Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
26 year old Remington 870 20ga youth with Federal Heavyweight #6 and a Jebs choke!

Although last year in the middle of my move to TX I used a SBEII, modified choke and 3" #5 bc that was all I could get my hands on when i realized the opener was the next morning. Turkey was DOA at 7am.

I have a single shot 16ga that I bought with my grandpa that I will be taking around this year. I have some bismuth #5s and its a fixed MOD choke so 25yds and in it will be game on.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spring turkey hunting doesn't require a special type of shotgun. I've killed a ton of them with a 20 gauge 870 but I use different shotguns as the mood strikes me. One shot is all you need so it doesn't much matter which action you use. The last bird I killed, I shot with a 20 gauge flintlock trade gun with a cylinder bore. Iv'e used my Red Label, a 12 gauge 870, and a side by side 12 gauge percussion muzzle loader. Any gauge or choke works as long as you know how far it holds a good pattern and call the bird into that range. [Linked Image]

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 02/09/18.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Texas turkeys are not like the birds most folks hunt... Sorry, that is the way it is..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used a Pedersoli muzzleloading 10 gauge for years. Used it for everything, turkey, geese, pheasant, doves, coyotes... I really enjoyed it and was even published in the now defunct "Blackpowder Hunting" magazine. It added a little extra challenge and required carrying some extra stuff, but I liked it and did it work! I even used it for trap shooting once, until I was asked to stop because of all the powder smoke, people could no longer see the targets! Haha! Now I'm back to a pump, but you never know, might get the itch to start using the muzzleloader again.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Texas turkeys are not like the birds most folks hunt... Sorry, that is the way it is..

How so?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot maybe a dozen to two dozen Texas turkeys. they are not wild compare to the birds in other states.. I have missed a shot and they just stood there.. Once in Pa. I clicked off the safety of my rifle and the enitire flock ran like they had been shot at.. Plus turkeys in Tx are often shot over bait.. It is legal and nothing wrong but generally the turkey there are much less wary than others I have hunted..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only hunted turkey in Texas. Mostly rios and a few eastern. With the ability to hunt them with a rifle and over bait / feeders it can be stupid easy. But I and most hunters I know don't shoot turkey that way. It's much more enjoyable to call them into shotgun range.

I do know that the turkey being extremely wary is a reaction to pressure from hunters and predators. I have hunted large ranches with very limited hunter pressure and large flocks of birds where the birds were fairly predictable and relatively easy to call. Iv'e also hunted small farms and woodlots where the birds ranged across several different properties and received lots of hunter pressure. Those birds were very call shy and a challenge to bring in. Another property had such a large population of coyotes and bobcats that the birds never made a sound after flying down from their roost. You were more likely to have a coyote or bob cat come to your call than a turkey.

So aside from reaction to pressure, do you notice a general difference to the way birds respond to you calling in other locations? Are they more reluctant to coming in close to a call with a decoy?

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Old School. I have hunted exclusively with older double bbls for the last 30 yrs. Old Fulton from Hunter arms to CE grade foxes. Bought a Batavia Spl 12 ga just because my son had moved to Batavia NY the year before. I was going to give it to him, but he moved to Fla and I killed 3 turkeys with the gun. Two were on the run. So, the gun fits me and that's what will be with me come April. Most of the old doubles have wonderfully tight patterns with full choke and some give you the option of more open chokes in case ole Tom gets in your business too quickly.

Charlie

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crsides; 02/11/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I use an O/U and a single barrel. The reasons for using both are weight savings, field safety and reduction in muzzle blast. The O/U is just over six pounds. The single isn't much over three pounds. Both can be broken open fairly quietly when crossing obstacles. Both have tang safeties, the position of which is easily verified by sight without movement. Both have 28" barrels. Standard velocity loads from a longer barrel are easier on the ears than high velocity loads from a shorter barrel. And we all know how important our hearing is for turkey hunting.

I have seen where people use SxS guns. I like the idea, but there's an issue. The turkey's head and neck are vertically narrow. The sxs has horizontal variance in regulation. Unlike an O/U where one barrel hits low at short range, the SxS guns hit left and right. So, typically a shooter will plan to shoot distance shots sighted with one barrel and have the other choked more open to avoid missing left or right at short range. With the O/U on the other hand, you just aim at the head. The top barrel is on it. The bottom barrel is low, but still centers on the neck.

Ummm, someone should tell the truckload of turkeys my dad and uncles have killed with 311's.....them buggers are going to be stoked to know they have a new lease on life!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use an O/U and a single barrel. The reasons for using both are weight savings, field safety and reduction in muzzle blast. The O/U is just over six pounds. The single isn't much over three pounds. Both can be broken open fairly quietly when crossing obstacles. Both have tang safeties, the position of which is easily verified by sight without movement. Both have 28" barrels. Standard velocity loads from a longer barrel are easier on the ears than high velocity loads from a shorter barrel. And we all know how important our hearing is for turkey hunting.

