer in inches and MOA but it also paints you a picture. It uses a whitetail buck as a sample target, so you mentally have to adjust for that with a doe.

Will there be cake?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter

Well, it gives you the answer in inches and MOA but it also paints you a picture. It uses a whitetail buck as a sample target, so you mentally have to adjust for that with a doe.

Genius..... if I understand it correctly.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've tested Strelok Pro out to 200 yds and will continue to work with it. As long as you plug in a reasonable velocity, it seems dead on. One of the nice features is the backward calculation. You zero your scope at 100 yds. Measure bullet drop at a known long distance and backwards calculate the velocity.

Will there be cake?
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A decent chronograph is your friend......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Strelok Pro has a reticle feature that will show you where the bullet will hit, vs the reticle, and whatever range/wind you desire.

Take a look at where that little red dot is, when holding for 588 yards in a 8-10 mph wind. Holding 4 and a half feet feet high and a foot and a half left.

MUCH easier and more consistent to dial your 9 MOA in elevation (better yet, 2.6 MILs) and use the dots on your reticle for your wind hold (.9 MIL). Now you’re bullet of choice, a 140 NBT at 3250 in this case,will hit right on the horizontal crosshair..... just barely inside the first Mil-Dot. So you now can use that Dot as your aiming point, and the bullet will arrive exactly where you’re holding.

No guessing..... no interpretive holds out in space, far more consistency.

But I digress..... you’ve got it all figured out already.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
A decent chronograph is your friend......

I should have mentioned that this validates your chrono reading.

Will there be cake?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha well this has been fun but I will let the troll continue to work and look forward to seeing the next thread started as it could be just as entertaining.

FOMIH, it’s been a great troll so far, just the “tested strelok pro out to 200 yards” was the give away. Glad to see strelok was able to help you overcome that 3.5” drop and drift at 200 yards in a 15 mph cross wind. Or you could still just aim like you would normally and still hit the deer not problem. But thanks for the laughs.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Strelok Pro has a reticle feature that will show you where the bullet will hit, vs the reticle, and whatever range/wind you desire.

Take a look at where that little red dot is, when holding for 588 yards in a 8-10 mph wind. Holding 4 and a half feet feet high and a foot and a half left.

MUCH easier and more consistent to dial your 9 MOA in elevation (better yet, 2.6 MILs) and use the dots on your reticle for your wind hold (.9 MIL). Now you’re bullet of choice, a 140 NBT at 3250 in this case,will hit right on the horizontal crosshair..... just barely inside the first Mil-Dot. So you now can use that Dot as your aiming point, and the bullet will arrive exactly where you’re holding.

If you know that you are going to be shooting out past 300 (or even if you don't) you can zero your scope way out there wherever you want. Tell Strelok Pro where you have zeroed it, and it will recalc the numbers and adjust the ballistic table and the reticle picture. It works in reverse. No reason not to zero your scope at 300 or 400 and let it tell you how low to hold for a 100 yd shot. That makes longer distance pictures more reasonable. 600 yds is probably the furthest that I would consider using a BDC reticle, but I think it will be fun to practice with it. I will most likely never take a coldbore shot on game past 400, simply because my land's topography and natural deer movements make that unlikely.

Will there be cake?
IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Haha well this has been fun but I will let the troll continue to work and look forward to seeing the next thread started as it could be just as entertaining.

FOMIH, it’s been a great troll so far, just the “tested strelok pro out to 200 yards” was the give away. Glad to see strelok was able to help you overcome that 3.5” drop and drift at 200 yards in a 15 mph cross wind. Or you could still just aim like you would normally and still hit the deer not problem. But thanks for the laughs.

Apparently methodical testing is not something that you enjoy.

