Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just received the unfortunate news that work wants to transfer me to Fresno, CA. I currently live in Rexburg, ID and just finished building my dream home this week and plan to move in on Saturday. The transfer news was an unexpected curve ball to say the least. I won't be getting a raise with the move they are just shutting down both of our Idaho offices and gave some of us opportunities elsewhere.

I'm not a big California fan. I lived in San Jose part of one Sumer and couldn't get out quick enough. Ironically, I turned don a job in Modesto in 2005 that started at more than I'm making know. I'm not excited about heading back all these years later and making less.

I haven't been on the campfire much lately because I've been busy with work and building a house. However, I need the opinions of people that hunt and like the outdoors but have lived or do live near Fresno. It my be time to look at other options. I have an MBA in marketing and have worked in the fertilizer industry for about 14 years.

Thanks,
Bb

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd find a new job.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Whatever you do in Idaho will be making more than in Calistan when you factor in cost of living among other things. Tell them 150% more than your current pay or they can find someone else.

Last edited by KenMi; 02/15/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Stay, find another job!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well that sure is some sad news, what a shocker..
Wish you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BB,

Sorry to hear the unfortunate news. Priority number is taking care of your family. Rexburg is a great place. But to stay there and lose your dream home would be a nightmare.

I underwent the same thing years ago, but in the opposite direction. I was living in CA, and trying to get out. I was able to move from CA to AZ. But, I was unable to sell my home.
My wife stayed there for almost a year trying to sell. We finally moved her here to AZ and turned the house into a Rental... at a loss of $350 per month. After 3 years of that
I gave the house back to the back. When all counted, I lost about $125,000.00

I wish you the best in your decision. Were it me, I'd take the job, leave my family in ID. I'd send my resume out to every company that would be able to employ you near Rexburg.
Idaho Falls, Jackson, Burley... etc. The commute might stink, but you retain your home and the life style you love.

Good Luck !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There is some good fishing near by, trout and bass mostly.

Thirty years ago, the hunting was a mixed bag. Good bird and small game, but deer hunting was poor. Since then, it has gone from poor to really bad.
The closest deer unit, D-7 has an average success rate around 5%. Very few bucks bigger than a forked horn.
Opening day is a zoo, they sell 7,000 tags.

80% of the bird and small game hunting is on private property.

The local mountain scenery is spectacular. The Sierra Nevada mountains between Kings Canyon and Yosemite.

The cost of living is going to be higher than what you are used to.
State laws are the other side of crazy, and getting worse.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd find a new job.

I'm in Visalia, 45 miles south. I'd agree. Deer hunting is almost all public land, with little game during seasons allotted. Fresno itself sucks, IMO.

That said, you're two hours from 8000' in redwood forest. Two and a half - three from the Pacific with great fishing. Three to six hours from three plus each pro baseball, basketball, football, or hockey. Seven hours from Vegas. Lots of music/concert opportunities in LA, Sac, San Fran, and Fresno itself. Rarely need more than a light jacket or sweatshirt in winter. A/C better work in your vehicle and home come May or June.

Couldn't ask for a much better opportunity working in the ag business. If you or her are into gardening you've got it made.

Most of the liberals you read about are on the coast. CCW is fairly easy to get in Fresno County, Tulare County where I am is probably in the top two for ease of issue.

Hope this helps.

Sean
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
That soon to be empty, dream home, in ID... squatters welcome?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I go often there for work and have made friends there.

Pro
not bad deer hunting and season last a month (two if you count archery),
great fishing in the mountains and skiing. great mountains! There are lots of places to go were it is nearly as beautiful as Yosemite but free.
People I know thru business are conservative, that area votes conservative BUT you are in a state over populated with libs.

Con
it is a chit hole!
I had my truck stolen from the hotel I was staying at, I expected Mexicans but Fresno PD told me it was most likely Hmong (remember Eastwood's movie Grand Trevino)

Last edited by old_willys; 02/15/18.

Ted
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rigby boy here....

Bummer of a deal.

I'd work pretty hard at finding something in SE Idaho, and even camp out for a while in Fresno if I had to do it in order to keep an income. Finding a job is a lot easier if you already have one.

If you do end up in Fresno, it's not the end of the world. There are good people everywhere, and you'll survive and continue to raise a good family.

Do check cost of living. I wouldn't be surprised if moving to Fresno is a 20% pay cut.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to an insurance related school there for several weeks a while ago. The first night I was there they had seven different gang shootings with fatalities. I was driving around close to the motel, looking for a fast food joint. I was at a light in a left turn lane right next to one of the shootings, waiting for a turn light. I heard a big boom and looked to my right. The driver of that vehicle had just gotten his brains blown out by someone in the car to his right. I made my left turn and headed back to the motel and ate dinner out of the vending machine.

Fresno has gone down hill since THEN. Beg on a street corner before relocating there.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My new home is near Rigby. I paid for most of it out of pocket so I have a pretty small mortgage. I couldn't rent a studio apartment in Fresno for what my Idaho mortgage is and my Idaho home is 5000 square feet and a four car garage. It would be almost impossible for me to find another 6 figure job around here but I may be better off staying even if it means selling cars or something.

My kids are 5,4, and 2 and their safety and happiness means more to me than my job. If Fresno isn't safe I don't want to take them there. It is good to know you can get a concealed permit there. I refuse to live somewhere that won't let me protect my family.

Thanks,
Bb

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I went to an insurance related school there for several weeks a while ago. The first night I was there they had seven different gang shootings with fatalities. I was driving around close to the motel, looking for a fast food joint. I was at a light in a left turn lane right next to one of the shootings, waiting for a turn light. I heard a big boom and looked to my right. The driver of that vehicle had just gotten his brains blown out by someone in the car to his right. I made my left turn and headed back to the motel and ate dinner out of the vending machine.

Fresno has gone down hill since THEN. Beg on a street corner before relocating there.

Sounds like you are torn then on what he should do?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Wow ,

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fresno Area Crime Rate

This isn't too promising.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd find a new job.

Man, tough deal....my first inclination is to say "screw CA" but it is your job...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay in ID. You sound like a driven guy that knows how to make things happen. Things will turn out okay.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 14,646 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,076
Posts18,541,429
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.