Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DBC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
BLR 308 Win. It's my main hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

44Mag
22LR
22Mag

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh boy, I have tried to become infected with leveritis, but it just has not got me.

Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester
Marlin 444 in obviously 444
Browning BLR in 358 Win

All went down the road, I find myself looking at them every once in awhile but soon come to the realization that I just do not like them.

Went through all the mental games of pumps and single shots too. I am simply bolt action trash.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If your on the ground walking into a bunch of hogs, there's not much chance they would charge you. They're more likely to run away once the first shot is fired. But they might get confused on which way to go, or one might get mad, and then that half second that some expert bolt worker might lose with their three perfect shots might mean something. I can unload 7 out of a lever faster than 3 out of a bolt action though because I am slow like that with twisting and pulling and pushing and turning and then moving my hand back down to the trigger all while trying to keep aim or follow a moving target.

Now sure you could use a semi auto rifle or shotgun and have even more advantage. But where's the fun in that...

I like bolt actions just fine. They usually have a better trigger. And are much more at home for target shooting. And in most hunting the goal is one shot one kill.
Most hunters would choose a bolt action if they just had one rifle for the versatility that comes with the rangier cartridges that they're normally chambered for.

But for some hunting situations the bolt action offers no real advantage unless it's just personal preference.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Goat

I’ve had my share of L Gs. 94 Win, Sav 99, BLRs. Always wanted an 88, Win obviously BUT in 284. Never found one in good enuff shape. It had been hunted hard (or abused) and put up wet. Today the only LG I have is a 94, 22 M in Winchester’s Wincam stock. I have a 1300 FTWT in the same stock. I looked for a couple of yrs for a 22 RM in the Wincam stock. Never made it.

If I were to get any LG today it’d be a BLR 7-08.

To paraphrase you, “ something better” came along and I no longer hunt deer/big game w/a LG.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/15/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The ultimate lever IMO

Sako Finnwolf 308

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, top of the line.

I used to hit MANY gun shows, IF I ever saw 1 I didn’t know it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I sold both of my 7600s because they sat in the safe and weren't used much anymore. The last few years I have carried my Marlin 95 percent of the time and the Sako the rest. I could live happily ever after with those two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want Remington to make a straight stocked stainless guide gun off of their pump action. I'll take mine in 338 federal.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Lever actions are fine.

Bolt actions are better, which became apparent about 1898. Lever guns have been in decline ever since.

Lever guns have not been in decline since 1898. They probably reached their peak in the 40's and 50's.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Lever actions are fine.

Bolt actions are better, which became apparent about 1898. Lever guns have been in decline ever since.

The 30-30 and the model 94 Winchester were a step backwards. The 6.5X55 and 7X57 in bolt guns predate 30-30 by several years. Both the 30-30 and lever actions would have become a footnote in history had it not been for the proliferation of "cowboy" movies starting in the 1920's. Yes, our grandfathers buying decisions were influenced by Hollywood too.

Most people incorrectly assume that levers are lighter, handier, and quicker firing. None of which is really true. My Marlin 30-30's are the heaviest rifles in my safe. They make lightweight, short barreled bolt guns too. With irons on them the weight is reasonable, but with even a low powered scope they are pushing 8 lbs. My bolt guns range from 6 to 7 1/2 lbs including optics and are just as fast for "aimed" repeat shots. Yes, I can empty the magazine in a lever rifle slightly faster shooting in a general direction. I've timed myself getting off 3 shots with both. I'm about 1/2 second faster with a lever action But include the requirement that all 3 shots hit a target the size of a deer's vital zone and there is no difference.

A lever action in a 30-30 class cartridge will certainly work for an awful lot of hunting. Can't deny that. But it is also a disadvantage for a lot of it too. A bolt gun set up with a lower powered scope in a light compact package is at no disadvantage in thick woods. And does a much better job at longer distances.

And for the record I own over a dozen Marlin and Winchester lever action rifles. I like them for what they are and do hunt with them occasionally. But if I really want the best tool for the job they ain't it.

