Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by T_Inman
It's a perfectly adequate round, but not as powder efficient as a .243. A fair bit more powder for a modest extra FPS.

[Linked Image]

I've killed a pile of antelope with one too, and a cow elk. All with the Speer 100 BTSP-No issues what so ever.

Damn that's a nice pic.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s all I’ve used the last few years, love the chambering, well the improved version anyhow. Got a nilla 6 77 ruger, this is my 660 improved
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother has run a plain jane Remington 788 for decades. Scary accurate with moderate reloads. Several kills out past 300 yards. The 788 is known as an accurate gun and this one lives up to that reputation.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a couple Remington 788's, an Enfield and a Mauser barreled in 6MM. Like the cartridge much better than the 243. Not any more though moved on.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It is a superior cartridge to the .243 Win. No?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depends on your definition of "superior".

It is generally faster than a .243 Win, but not by much and what little speed advantage it has comes from more powder burned and that speed advantage tapers off quickly at a couple hundred yards, depending on which bullet is used.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not me, but my old retired Vet Uncles have been shooting deer and pigs with them for more than 45 years that I know of, they're in their early to late 70's now, plane old store bought 100 gr Remington core-loks have kept their freezers full decade after decade, still today, if you hear one of them shoot, go on over, there'll be a deer to drag out. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had one (Ruger 77) back in the early 80's, sold it and bought it back about 5 years ago. Still kills groundhogs very well. I need to do something with the crappy replacement stock it now wears to make me like it better in the deer woods but it worked back when, so it will work again.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have had several...Recently built a Mod 7 with a Brux one in 7 twist and love it as much as the 700 I shot deer and coyotes with for 30 years...Stupid accurate.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem
It is a superior cartridge to the .243 Win. No?

Yes, Not as popular as the 243 Win, but longer Neck and greater capacity, far outweigh the reduced availability in this Loonies mind.

6mm CM is the coming thing though. shorter than both 243 and 6mm; but the CM is wider at the shoulder .462", .454" and .429" respectively
fits better in SA with VLDs and the like plus has a tight twist out of the gate.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6remington.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd243winchester.jpg

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's a perfectly adequate round, but not as powder efficient as a .243. A fair bit more powder for a modest extra FPS.

I've killed a pile of antelope with one too, and a cow elk. All with the Speer 100 BTSP-No issues what so ever.

Mornin Tin man:

I ask you to take this in the spirit I intend. NOT to argue just to pass on what I came to find out per 243/6mm R.

WAY back there a Gun Writer - either Wooters OR JRS - printed that there was ONLY 1 grain difference in the WORKING pressures between the 2 rounds. At the time I had not owned a 6mm R. Since then I've owned 2-3 and HAVE 1 today.

Guess What ? When using the Same Powders and Same Bullets in both cartridges - there is ONLY 1 grain of additional powder in the 6mm R
when you reach optimum WORKING pressures, and the velocities of both rounds will be close --depending on individual barrels.

I didn't believe it until I proved to myself.

Very Nice buck.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like it a lot.

About ten years ago I was visiting the LGS and there was a nice never fired 6mm walnut M77 on the consignment wall... seller asking $450. I offered $400 (confident he would not take it) and the seller took it (come to find out he inherited it, was not a rifleman, and just wanted $$$). Come to find out it is an early 90's M77 with the pushfeed bolt that looks like a CRF. I topped it with a VX1 2x7-33 and like the setup a lot. it is not light (8lb 2oz as I recall) but a pussycat to shoot. Factory ammo used has included Winchester PP, Remington CL, Federal 80 and 100 softpoints and Federal 100 NP. All shot about an inch to an inch and a quarter at 100 yards shooting off an impromptu rest. I like the cartridge because I like being a contrarian (I do not have a 243). I have not scored on any game animals with it but am confident the 100 NP will more than do the job if I do mine. As I get older, I realize this may be the rifle that takes me into my 80s if I make it that far.