I have seen where people use SxS guns. I like the idea, but there's an issue. The turkey's head and neck are vertically narrow. The sxs has horizontal variance in regulation. Unlike an O/U where one barrel hits low at short range, the SxS guns hit left and right. So, typically a shooter will plan to shoot distance shots sighted with one barrel and have the other choked more open to avoid missing left or right at short range. With the O/U on the other hand, you just aim at the head. The top barrel is on it. The bottom barrel is low, but still centers on the neck.

This is true from a theoretical point of view only. You don't know where either bbl is hitting until you pattern it on a paper. I have seen High dollar O/U's that throwed shot left with one bbl and right with the other. SxS's may shoot higher with one bbl than the other. And this is the norm rather than a fluke. You want to get your turkey into 30 yds or under, and at that range your patterns cover 2 1/2 ft or more. The center bore of each bbl on a sxs is maybe an inch apart. So an error of one inch on a 30" pattern doesn't make a hill of beans difference. And what do you do with the O/U when the turkey sticks his head out horizonally?

Charlie

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Charlie, you're way off on using shotguns for turkeys. I'm not going to write a book on here about it. I suggest you do your own research and work to see what's up.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have killed turkeys with mutiple pump/auto 12ga shotguns from nearly every common brand and model except Beretta, also killed turkeys with bolt action .222 Rem and .223 Rem rifles, I have lately been considering trying a .22 Hornet as I have not hunted turkeys with rifle in many years and I think it might be fun to change it up a little......Hb

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I will be using a Franchi 48 AL 28gauge with 1 5/8 oz. of #9 1/2 TSS

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Several choices if I hunt this spring, 870 20, model 31 12, or my heavy duck model 12..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Charlie, you're way off on using shotguns for turkeys. I'm not going to write a book on here about it. I suggest you do your own research and work to see what's up.

I have done my research. For 30 + years with more than a few sxs's. Its called regulation of the bbls. Not all sxs's shoot to point of aim, and neither do all auto's or pumps. Its pretty easy to find out where your shotgun is hitting, but most people don't take the time to do it. I have read and followed Tom Roster's (Ballistic Editor of Shooting Clays magazine) publication on buffered low pressure loads. I roll my own low pressure tight patterning shells designed by Tom Roster for older 12ga doubles. I've done my research, and I know whereof I speak.

Charlie

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have used a bunch of shotguns on turkeys, but for the last 15 years or so I've killed 'em all with a Sauer Model 60 side-by-side 12-gauge, which I like for several reasons:

1) Like many European shotguns it came with sling-swivel studs.
2) Like many older shotguns, it's choked tight and tighter.
3) It weighs 6-1/4 pounds, which is easy to carry, despite it's 28-inch barrels.
4) It's easier than a pump or semiauto to break open (or even unload) silently when need be, such as when crossing a fence.

Have mostly used standard 2-3/4" 1-1/4 ounce loads, mostly #5 shot, with no problems out to 45 yards, as far as I've ever shot at a turkey with the Sauer. Did kill one gobbler in Nebraska with 1-3/8 ounce Bismuth 5's, because non-toxic shot was required in that area, again no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John, haven't you heard that a turkey's neck is straight up and down and your bbls are side by side !!!

Charlie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My lovely wife bought me an 870 in 3.5" with the 23" turkey barrel several years ago so that's what I use.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had the following over the last 30 years of turkey hunting:
1. Browning 3 inch A5 #1 wouldn't hit within 18 inches of POA
2. Browning 3 inch A5 #2 warranty of #1 wouldn't shoot a pattern good enough to kill one a 30 yards.
3. Remington SP 10 #1 no camo.
4. SP 10 #2 camo. Cracked receiver.
5. SP 10 #3 warranty of #4. Got so stinking heavy I couldn't stand carrying it any longer and it wouldn't kill em any better than a good 12 gauge.
6. H&K branded Benelli M1 Super 90 24 inch barrel. Great gun and still have it. Used it for probably 15 years.
7. Benelli M2 21 inch barrel equipped with a Leupold Delta Point Pro reflex sight set up to shoot #9 TSS shot. NOW THATS A TURKEY GUN!!!!!!!

Last edited by BangPop; 02/21/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try a 40-45# recurve for something different. Southwest Archery 64” Spyder XL takedown for about $140. Excellent bow.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 673, 7mm_Loco, 1minute, 22 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,359
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.