A step backwards in the days of iron sights? I don't think so.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Goat
Memtb, my father was a pastor so we shuffled around a bit. I guess I call LaSalle, Catahoula and Rapides Parishes "home" more than any other. I lived the last 20 years in Rapides, northeast of Alexandria.

I have hunted with bolt actions in the woods too and killed lots of deer that way. My decision to start hunting with lever action rifles happened one day in a climbing stand while hunting in the edge of a thicket where I could see only about 40 yds. I was 30 ft up a tree with a 25/06 shooting a 100gr Nosler Partition at over 3400fps. It just seemed to me that I was using the wrong tool for the application. The next season Istarted out with a Marlin 336 chambered in 35Remington. Lever-itis took hold and I've done a lot of hunting with them since. I haven't bought but one bolt action rifle in over 25 years but a lot of levers have come my way and most of them stayed with me.

I'm "vertically challenged" at 5'-7" and the Marlin stock fits me well; maybe because I scope all of them. I am well aware that bolt actions can be made lighter while being chambered in more powerful cartridges but there is a problem with most of the bolt actions that I can't get around. I shoot left handed. Until recent years you had few choices if you wanted a left hand bolt action. Your choices were 270, 30/06, 7mm Magnum or 300 Magnum. You'll notice that there are no short action cartridges in the line-up and no short, light- weight carbines were within reach of the working class man.

I looked longingly at the rifles of Melvin Forbes but working manual labor for $7 an hour back then they were only a dream. I wanted a left-hand Remington Model 7 so badly it hurt but there were none and there still aren't. I vowed that if a made manufacturer made a left-handed short action I would have one. To my knowledge Browning was the first with the A-bolt Micro Hunter. I was true to my word and I have one in 7mm08 and I love to hunt with it. In fact I took my heaviest buck with it a few seasons back. I like that rifle a lot and could hunt the rest of my life with it alone if I had to. But thankfully I do not have to and I will continue to hunt the woods and thickets with my lever-actions because I find them to fit me well and they kill just as well as well as my bolt action cartridges at ranges inside 150yards and usually well within 100 yards. I love the 35Remington, 375 Winchester & even the 45/70 among others.
So are my lever-actions better than my bolt actions? No, not really but they fit me well, I shoot them well, they kill well, they are nostalgic and I just like them. So, in the way I use them, why not?

Leveritis took hold in me at 16 when I shelved my 30-06 in favor of a new 30-30. A 32 Special followed a short time later.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Goat
I looked for a couple of yrs for a **22 RM** in the Wincam stock. Never made it.

Jerry

This post is by way of a belated EDIT. My mind said 22 RF->->-> NOT RM. Winchester never produced the 22 RF with a Wincam stock.
That MAY have changed but AT THE TIME, they had NOT.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by JMR40
Lever actions are fine.

The 30-30 and the model 94 Winchester were a step backwards. The 6.5X55 and 7X57 in bolt guns predate 30-30 by several years. Both the 30-30 and lever actions would have become a footnote in history had it not been for the proliferation of "cowboy" movies starting in the 1920's. Yes, our grandfathers buying decisions were influenced by Hollywood too.

Most people incorrectly assume that levers are lighter, handier, and quicker firing. None of which is really true. My Marlin 30-30's are the heaviest rifles in my safe. They make lightweight, short barreled bolt guns too. With irons on them the weight is reasonable, but with even a low powered scope they are pushing 8 lbs. My bolt guns range from 6 to 7 1/2 lbs including optics and are just as fast for "aimed" repeat shots. Yes, I can empty the magazine in a lever rifle slightly faster shooting in a general direction. I've timed myself getting off 3 shots with both. I'm about 1/2 second faster with a lever action But include the requirement that all 3 shots hit a target the size of a deer's vital zone and there is no difference.

A lever action in a 30-30 class cartridge will certainly work for an awful lot of hunting. Can't deny that. But it is also a disadvantage for a lot of it too. A bolt gun set up with a lower powered scope in a light compact package is at no disadvantage in thick woods. And does a much better job at longer distances.

