-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 85 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 84 85
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had project meetings all weekend so no hikes or snowshoeing. Back on the bike this morning for an hour.

Jeff O - Thinking I have to make some fit changes on the bike. Probably bring the bars back an inch, feeling too laid out which causes me to come forward in the saddle. Can't bring the saddle forward any more. Thoughts on this?

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm certainly no bike fit expert, but you absolutely want a correct fit. Do you have any hand numbness after a long time in the saddle? That'd be another sign of being too far forward.

Sounds like you have two options. The obvious one would be a new stem; I haven't ever done that so I can't really opine BUT try to get one that doesn't require all your controls to come off the bars to swap out. The other option is a seatpost with less (or no) "setback". That I have played with on my "winter" bike and it's easy and cheap if you just try inexpensive steel seatposts at least until you find what works. Many seatposts have a ton of setback so depending on what you have going on now, this could be your huckleberry.

The other thing you are changing there, though, is the geometric relationship between basically your pelvis and the center of rotation of the cranks.... so just watch your knees at first for signs of strain.

You could always pay a pro to fit you. I found those guys a bit woo-woo for my tastes but that's probably just the couple guys I talked to. Certainly, it can be approached as a science and there are some very astute bike fitters out there.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/12/18.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I am also no bike fit expert, but I have found that if you ask a couple questions, many bike shops would be happy to give you a 5-minute "fit" for nothing. Regardless of how much they know, it is pretty helpful to have your bike on a trainer and another person to observe and/or adjust. If you don't know what you are doing (and I don't) they can usually get you in the ballpark.

"I'm looking for a new stem, because I'm not sure my bike fits me right." should lead to a conversation about what stem you are looking for, and then a "bring the bike in some time". They also will have a box of used/returned/no longer cool anymore stems that they might be willing to let you try or sell you for $5-10.

If things go that way and you get more than you paid for, then you know where to go when you need other stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes! ^^^

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the saddle stem but I think that's where I'll start. I had the quick bike fit done (swapped the neck from the fork stem to bars for a shorter one but it's still 3" long) but it's been 5-6 years and things have changed.

Yep, used/returned/uncool is always good.

I knew when I bought the bike it was aggressive but seems to really bother me more this year. Its a Fuji Roubiax ACR1.0.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fit gets really crucial as the mileage goes up. Things that you barely notice 10 miles in can be excruciating @ 50 miles... hand or foot numbness, butt or taint "issues", etc. But those are all ancillary to the real reason to get a fit that works: knees.

Just remember little changes go a long way... you mentioned an inch... that'd be a BIG change! Just go easy at first and listen to your precious knees. smile

I don't know a better friend to a middle-aged man than a good road bike. Well, maybe a still-horny wife. grin

Edit: I like to bring the tools necessary to make fit adjustments along on a long ride (when I'm messing with fit, I mean); you can really feel small changes once you've "acclimated" to a given fit for say 10 miles. I mean, raise or lower the seat by as little as 1/8" and it's like "whoa!".... I can feel the changes (and their effects) much better than if I'm just sitting on my bike out in my man cave "imagining".

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/12/18.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I don't know a better friend to a middle-age man, Well maybe a still-horny wife.

that kind of goes without saying laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'Tis a beautiful thing, no? smile

About to haul my lovely lass to the doctor.... day 10 of the flu, she's not doing so good. frown

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope she feels better.

I agree about the small changes. I did that with the seat height, Had some knee pain until I dropped the height about 1/8" or so. Don't notice as much on the road but the trainer can be torture and I'm only at an hour. I'm hoping to do 1.5-2 hrs in another month or so.

I'm going to look for a new saddle stem and play with that position first.

Thanks.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff- hope she gets on the mend quickly

I did “Murph” this evening

1 mile run
300 air squats
200 push-ups
100 pull-ups
1 mile run

this evidently was on of Lt Michael Murphy’s favorite workouts, they (Navy SEALS) did this workout with 20-ish pounds of body armor on!!! Lt Murphy was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan and awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously. They named this workout in honor of his service.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did mostly upper body today, also worked in two leg machines that don't require weight on the ankle, and leg lifts. Felt good.

The flu sucks, good luck with the Dr. JO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Stairmaster--15min
Deadlift--1x8-1x8,1x5,1x3,1x2
Overhead press-- 1x10, 2x7
Hammer curls--3x10
Calf machine-4x25
Roll-outs-4x23
Stairmaster-10min

Good luck with the flu....If there is a next time, don't wait 10 days, if one is not coming around in 4 and getting worse. This is a potent strain and even some of the young and healthy are having a nasty time.

Last edited by battue; 02/12/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Went on a shoulder season elk hunt in central MT last weekend that required snowshoes which gave me a whole new outlook/ perspective on fitness/ workouts. Went with a buddy who didn't fill his non-resident tag during the general season so I was focused on getting him one. The hike in wasn't so bad at about 30-40deg as we were able to stay on top of the snow for the most part. Got in to a few cows bedded down under the trees and out of the wind at the base of a hill. Buddy and a guy we teamed up with both got small cows. I passed on a shot because I knew packing out 2 was going to be difficult and thankfully my freezer is full. Boy am I glad I passed. I packed out 2 front shoulders for my buddy and we post-holed most of the 2+ mi back to the truck because we could not stay on top of the snow with the added weight. It was exhausting in the crusty windblown snow, never-mind the steady 20-30mi winds once we got out from behind the hill, and the plummeting temperature- it read 5deg when we got back to the truck; god knows what the wind-chill factor was. In the end we estimated we snow-shoed at least 6mi that day. Going to have to adjust my workouts accordingly.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
snowshoeing is a wonderful way, well maybe not wonderful :D, how about effective, way to stay/get in shape; in addition to the aerobic benefits- it does a great job of working your core, entire legs/glutes and really smokes your hip flexors and abductors. It also does a decent job with your upper body with the poles.

it’s the reason I try and maximize my snowshoe miles prior to the Bob Marshall Open- it is the best way I’ve found to mimic best the rigors of that event

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Been mixing it up with my sandbag and kettle bell. Five Turkish get-ups each side with my 35 lbs kettle bell. Clean and press the sand bag and do five squats. Carry the bag down stairs and either do five lunges each leg, or five burpee/sandbag cleans. Drop the bag and do five dead-hang pull ups. Clean and press the bag and head back up stairs. Pace around with the bag on my shoulder until I catch my breath enough to hit another round. Got ten rounds done in about 30 minutes and had that great post workout feel all the rest of the day. Been digging on this type of workout. Really hits my core and is pushing my endurance level. Heart pounds heavy the entire time and I have to focus on controlling my breathing. Well worth the price of a couple sacks of pea gravel and a rusted up kettle bell from 2nd hand Sports.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
3.5 miles yesterday evening with my wife and Tiny E, shooting for something similar this evening

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did upper body cardio today, leg lifts on the floor, and a few leg machines. 25 minutes of intervals on the arm bike, then 20 minutes on the ski erg, then machines. Felt good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 trail miles for Tiny E and I and as many squalls that came through- it’s now snowing in earnest now; I’m confident that we’ll see Spring by the end of May laugh

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Four miles on trail for Onyx and I tonight. Wet snow blizzard and the MicroSpikes were balling up.
I had to scrape them on logs and stumps every couple hundred yards coming down.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ed we probably passed each other and didn’t know it laugh

Page 10 of 85 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 84 85

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,500
Posts18,509,196
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.