Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at something new that I haven't done yet and noticed some recently made Model 1885 Traditional Hunters in 38-55, these have the factory mounted peep sights on them, Marbles I think. While my eyes are still good enough I've been really enjoying clanging steel with peep sighted rifles, but it's getting rather hard to find new rifles with a) open sights or a provision for same, b) barrels long enough to get that front sight far enough out for my eye to focus on and c) stocks with combs low enough to use peep sights. I know Sharps and various companies make a lot of nice replicas of old long barreled single shots but those get real spendy. The Winchester, while a bit pricey, is still within the upper limit of my comfort zone and fits all three criteria.

Looking at the .38-55 instead of a .45-70 since the bullets are lighter (less expensive lead per shot) and with that crescent butt plate I want to keep the recoil down. 250 gr. bullets at 1400 fps or so in a 9 pound rifle aren't going to loosen my teeth and wouldn't be punishing to send 30-40 rounds downrange in a morning.

The Winchester (Miroku) 1885 already has a pretty good rep overall but I was wondering if there was anything one should know about this specific caliber in this rifle? Never reloaded for a .38-55, in fact know next to nothing about it which is why the opportunity to learn attracts me to it. There are two case lengths offered, 2.082" and 2.125", why the difference and does anyone know which one the Winchester takes? Hornady lists the bullet diameter as .375 but other folks say the real diameter should be .378". Molds offered for 38-55 run .377" up to .380" diameter. Anyone know what the true bore diameter of the Winchester is? I'd probably shoot 99% cast so I could tailor the diameter to whatever is needed but the chance to shoot a jacketed bullet or two would be nice without having to special order something.

Other than those specific questions, any comments anyone wants to offer about this chambering in the Winchester would be appreciated.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think I recall reading that they're .379, but just call them and ask. I'll bet that the info is also to be found on one if the sites devoted to either the 1885s or cast bullets.

This is what search engines are for.

Found this: https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/1594-38-55-winchester.html

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/07/18.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I had a 38-55 Traditional Hunter with a 28 inch barrel for a while. It shot jacketed bullets very well, especially the 235 grain Speer (.375 inch) with a moderate load of Re7. I didn't experiment much with cast bullets, though it did shoot .376 cast reasonably well. That rifle was sold when I found the same rifle with a 22 inch barrel (the "Short Hunter") which handles much better for me. I just hope it shoots as well. It's been too cold and snowy to spend much range time with the new rifle.
I have read that the standard chamber for the 38-55 will handle either the short or long brass. My hand loads have used the 2.08 brass but I have also shot some old Rem-UMC ammo with the longer cases. No issues with either one.
Both rifles have been scoped using a Talley base and quick detach rings. Hopefully, that will allow the use of the tang sight when the scope is removed.
The Winchester 1885 in 38-55 is a great combination! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve had one for several years and really enjoy shooting it. It’s bored for .375 bullets and does really well with H-4895 and the Hornady 220 flat point (which I think has been discontinued) and the Sierra 200 flat point. I haven’t done much work with cast bullets but that’s in the plans. I had to scope mine; the old eyeballs don’t do very well with irons or peeps anymore.

It’s a really nice rifle with good fit/finish with a very solid action and good trigger. It’s a little heavy but I can deal with that and gives very little recoil.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great rifle, too bad someone bought it out from under me. cry

I had seen a gunbroker auction for a NIB Traditional Hunter 38-55 which was already priced at about the upper limit of my comfort zone. No one had bid on it so I figured to just meet the starting bid and see if the Universe wanted me to have it. While I was making the original post and checking on line for availability of brass, bullets, dies and such, someone hit the buy it now which was more than I really wanted to pay anyway.

Oh well, dem's da breaks. whistle

There are some Traditional Hunters in .45-70 at auction for a bit less than the .38-55 was including one nearby which has no reserve and current bid under $800, but it has 10 days to go so that will change. 45-70 is my second choice so I'll keep looking for a 38-55 but a 45-70 would probably be as, if not more practical.

But thanks for the good feedback. I've been less than totally happy with some Ruger #1 purchases the past couple of years even with their better barrels these days, and now with new Rugers selling for as much as used but good shape 1885's it looks like I'll be searching for the latter more often.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just stay away from the crescent-buttplate models unless you enjoy physical therapy.

