Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Can't tell you anything about Fresno, but your situation strikes a chord with me. I've said for years if I lost my job here in Helena, I'd flip burgers for minimum wage before I'd move back to a 6 figure salary. Young children definitely factor into your decision - I wish you the best going forward but still believe that quality of life trumps career, salary, etc...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah I'm originaly from the fresno area and it is a [bleep] hole period. You could live in the foothills close by and be better off. I would take a minimum wage job before moving back there. My family has all moved to exeter springville and porterville just to get away from the drugs and violence. And that area is swarmed with illegals. It's a mess might as well move to south central.

Last edited by azelkhuntr; 02/15/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My friend who lived there many years ago referred to Fresno as the armpit of the earth...

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t see enough positives to move to Fresno. W Wa is bad enough, but a lateral move to Fresno, no raise? No way would I do it.

Doesn’t look like a place to raise kids either.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would do everything I possibly could, to not move to Fresno and raise your kids there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Born and bred Central Valley KOMMIEFORNIA boy here.

If you have other job opportunities I’d say go with them.

If you have no choice your going to be wanting to stretch you budget to live in the nicer areas in and around Fresno.your most likely not going to be happy with what your current salary can get you.

I was a District Manager for a large Retail Company and was based out of Fresno in the late 90’s. Family loved it because we lived north of Woodward park in the Copper Hills area by the Country Club and kids went to Clovis Unified.

It’s a huge spread out Metroarea now and all that goes along with that.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd find a new job.

That was my first thought.

I'd be sending out resume's first thing tomorrow morning.

Sorry for your troubles man.....hope it works it's self out.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/15/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I also own two other rental homes I Rexburg. Both 4 bed 2 bath and around 1800 square feet. I'm probably better off selling the new home and living in one of my rentals. I've been living in one while we built because our last home sold in 3 weeks. I should probably just sell the new one and stay. But I think I'll go ahead and move in it first. After all the work I'd like to enjoy it even if it's short lived. Fresno crime rates are making my decision for me. I just found out today and I have until June 1 to decide.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’m about 1.5 hour north in Oakdale but I have been working around Fresno off and on for 20 years and have family there. I have a nice place in the country, all of my family and wife’s family is here.....our politics in this state suck, too many people, the hunting can be decent but that is after years of developing spots on public land, friends with private, etc. Fishing is solid..... stream, lakes,delta, ocean.

I have driven through Rexburg many times on my way to Montana and have friends in Idaho Falls.....If I was in your position, I would do whatever possible to stay there. Maybe downsize? Sell out and buy something smaller for cash? I think I would rather raise my kids in a travel trailer than move here..... Not sure what you do for a livin but there has to be something better than Fresno.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If work has you yet vested well with a solid pension to come then I suggest you deal with it and leave with said pension when allowed. Otherwise leave as I did in 1995.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have heard that if California was going to get an enema they would stick the nozzle in Fresno.
There is this too from 2009
http://kmph.com/archive/website-fresno-is-dumbest-city-in-america

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My 2 cents.

I would either drop my standard of living to a level which would allow me to stay in Idaho at another job or pick some other areas where I would like to live and start flooding them with resumes.

Moving to California wouldn't be an acceptable option.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having grown up in Rigby, I know how few and far between the good, high skill jobs are in that area. That's one reason I'm here in Utah.

If you have to move, Utah is a good destination. Lots more opportunities here. Decent cost of living. Better climate than SE Idaho. Too many people, but that's why there are opportunities.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i was born and raised in Oakhurst just up hwy 41 from Fresno. i would work at mcdonalds rather then move back to Fresno.
i spent my teenage years running around Fresno trying to sta alive and that was 50 years ago. still have family there including a nephew that is a Fresno county Sheriff deputy. he tells me stuff that i didn't even see in South Central.
i pray you don't end up down there it is only going to get worse.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I also own two other rental homes I Rexburg. Both 4 bed 2 bath and around 1800 square feet. I'm probably better off selling the new home and living in one of my rentals. I've been living in one while we built because our last home sold in 3 weeks. I should probably just sell the new one and stay. But I think I'll go ahead and move in it first. After all the work I'd like to enjoy it even if it's short lived. Fresno crime rates are making my decision for me. I just found out today and I have until June 1 to decide.

Bb

Never feel sorry for a guy that owns an airplane or three homes..
Screw the job and raise your family where you know you should. Sounds like you shouldn't be pressed for cash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even with crap politics, there are great hunting, fishing and outdoor opportunities in California, incredible scenic beauty as well.

Unfortunately Fresno isn't close to any of them.

Proud NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've spent some brief time in Fresno and passed through many other times.

There is NO WAY I would subject my family to the drugs and crime there.

I beg you to find another option.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Never feel sorry for a guy that owns an airplane or three homes..
Screw the job and raise your family where you know you should. Sounds like you shouldn't be pressed for cash.

And can retire to the comfort level you have planned for.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You will have to register all your guns with the police. If you want to buy ammo, you'll only be able to buy it from an FFL licensed dealer and you will have to go through a background check. If you have any of the banned "assault" rifles or banned magazines, you'll have to get rid of them before moving into Calif.

I knew a few gang detectives from LA Sheriff's Dept., and LAPD, plus a Deputy Sheriff from Tulare Country who said that Fresno is the dividing line between the Mexican Mafia and La Familia Nuestra, big time, extremely violent Mexican gangsters. Mexican Mafia is also closely tied in with MS-13.

I'd definitely not want to raise children in Fresno ... or much of Calif.

Just my opinion, based on living 36 years in Los Angeles, and having a vacation home up in the Sierra above Posey, in Tulare County, for 30 years.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Drugs violence and racial tensions high taxes like all of california visit but live elsewhere. The freaks create sanctuary cities to protect illegal aliens and criminals from the law.stay in idaho.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 14,769 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,151
Posts18,542,683
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.