Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not that any of ya'll would know about the "INs and OUTs of it, but I'm thinking I might be able to save a few dollars...I'm sitting here, on my fourth beer & wishing I didn't have to go to town to replenish my supply of alcohol...I don't really give a chit if it's wine, hard stuff, or beer......between late June and early August, I've got a solid supply of blackberries and would like to be able to take advantage of the natural resource...I'd be capable of building a still, but I'd rather not...back in the day, I crushed up some Thompson seedless grapes, threw in some flieshmans yeast, and drank the results a week later...from what I recall, the results were good..Any recipes/ guidance???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gonna catch De Gouch on them shins. Then you'll wearing Crocs to vent them flaming big toes. lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google UJSM or uncle jesse's sour mash. That's the best reciepe for a beginner runnin a still IMO.

ujsm recipe site:homedistiller.org

Copy and paste that into google at the expense of your liver.

Last edited by DryPowder; 02/13/18.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dago red, what you just posted. I make several decent wines with juice, sugar and champagne yeast. You can freeze out the water 2 or 3 times to concentrate the kick.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I did make some peach wine once. First two primaries blew off the airlocks and painted my pantry ceiling with peach-barf.

The surving batches tasted like that crap the romans gave Jesus on a sponge while he was on the cross

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
MFM,

I make both beer and wine, but mostly wine. It's hard to save much money making beer, but you can make very good wine for a fraction of what you pay at the liquor store.

For a simple book on making berry wines etc. I recommend "The Winemaker's recipe handbook" by Raymond Massaccesi. Great simple recipe's for fruit wines.

If you want to try a simple way to make grape wines, there's some very good kits available. They will have all the ingredients you need along with clear instructions. The one warning I'll give on these is they generally have sub par yeast included. Pick something in line with your chosen grape varietal.

I will warn you, it can be addicting. I started with a food safe plastic bucket and a couple of carboy, but have since graduated to a 14 gallon stainless steel fer menter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Star San Sanitizer

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
MFM,

I make both beer and wine, but mostly wine. It's hard to save much money making beer, but you can make very good wine for a fraction of what you pay at the liquor store.

For a simple book on making berry wines etc. I recommend "The Winemaker's recipe handbook" by Raymond Massaccesi. Great simple recipe's for fruit wines.

If you want to try a simple way to make grape wines, there's some very good kits available. They will have all the ingredients you need along with clear instructions. The one warning I'll give on these is they generally have sub par yeast included. Pick something in line with your chosen grape varietal.

I will warn you, it can be addicting. I started with a food safe plastic bucket and a couple of carboy, but have since graduated to a 14 gallon stainless steel fer menter.

Rubber Maid makes some really nice trash cans whistle

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Easiest would be wine.

Ale pail, lid and bottling spigot: https://www.northernbrewer.com/brew...ing-equipment/brewing-fermenting-buckets

$21 or there abouts.

Airlock if ya wanna get fancy: https://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/fermentation-locs

Cheapest concentrated grape juice ya can find, and bout 8-12 pounds a sugar, dependin on how much ya wanna get kicked.

Ya gotta be able ta boil water, tho.

Cool it off and add yeast. Yeast can be picky about how much alky they'll make for ya, some make more than others, but then flavor comes into play.

Let it bubble down, and drink it right outta the bucket.

Blackberries and natural fruits sound like a good idea, but they're much more likely to introduce a bug you don't want in your mash, which if you're lucky, will only cause it ta taste like shat.

Sometimes, it'll cost ya the whole run.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

We're on the same page....thanks.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Blackberries and natural fruits sound like a good idea, but they're much more likely to introduce a bug you don't want in your mash, which if you're lucky, will only cause it ta taste like shat.

Sometimes, it'll cost ya the whole run.

Just add you sulfides, and pitch your yeast 24 hours later.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Been my experience that eve if the wine tastes like shat the still can salvage the alcohol.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t think MM is looking for Spanokpitas quality wine, just something slightly above prison toilet hooch. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
.....between late June and early August, I've got a solid supply of blackberries and would like to be able to take advantage of the natural resource...I'd be capable of building a still, but I'd rather not...?

First thing that popped into my mind is "I wonder what blackberry brandy would taste like?"

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t think MM is looking for Spanokpitas quality wine, just something slightly above prison toilet hooch. 😁

I bet MM could choke down Spankers relabeled, repackaged, box wine.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MFM,

When you make beer are you brewing from grain or extracts? I got the homebrewing bug a few years back and made a few batches of ale in my garage/fermented in the basement. I was using extract kits. Results were decent but like you said you don't save much money. I think going all grain is cheaper but then you have a longer process/more equipment.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'd guess that making liquor is kinda like handloading ammo.

You spend just as much, but you take more shots.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jonnymac
MFM,

When you make beer are you brewing from grain or extracts? I got the homebrewing bug a few years back and made a few batches of ale in my garage/fermented in the basement. I was using extract kits. Results were decent but like you said you don't save much money. I think going all grain is cheaper but then you have a longer process/more equipment.

Jonny,

So far I've only worked with extract kits. Generally they would include some grains to steep for added flavor, but be discarded before fermentation. My local brew store stocks an incredible array of grains, and they will even grind them for you. Perhaps someday I'll make that leap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10ring1, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,077
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.