Gunbroker is tricky. Sometimes you get snaked by lurkers, and sometimes you can place a half-assed just-in-case bid and end up a winner. I usually just bid the most I'm willing and able to spend and let it ride. Mostly now I just stay away to keep from making impulse bids.

If you really want the .38/55, keep at it. It took a long time for opportunity and resources to come together for me on my .44, but it finally did.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/09/18.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Yep, be patient and another will pop up. The crescent buttplate is no problem in the 38/55 but I’d be a bit leary of one in 45/70.

Last edited by navlav8r; 02/09/18.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

There's a "Short Hunter" twin of my rifle on GB now.
The 1885 with a recoil pad (the "Sporter" model, I think it's called) in 45-70 is very comfortable to shoot. Haven't tried, and don't think I want to try, the 45-70 with the crescent butt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eblake

There's a "Short Hunter" twin of my rifle on GB now.
The 1885 with a recoil pad (the "Sporter" model, I think it's called) in 45-70 is very comfortable to shoot. Haven't tried, and don't think I want to try, the 45-70 with the crescent butt.

Take it from me, it's like being tomahawked in the shoulder.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, that's about what I expected. Sounds like fun.
Decades ago I shot a .50 caliber TC Hawken with the brass crescent butt. Being less sensible in those days, I'd return from shooting with a bruised shoulder that wouldn't allow more shooting for days.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
2.125 was the original 38.55 brass length, most rifles would probably handle either. i have a winchester commemorative that is right at .375, but a winchester 1900 made take down that i have to guage but suspect it will be something like .3 78 or so, they are all over the map.
the 38.55 in 1900 was considered a target shooter's gun, they can be accurate.
i bought the legendary plainsman winchester without the box, but never been shot. friend and i took it out loaded with the barnes bullet i want to say without checking at about 1600fps, and set u p some clay pigeons at 100 to 125yards on a very windy day. Neither of us had any problems hitting them regularly. the 38.55 is the reason i ended up buying a marlin 375winchester, which is basically the 38.55 on steroids. In it i have the powder and bullets to push it to around 2300fps but havent done so yet.
Which i have done is the lyman 247 grain mould at about 1800fps. Dead butt accurate and you can hear the whomp when it hits something.
I like that caliber a lot.
the way the story goes, you can shoot the 38.55 ammo in the 375 but not the reverse, because of the pressure differences.
i call the 38.55 the "light" 45.70 and kind of think of it as a .308 to the 30.06.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One door closes etc...

Found this one in a Cabela's gun library in Ohio, Traditional Hunter in 38-55. It has much nicer wood than the one I had been looking at on gunbroker. Talked to the Cabela's guys here in Boise and in Ohio and they actually have a decent arrangement. I have to pay to have it shipped to Boise ($25, not a big deal) but once here I can look it over and decide if I really want to buy it or not, basically you get right of first refusal. So at worst I'm out 25 bucks but IMO that's a decent trade off to actually hold it in my hands before sending umpteen bucks off based solely on pictures. There would be no FFL fee on this end so that's a wash for the shipping charge. I would have to pay Idaho sales tax but Cabela's gives a 5% military/veteran discount which basically pays for the tax. The local guy also said they might be able to do better than what it's listed for - we all know how that goes but still, you never know. wink They'll ship it out tomorrow so it should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eblake
Yeah, that's about what I expected. Sounds like fun.
Decades ago I shot a .50 caliber TC Hawken with the brass crescent butt. Being less sensible in those days, I'd return from shooting with a bruised shoulder that wouldn't allow more shooting for days.

Trust me, it's much more fun than that!😱

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
38-55 Brass

Jim,

You can also make 38-55 brass from 30-30. I forget how many grains of bullseye (or other fast powder), just a few,then find how much to fully blow the case walls out and then fill the case with cream of wheat and a tp wad and fire. It's been quite awhile... but I think the cases may have been shorter... really not an issue. You do want them all the same length though so that Your crimp is the same on all rounds.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 02/12/18.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the tip. So far I've only found Starline and Winchester brass, I think they are the only ones who make it. But fortunately two or three places have Starline brass in stock for a very reasonable price for such low demand brass.

