-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was astounded by the remarks by both the sheriff and the gov of Florida at the news conference yesterday — “we have to make sure this never happens again!” How do you do that short of a totalitarian state and even then nobody can guarantee anything. Insulting. How does that happen in a republic known for its personal freedoms and its 2nd amendment?

Right back to the indignant, breast-beating, gun-control palaver. We had guns in our cars in high school and our dorm room closets in college but somehow mass shootings by marginalized people of evil intent did not occur. Of course, In the last mid-century, we were a much more civil nation than now too. What changed? Either the left is really stupid or cynical beyond belief, knowing that these occurrences are really a part and parcel product of the valueless world view they have brow-beat this country with the last half century. Nobody wants to seem to ask about a root cause analysis when they can jump right to a gun-control cause.

Another question: what do these sheriffs think they are doing by doing a stand-up, minute-by-minute, blow-by-blow account of the scenario like I heard today? None of this should be that publicized. The next deviant actually get a baseline blueprint from which to tailor his plan. Or the seed-idea from which he will grow one.

And then there is the fact that too many adults in high places knew about this kid and his threats and troubles.

Something is very rotten and it’s not in Denmark.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I was astounded by the remarks by both the sheriff and the gov of Florida at the news conference yesterday — “we have to make sure this never happens again!” How do you do that short of a totalitarian state and even then nobody can guarantee anything. Insulting. How does that happen in a republic known for its personal freedoms and its 2nd amendment?

Right back to the indignant, breast-beating, gun-control palaver. We had guns in our cars in high school and our dorm room closets in college but somehow mass shootings by marginalized people of evil intent did not occur. Of course, In the last mid-century, we were a much more civil nation than now too. What changed? Either the left is really stupid or cynical beyond belief, knowing that these occurrences are really a part and parcel product of the valueless world view they have brow-beat this country with the last half century. Nobody wants to seem to ask about a root cause analysis when they can jump right to a gun-control cause.

Another question: what do these sheriffs think they are doing by doing a stand-up, minute-by-minute, blow-by-blow account of the scenario like I heard today? None of this should be that publicized. The next deviant actually get a baseline blueprint from which to tailor his plan. Or the seed-idea from which he will grow one.

And then there is the fact that too many adults in high places knew about this kid and his threats and troubles.

Something is very rotten and it’s not in Denmark.

Right? If history has taught us anything, it's that people will be killing people, so long as there are people to kill.

Cain slew Abel with a rock and there were less people on earth than fingers on my hand.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think the military was heading in the right direction when they went from the M-1 Garand to the M-14. To me the next logical step would have been something akin to the Ruger Mini 14 firing a 7.62X39 round necked to 6.5 or 7mm.
The first time I picked up an M-16 in Navy Gunner's Mate school I couldn't believe how small the locking lugs were and the need for an assist. IMO, if it needed an assist it was a deeply flawed design.
The current AR platform is proof that if you throw enough time, money and effort at a design you will eventually end up with a decent weapon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To my point — it’s not the rock, club, or gun, that kills, it’s the heart. Which is why we need a (more) moral-based society which we as a nation subscribed to to a greater degree and jettisoned in the recent past because we were told and taught it is anachronistic and passe’ But laws (gun laws) don’t capture the conscience, morals do.

Interesting you brought up the Bible, the source for divine, moral law.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

To my point — it’s not the rock, club, or gun, that kills, it’s the heart. Which is why we need a (more) moral-based society which we as a nation subscribed to to a greater degree and jettisoned in the recent past because we were told and taught it is anachronistic and passe’ But laws (gun laws) don’t capture the conscience, morals do.

Yes, divine, moral law. Which shows you that the law means nothing.

What many forget about the Bible is that it also shows the nature of man/

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yes, divine, moral law. Which shows you that the law means nothing.

What many forget about the Bible is that it also shows the nature of man/

No, the law was/is meaningful. It was/is the “mirror” that reveals our true state — our fallen nature which I agree with you about.
Which is why Christ came.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 02/15/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
These people believe the .223 round tumbles through the air and does massive damage because of this.

You're way toooooo deep in the weeds.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I trained 800 Officers on the M14 and of thousands of rounds fired not one stoppage/malfunction! As for full-auto fire and control....the average individual without training won’t be able to control muzzle rise! With training it can be done quite well!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I see that a lot of the opposition is part of the Dumbd Down Society of today. You have been brainwashed into believing all you see in the Media & TV.
I don't judge anyone by their affilliation as that is only used as a coverup for their actions. As with Most Politicians today who go by Republican are mostly RINO"S and that is exactly what Macnamara was a RINO.

I'll leave you to your own misery's to ponder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I remember it as the M16 and it was said to be made by Matel.....

1960s Mattel made a toy called the 'M-16 Marauder'
...hence the adopted nickname ' barbie gun' for the real polymer M16.

Hasbro Co. made an M16 accessory to go with their 1960s 'G.I. Joe' Green Beret doll
Hmmm...so why the real M16 was not nicknamed the 'G.I Joe gun'...I don't know..??... laugh

Cops have shot & killed a customer in Walmart for handling a toy rifle he picked up off the retail shelf...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I remember it as the M16 and it was said to be made by Matel.....

1960s Mattel made a toy called the 'M-16 Marauder'

I had one!

405wcf

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Armednfree
The later proved uncontrollable in full-auto in the M-14

In the M-14, which was a piece of finicky crap. Controllable in the FN-FAL which is what all of NATO should have gone to.

I suspect the wife and I have shot more rounds through an M1A than a lot have... we found them FAR from finicky... VERY FAR.

I suspect you have. Was this an static firing line/target range or an real world hotspot where you and the wife were receiving enemy engagement?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Engagement no, but if you know what rattle battle is, short of full auto, its as close as one can get for aimed fire..... Pretty damn sure that incoming rounds don't scare the gun.... and we have been prone in water and mud doing it at Perry....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fugawe
I think the military was heading in the right direction when they went from the M-1 Garand to the M-14. To me the next logical step would have been something akin to the Ruger Mini 14 firing a 7.62X39 round necked to 6.5 or 7mm.
The first time I picked up an M-16 in Navy Gunner's Mate school I couldn't believe how small the locking lugs were and the need for an assist. IMO, if it needed an assist it was a deeply flawed design.
The current AR platform is proof that if you throw enough time, money and effort at a design you will eventually end up with a decent weapon.

I"m just going out on a limb here, that the op rod on the M1/M14 and M1 carbine are and have been used both as the op rod AND a forward assist.... [bleep] designs I suppose.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
The inventor of the AR rifles had it designed for DuPont ? pellitized POWDER and the Army decided to increase velocity by using ball powder which gummed up the works iirc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/

The particular deficiency you mentioned was caught and corrected quickly. The increased pressure from the ball powder caused the M16 to be over gassed. A heavier buffer was designed and all in country buffers were quickly replaced.

I had very few problems with my M16A1, and a grand total of zero with the various M16A2's I was issued.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.