Will there be cake?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

If you know that you are going to be shooting out past 300 (or even if you don't) you can zero your scope way out there wherever you want. Tell Strelok Pro where you have zeroed it, and it will recalc the numbers and adjust the ballistic table and the reticle picture. It works in reverse. No reason not to zero your scope at 300 or 400 and let it tell you how low to hold for a 100 yd shot. That makes longer distance pictures more reasonable. 600 yds is probably the furthest that I would consider using a BDC reticle, but I think it will be fun to practice with it. I will most likely never take a coldbore shot on game past 400, simply because my land's topography and natural deer movements make that unlikely.

Let us know how that works out.... laffin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You are correct I would much rather use a scope that may or may not dial correctly with a reticle with zero ability to acurrately accommodate for precise wind holds. I prefer to focus on making a supposed 1/2 MOA rifle shoot 1/4 MOA with some “better” bullets so I can precisely miss the target and wonder why it didn’t go where I thought it was going. I mean who really cares if I can’t accurately account for a 3 moa wind hold with the reticle I am using the 1/4 moa accuracy difference matters much more, duplex or BDC reticles are the only way to fly. Thankfully it appears I am not alone in this endeavor. Man I must be bored but I gotta admit its kinda fun too haha. Keep up the good work your trolling is fun to watch, just mask it a bit better and you’ll reach Jedi status. Carry on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wasilla, AK. gave you away, right off. I know an old boy living there by way of New Mexico, might even be you. If you're the same fella I knew from a long time ago... You sure could shoot!!!....Probably still can. Nobody from the north region is as dumb as your post suggested. Cracked me up reading your posts though. If this is you A, I say, hello!....If, not, well, thanks for the laugh.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FatOldMIHunter in 3 months time....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You are correct I would much rather use a scope that may or may not dial correctly with a reticle with zero ability to acurrately accommodate for precise wind holds. I prefer to focus on making a supposed 1/2 MOA rifle shoot 1/4 MOA with some “better” bullets so I can precisely miss the target and wonder why it didn’t go where I thought it was going. I mean who really cares if I can’t accurately account for a 3 moa wind hold with the reticle I am using the 1/4 moa accuracy difference matters much more, duplex or BDC reticles are the only way to fly. Thankfully it appears I am not alone in this endeavor. Man I must be bored but I gotta admit its kinda fun too haha. Keep up the good work your trolling is fun to watch, just mask it a bit better and you’ll reach Jedi status. Carry on.

And the troll has been trolled. Or is it- the student has become the master? LOL

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You are correct I would much rather use a scope that may or may not dial correctly with a reticle with zero ability to acurrately accommodate for precise wind holds. I prefer to focus on making a supposed 1/2 MOA rifle shoot 1/4 MOA with some “better” bullets so I can precisely miss the target and wonder why it didn’t go where I thought it was going. I mean who really cares if I can’t accurately account for a 3 moa wind hold with the reticle I am using the 1/4 moa accuracy difference matters much more, duplex or BDC reticles are the only way to fly.

Bahaha! Classic.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

You are correct I would much rather use a scope that may or may not dial correctly with a reticle with zero ability to acurrately accommodate for precise wind holds. I prefer to focus on making a supposed 1/2 MOA rifle shoot 1/4 MOA with some “better” bullets so I can precisely miss the target and wonder why it didn’t go where I thought it was going. I mean who really cares if I can’t accurately account for a 3 moa wind hold with the reticle I am using the 1/4 moa accuracy difference matters much more, duplex or BDC reticles are the only way to fly.

Bahaha! Classic.

Try this great theory on a 3foot piece of cardboard at 500 yds with a 10 mph crosswind, and let me know if you still think its a good theory. Hint, you won't. I am relatively certain that you will miss the minute of deer that you are "trying to put in the freezer".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The stuff a guy reads on here..... wow

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Wasilla, AK. gave you away, right off. I know an old boy living there by way of New Mexico, might even be you. If you're the same fella I knew from a long time ago... You sure could shoot!!!....Probably still can. Nobody from the north region is as dumb as your post suggested. Cracked me up reading your posts though. If this is you A, I say, hello!....If, not, well, thanks for the laugh.

Dang, he sure nailed you there 'lanche. Did you ever get those Hatch green chilis to grow up there?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.