Speaking of .30-30, I'm kind of surprised Winchester doesn't/didn't make their new Low wall in .30-30. Guess they figured there wasn't enough demand. The long range BPCR guys want the big bores and most folks thinking .30-30 will think of a lever action.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Quick Jim, buy these now!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Cabelas-Gift-Card-For-Only-80-FREE-Mail-Delivery/292443230899?epid=13004447133&hash=item4416f992b3:g:sOMAAOSwEzxYRtS6

Save you another $60 (you can only buy 3 at a time, unless your wife buys some too wink ). They should get to you before you hafta pick up the rifle. I've used thousands of dollars worth.

*edit: Too late now, sold out. These come up for sale at a 18-20% discount every week or two. I buy and save them up, most of my Cabelas purchases are made with them

Last edited by tmitch; 02/13/18.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks for the tip. So far I've only found Starline and Winchester brass, I think they are the only ones who make it. But fortunately two or three places have Starline brass in stock for a very reasonable price for such low demand brass.

Speaking of .30-30, I'm kind of surprised Winchester doesn't/didn't make their new Low wall in .30-30. Guess they figured there wasn't enough demand. The long range BPCR guys want the big bores and most folks thinking .30-30 will think of a lever action.

Starline sells direct, often for a bit less than the retailers, although retailers usually have smaller batches.

Starline handgun brass is all I buy.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When the rifle gets to your local Cabelas it never hurts to ask if they can do better on price. I have done that 3 times in the Avon Ohio store with surprisingly good results
I have 2 of the silver boxes of Winchester ammo and no 38-55 , perhaps we should talk

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got the rifle this morning and so far I am very happy.

Fit and finish are excellent and the wood is beautiful as the pics above show. It's got good figure and is a rich dark brown. This was used and there are some tiny safe dents in a couple of places but unless you look in good light you'd miss them, otherwise it looks brand new. Wood at the stock is a teensy bit proud of the receiver but that's only for a very critical eye, mostly everything sits flush and it's lots less proud than any current Ruger No. 1 I've looked at. The metal buttplate is absolutely flush. The previous owner adjusted the trigger down as low as it will go, it breaks at a very consistent (+- 1 ounce) 3 1/2 pounds, very crisp and minimal overtravel.

The bore is tight which is perfect for me. I slugged it first thing and going around three points groove diameter measures right at .3751". I'm thinking a cast bullet of my #2 alloy sized to .376" and fired in the 1400-1600 fps range should be the bees knees for this thing, plus normal .375" jacked bullets should do very well. Got a box of HSM Cowboy Action loads with it, that's a 240 grain RNFP but it doesn't say at what velocity. I wanted to slug the bore before placing an order for dies and bullets but wanted something to make it go bang this weekend.

Only possible fly in the ointment is that the Marbles tang sight wiggles forward and back in the upright position. Not a lot but it's there. That could cause some vertical stringing if it rests at a slightly different spot each time. You can see there is a groove in the bottom of the pivoting upright which apparently goes over a detent in the base. I'm going to call Marbles about that and see what they say. Another thing is that the aperture stem is threaded for a smaller insert than the normal .210" or so Williams and other apertures. Not a big deal but the factory aperture is pretty small and sometimes I like a larger one, again we'll see what Marbles has to offer.

Right now the rear buckhorn sight dovetail is soaking in BreakFree, it's in there tighter than a nun's you know what and I don't want to whack it too hard to remove it. It has to be removed or it's right in the way of the rear peep. That kind of surprised me, you'd think they'd offer a fold down rear but oh well.

Finally, got a real decent price on it. I did some homework on Cabela's ads on Guns International which show what a gun's price "was" and "is" for those that hadn't sold. The gun library guy didn't offer much off at first but I showed him the normal percentage drop I was seeing across the county for rifles which had sat a while, made an offer based on that and he accepted so I got a bit over $200 off the original price.

I've never been a die hard single shot guy and when I did get one it was a Ruger but so far this Miroku 1885 really impresses me. Haven't shot it yet but based on appearance and just "feel" it's an extremely well made rifle. I am very much a happy camper with my new toy here. smile

Btw, if anyone has any suggestions on how to tighten up that Marble's upright I'm all ears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 51 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.