as others have pointed out, the 243 and 6 Creed will keep stealing the show, but if you have a nice 6mm, who cares?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Took my first deer with a 788. Have had a special fondness for it since. Mule Deer writes that it doesn't stretch brass quite like the 243 does. I'm having a fast twist (1-7 1/2") barrel made for a Blaser R8 that should prove it's worth quite well. A cursory glance of ballistics when compared to the 6mm Creedmoor doesn't show a lot of difference when using the long, heavies.
I will very likely use it on my NM pronghorn next August and will also see how it does shooting some long range steel.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 02/18/18.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son shoots a 6mm Rem. Highwall and loves it. Factory 100 Federal SP's does a number on deer and hogs. It's accurate, too.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a Rem 7400, Ruger M77, Rem 600 and a Ruger #1. I would say yes. I have a love for the 6mm. Have killed many deer, antelope, coyotes and pigs. Mostly with 100 gr Coreloks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My dad and his best friend got a matched pair of 6mm's around or slightly before 1960. They used them for all game hunting from deer, antelope, and elk to sheep and goat. After some years, my dad moved on to other cartridges, including the 7mm RM, and eventually decided that a 257 Roberts was plenty for his hunting needs. His pal stuck with the 6mm, and as his 4 sons came of age, they also got 6mm's for all of their med/big game hunting. My dad and his buddy handloaded much or all of that time, and eventually 100 gr Partitions became the bullet of choice for the 6's.

My dad passed away two years ago, but his friend still goes after deer, elk, and antelope, still gets out with his sons, and they still use 6mm's. It has always been "enough gun" for that group, who are hunters first and shooters second. I recall my dad was both a hunter and shooter. He always tried to get within 100yds, particularly on elk, but he could put a bullet into "the pocket" several times that distance. I've never seen a consistently better shot on animals, though my older brother comes close.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've got a friend that has one. He only has one rifle and he has complete faith in it, as it has dispatched many whitetails over the years. He just uses whatever factory ammo he can scrounge up. Not the way I roll, but to each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall

Mornin Tin man:

I ask you to take this in the spirit I intend. NOT to argue just to pass on what I came to find out per 243/6mm R.

WAY back there a Gun Writer - either Wooters OR JRS - printed that there was ONLY 1 grain difference in the WORKING pressures between the 2 rounds. At the time I had not owned a 6mm R. Since then I've owned 2-3 and HAVE 1 today.

Guess What ? When using the Same Powders and Same Bullets in both cartridges - there is ONLY 1 grain of additional powder in the 6mm R
when you reach optimum WORKING pressures, and the velocities of both rounds will be close --depending on individual barrels.

Very Nice buck.

Jerry

Could very well be. I honestly know very little about working pressures and such, and my experiences could certainly be skewed by my small sample sizes of loading for (1) 6mm and (2) .243s. My 6mm was a tang safety Ruger, which IME can take pressures well above what most books call "max". The .243s were a R700 and a Win 70, both of which I have found pressure signs closer to book max loads. Maybe the strength of the Ruger's action is why I have it in my mind that the 6mm can take a fair bit more powder than the .243...

Thanks for the info.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Several guys and relatives in my home town in East Tex used the Mod 742 in 6mm , only one was scoped, and it was the "Ne Plus Ultra". The were a few 788s, one early Remington bolt .244, and it seems to me that almost all used factory 100 Corlokts. My BIL and his 788 enjoyed his handloader friend and the Speer 90gr was used. In the Mod 742 they worked like a charm, didn't jam like the 30-06 did a lot and it was flat enough that the iron sights ( which we were all taught by our elders that you "cannot" use a scope in those thick woods! smile ) I even have a Pastor friend ( originally from Louisiana) who moved to Colorado and used his own Mod 742/6mm on elk! I had a tricked out heavy varminter made up one time about 15yrs ago in 6mm. I only shot the 65 Vmax. It would turn a prairie dog into a grease smear! Since I never shot it past 400yds, I sold it before I burnt the throat up, and just used a CZ 527 in .204 after that. But its a good one.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwall

Mornin Tin man:

Very Nice buck.

Jerry

Could very well be. I honestly know very little about working pressures and such, and my experiences could certainly be skewed by my small sample sizes of loading for (1) 6mm and (2) .243s. My 6mm was a tang safety Ruger, which IME can take pressures well above what most books call "max". The .243s were a R700 and a Win 70, both of which I have found pressure signs closer to book max loads. Maybe the strength of the Ruger's action is why I have it in my mind that the 6mm can take a fair bit more powder than the .243...

Thanks for the info.

The data I've seen lists about 2 grains difference for optimum powders in both, with those 2 grains producing about 100fps higher speed for the 6. I think it depends on the brass used, as well as which powder you pick. In Wooters's day, what powders did they use in the 243 and 6mm's? 4350? 4831? 760? Our more modern powders do better, which, from the data I've seen, likely explains the 100% discrepancy in working pressure powder differences then and now.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.