Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
... is doing after knee replacement surgery?

Last edited by fish280; 02/19/07.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I will probably phone him Wed. evening, the first couple days after orthopaedic surgery are pretty painful, so, I will wait until then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give him My best I had mine done about two months ago and refused to take narcotic pain killers thought I was gonna die

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
When you find out how Brian is, let us know Kute.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
refused to take narcotic pain killers thought I was gonna die

when i had my minor knee surgery back in September i thought i wasnt doing half bad till i got home and our lil 15 pound mutt, being excited to see me decided to do a flying leap onto my lap to say hello.............i said hello to a couple percocets shortly after that grin

Last edited by rattler; 02/19/07.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kute, better wait for the pain pills to subside a bit. Some of them make it possible to hold an intellligent conversation with a California blonde.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Give him my best and let us know.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have regular prescriptions for Morphine, Contin and Hydromorphone so I am very aware of the effects of meds. Percocet or Percodan or tylenol III are much less potent than these and even the Meperidine I used to use isn't any better.

I doubt, based on talking with Brian last month, the 20th, IIRC, that he will do much with analgesics, they are all over-rated anyway and have too many sideeffects. A stiff slug of Rum actually works better for bone pain; I have 365 suture scars and steel plates in my right leg and had a steel pin in my left, so, I know!

Of course, Rum can give ya hangovers, but, not respectable guys like us...right?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thank you guys for the concerns - it does a fellow good to know that despite being somewhat "contrarian" at times - I've still got people thinking about my well being - thank you! You are a good bunch of fellows.

I had the surgery on Friday morning. I understand that in my post-op drug induced fog (general anesthetic - combined with my hammering on the morphine button ever six minutes) I managed to really scare my kids. I looked like hell ("yellow" they said) and was fighting to stay awake so I could talk to my three little girls - which my "ex" had thoughtfully brought in, to chear me up. Evidently they thought I was dying and I grasped the youngest's hand and then fell asleep - and my ex had to free her hand from my grip. The girls left crying because of how I looked.

Anyway - I swore off of the morphine after that, and while in the hospital, I managed to cope with the pain using Tylenol since then, plus whatever else they brought to me in the little paper cups every so many hours.

I haven't had a bowel movement since I was admitted - so I won't even use the the Tylenol 3's I was prescribed - instead relying on regular Tylenols and a lot of Metamucil. I also won't eat until I'm able to produce something. I've got four days worth of food in there!

I asked the Dr's what I'd need to do before they would let me go home - and then spent every waking hour working on those goals. Evidently I succeeded beyond all expectations - as the physiotherapist said "beyond A+ - more like amazing!"
So, as I was able to bend my leg past 90 degrees, go up and down stairs, easily use crutches,lift my leg on and off the bed using the operated leg's muscles alone, put on shoes without help from anyone else etc. - they let me go after spending only two days post-op. Evidently, the "norm" is 5 to 6 days. I'm proud of my accomplishment - but then again, when I set my mind to a task, I'm a pretty stubborn old Norwegian sort. It's the challenges we face that make life interesting.

So, right now I'm home, recovering and basically drug free - if you don't count the regular Tylenol's that I used after waking (while fighting through the night-bed induced stiffness) and the ones I'll take before bed tonight to help me be able to sleep and move my leg while I turn over in the night. Last night a few times I thought I was going to die from just turning over in bed!
After accomplishing that I lay sweating and gasping for minutes.

It's even an effort to sit up and write this (I'm soaked in sweat right now) so forgive any spelling errors, or lapses in my thought processes for a while.I'm sure sitting upright in a chair will get easier soon.

I thank you all for your concern - and I will keep you updated on how things develop.

Thanks guys!

Brian

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad to hear the news!! Recover, do it right and by the books and all the therapy also.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BC- it's good to see you've got your game face on. Keep up the hard work and get back on your feet as soon as your body allows it. I don't blame you for avoiding the pain meds to the degree you can. 'Hope to hear good reports in the days to come. Get well soon.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for you Brian. You have to do it right. Besides, You are one of the more fun and intelligent guys we like to bicker with and trade handfuls of mud with.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Can you sell me your pain meds at Canadian prices since you ain't using them? grin--Get well man! Someone's gotta take care of the pigeons!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
good for you, brian.

will continue to lift you in prayer ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad to hear it's going well, Brian. Too bad we missed the opportunity to ask you some questions while you were fried.....like, do you really believe all that leftie tripe or is it just a ruse to make me and Kute hyperventilate? I guess we'll just have to keep guessing. Take care, buddy. Listen to the docs.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pound sand up your ass, loser. Wish you were dead.

�Give me four lines of any man�s writing and I can justify a hanging.� Cardinal Richelieu
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
re: your quote from the Cardinal:

you only needed one line to justify yours

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
3eights are we off of our meds?

Glad to hear you're doing well bc.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great news Brian hope the recovery keeps moving right along.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,853
Posts18,517,617
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.