Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For me, the Al Biesen rifle is the ultimate rifle experience. Like Bobin used to say, "you could spot a Biesen from across the room".... He sure was right about many things... I miss that old guy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm trying to resist making an offer on the .300 Win Mag as well.

If it had been a 7 Rem Mag it would already been headed this way.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I'm trying to resist making an offer on the .300 Win Mag as well.

If it had been a 7 Rem Mag it would already been headed this way.

The thing about a Biesen gun, they don't pop up every day, people tend to keep them, not sell them.

These may have come from an estate sale. I'd think that's one way Biesen rifles end up on the market.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mathman, thanks for the tip.

Any reason to choose Lapua over Nosler?

Nosler has used more than one source for brass in the past and the quality/durability was variable. I believe they used Norma more recently and that's pretty good stuff. They also bought SSA, a brass making company whose 308 brass I did not find very impressive. Of course Nosler should be working to bring the quality into line with their price. On the other hand Lapua has been a gold standard for a while. I've used a whole bunch of of it for nearly fifteen years in 308 loading. It hasn't all been perfect, but overall it has a great track record.

Here's another option:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...ooters-pack-30-06-springfield-box-of-100

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
As a study in wood, this is a Len Brownell, Champlin in 7RM. Biesen is a bigger name; this gun is worth less than that one. But, this is for sure French walnut, has the same coloration as the Biesen rifle.

The claim of Claro is just wrong.

DF

[Linked Image]

Actually..Al Beisen really is NOT a "bigger name"in the Custom gun world .they -along with about a dozen other American Custom stockmakers are about equal.

.Leonard Brownell is famous for being the man who design Bill Ruger's m77 and No 1 classic stocks. Brownell custom rifles are a bit rarer as well since his working life was shorter and did not have a son working in the trade behind him. Most gun people know Leonard Brownell equally as well as they do Al Beisen..
Any difference in valuation is what ever the dealer places on it..Its not truly marlet driven..

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As a study in wood, this is a Len Brownell, Champlin in 7RM. Biesen is a bigger name; this gun is worth less than that one. But, this is for sure French walnut, has the same coloration as the Biesen rifle.

DF

[Linked Image]

Actually..Al Beisen really is NOT a "bigger name"in the Custom gun world .they -along with about a dozen other American Custom stockmakers are about equal.You could also add Dale Goens,Jerey Fisher,Earl Milliron,Clayton Nelson and Maurice Ottmmar to that list..

.Leonard Brownell is famous for being the man who designed Bill Ruger's m77 and No 1 classic stocks and litterally changed the direction of factory stock styling away from Weatherby Cali school in the 1970s.....

Brownell custom rifles are a bit rarer as well since his working life was shorter and did not have a son working in the trade behind him. Most gun people know Leonard Brownell equally as well as they do Al Beisen..
Any difference in valuation is what ever the dealer places on it..Its not truly market driven..

Last edited by jk16; 02/12/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jk16

DF

[Linked Image]

Actually..Al Beisen really is NOT a "bigger name"in the Custom gun world .they -along with about a dozen other American Custom stockmakers are about equal.You could also add Dale Goens,Jerey Fisher,Earl Milliron,Clayton Nelson and Maurice Ottmmar to that list..

.Leonard Brownell is famous for being the man who designed Bill Ruger's m77 and No 1 classic stocks and litterally changed the direction of factory stock styling away from Weatherby Cali school in the 1970s.....

Brownell custom rifles are a bit rarer as well since his working life was shorter and did not have a son working in the trade behind him. Most gun people know Leonard Brownell equally as well as they do Al Beisen..
Any difference in valuation is what ever the dealer places on it..Its not truly market driven..

I'll defer to your statement. I just held Biesen in the highest esteem, nothing against Lenard Brownell, whose work work is exceptional. I removed the skeleton butt plate and the inletting was just perfect. This gun shows some use, which makes it easier for me to use it.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have owned two of Goens' rifles, a .270 and a .300 Win Mag, both of which I sold.

Currently there is a Pete Grisel small ring double square bridge Mauser stocked by Morris Ottmar in the safe. Weighs 8 lbs scoped, and is superbly accurate.

Would love to own rifles by Fisher, Brownell, Nelson and Bolliger, among others.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Paul Jaeger out of Jenkintown, PA also built outstanding custom rifles....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I snagged the Paul Jaeger/Fritz Voigt stock that was offered here on the 'Fire a little while ago, waiting for it to show up so I can drop my custom .257 Featherweight barrreled action into it. I have a deep chiseled oak leaf and acorn floorplate and trigger guard by engraver Jim Blair to finish it off.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Speaking of Jerry Fisher's rifles, that is something you very rarely see for sale. About 30 plus years ago there was some guy who was buying up all that came on the market. As I recall he had 12 or 15 that he would display at some of the high end gun shows out west. Don't recall his name, but he was fairly young at the time and may still be alive. It would be interesting to see the numbers of rifles produced by the top makers. Goens for instance, held a full time job up to retirement and only did gun work in his off time. I will say that for being a part timer he was very prolific.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Last edited by nyrifleman; 02/12/18.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ed, are any of those chambered in 7x57?

They were not and the store closed a couple of years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After I bought my first custom rifle I quit looking at factory guns the same way. There real is no comparison between a Remchester or Winington and a Griffin and Howe or Hoffman. Even my special order pre-64 Model 70 looks crude in comparison to my James Howe Model 54.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ismith
After I bought my first custom rifle I quit looking at factory guns the same way. There real is no comparison between a Remchester or Winington and a Griffin and Howe or Hoffman. Even my special order pre-64 Model 70 looks crude in comparison to my James Howe Model 54.

Yep, once you’ve seen and handled the real deal, all else is lacking.

Like the old WWI song, How ya gonna keep’em, down on tha farm, once they seen “paree”.

DF

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The "Import marking" appears to be "DEAC - Amherst NH", the company that sold it to the OP. (It appears slightly more clear in the photo on the .300 Win). Kudos to the OP - very nice piece!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Question for those of you who know about these customs. When I was a kid reading about and drooling over a custom rifle, there are 2 names that I remember from the 60's-70's and that is Biesen and David Miller. Where does Miller's work fall in comparison to Biesen's rifles? Just curious.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Question for those of you who know about these customs. When I was a kid reading about and drooling over a custom rifle, there are 2 names that I remember from the 60's-70's and that is Biesen and David Miller. Where does Miller's work fall in comparison to Biesen's rifles? Just curious.

If what the consumer is willing to pay is any indication of quality, Miller would have to be considered a step above.

He, along with a few others such as Darcy Echols, and John Bolliger command in excess of 10k for a bespoke rifle.

A Bolliger is on my short list as well. Used, of course wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bravo my friend on a top of food chain model 70. very best winpoor

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thank you, sir.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.