And for the record I own over a dozen Marlin and Winchester lever action rifles. I like them for what they are and do hunt with them occasionally. But if I really want the best tool for the job they ain't it.

A step backwards in the days of iron sights? I don't think so.

Well..... I'm not going in that direction. wink grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it comes to rifle fun, nothing beats a lever action.

But when I hunt I want practical - which for me means increased range and accuracy among other things - and bolts beat the levers for my choice by about 20-1.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
This is great! I had hoped that there would be some discussion without things getting ugly and that's what we got. The fact are clear; the lever actions were eclipsed by the bolt action's strength which enabled it to handle the higher pressure cartridges that allowed greater range, especially after telescopic sights became common.

But there is another aspect that can't be measured, a subjective side if you will. Rifles and shotguns either fit you or they don't. We've all picked up a long arm and known immediately that it was not a good fit. For part of us though the lever action rifles just work. They point naturally, the stock is the right length and the comb the right height. And if you are a meat hunter, as I am, there is no need for more powerful cartridges with their attendant high velocities that blow larger holes and make a lot of bloodshot meat if your unable to take that perfect broadside shot that only hits a rib going in and another on exit.

By my records (and I am not bragging, just using myself for an example) I've taken well over a hundred deer and my longest shot was at almost exactly 150yds. As I have stated in this thread already I am a woods hunter. My average shot from those records is only 63 or 64 yards. If I shoot lever action rifles and their much milder rounds I give up nothing. But what about accuracy? At those ranges almost any rifle would do. But I handload for every rifle I own and even my worst lever actions are less than 2 moa at 100yards. Most are considerably and consistently better than that. And now with the 308 Marlin Express and the 338 Marlin Express 300 yard shots are easily within range. 308ME with its 160gr spitzer bullet with a soft pliable tip is easily the equal of the 300Savage and right on the heels of the 308Winchester. The 338MX fires a 200gr spitzer that is nearly the equal both in energy and trajectory of a 30/06 firing a 180gr spitzer.

I know that many don't consider 300yards long range anymore but It is to me. Just another personal note. I'm not nearly as impressed with how far someone takes game as I am of how close they were able to hunt and make the shot. That is a subjective look at the hunt and just my opinion that might change if I had opportunities to hunt in wide open spaces.

Thanks to everyone that posted and for keeping it civil.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Goat
Today the only LG I have is a 94, 22 M in Winchester’s Wincam stock.

Jerry

I have to admit this 94 22M is a fun gun & one of my favs. smile I'd NEVER poach with this gun. I could not replace it. cry

[Linked Image]

Jerry

edit ->-> 94.......not 99. duh

Last edited by jwall; 02/20/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brunette or blond???

I like carbines in the woods. I like long barrelled flat shooting rifles on the prairie.

My pre-64 94 Win 32 Special is so sweet. It will be on my estate sale unless one of the kids grab it.

I have other lever actions. None so sweet.

I hunt on the prairie a lot. I’ve tried a 300 + Yard shot with cast bullets in that 32 on a coyote out behind my house (it was in my hand). Next time out I carried a light 270.

I wouldn’t like it if all the opposite sex were 5’6” and 100 pounds with blonde hair (etc.), all cars were 1967 corvettes, all pickups were ————. And I would not like all my rifles to be 30-06’s.

I like bolt actions, falling blocks, lever actions, pump actions, and break open’s. I like double barrels too. Heck I think muzzle loaders are fun and I hunt with them too.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/20/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My walkabout rifle is almost always my Dad's '94 in 30-30. My Marlin, unfortunately went to sleep with the fishes some decades ago through someone else' efup. I prefer the Marlin.

Haven't killed with the '94 since 1966. I should fix that..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This Savage 99G in .300 is special to me as it was the first rifle I used cast bullets in to kill deer, in fact, this is the only rifle I've used to take deer with cast. Make no mistake, it has proven deadly to 200 yards.
[Linked Image]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 48 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.