Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"was" being the operative word. But, hidden under the gray there still is a "like 30" year old at heart.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tomk
Considering aging well, I thought Michiganroadkill was like 30....

Don't take Ernie's thunder away dude.....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grin...yeah, the 30 yr old in me was willing to hunt longer this AM, but the rest of me froze out by 9:30....

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks like the younger in me will be having a 257 Bob to play with soon.
I needed something to wear to the party.

I was kinda hoping to get out for the late antlerless season, but not sure how the
conditions are in the White Cloud area, but they suck here. Guess I will be cleaning
up the last of the frezzer burnt venison this coming year.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tim, I took your 257 loads out to Jane in Colorado. She is working on baby #2, so that 257 isn't getting out much. Are you putting another 257 together?

Snowy but plenty of deer here and they are active. Not this AM though, of course. Carol got one in the driveway about a month ago, busting the corner of her bumper and another took the front end out near the 7 Mile about two weeks ago... $5000 estimate.

My friend, I always appreciated the invite to hunt with you on your WC property. But I hate to shoot a deer from out under a guy...so I thought it best to hunt it when you weren't there. Here are a couple of 1 1/2 year olds I culled off of it for you this year, due to their obvious genetic deficiencies

[Linked Image]

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Will Fellows count me in! Ill be comeing down with RAS as it looks like Turkey season is the following weekend!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Will Fellows count me in! Ill be comeing down with RAS as it looks like Turkey season is the following weekend!

Just remember, we are working on Ernie's self confidence so be sure to tell him how good he looks when you show up.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tom
Yeah, we let those walk for the poachers.
I didn't see much in your UP spots. Your home in the bullseye for CWD ????

I have a Ruger 77RL in 257 Bob coming my way. I have one in 308 I got in early 90s that I love, so......
Now I need 257 brass and bullets again. Fortunately I kept the dies.

By the time for the shoot out, I should have it tweaked in.

Albert Einstein

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll bet you do...:)

Nope, clean in both. I imagine the wolves and coyotes took care of any UP issue for the next decade...better this year but still pretty sparse except in pockets.

If I had known I would have bought your loads--just got back Thurs from CO. Am headed back out the first of April and will see if they survived the winter. Someone ought to shoot them! I do kinda miss that 257. Made up a lighter 6.5/257 to take its place.

Defend the Constitution
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Speaking of Bobs I’m still loving the Kimber 84M I bought from Rylee after shooting it at the 2016 Get Together. It served me very nicely in Pennsylvania that fall and if I’d have had it with me in Honor opening weekend I’d may have an empty freezer.

Looking forward to this event gentlemen! I hope everybody’s enjoying the deep freeze!!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bump for Ernie!

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would like to be there as well.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by JackVliet

Awesome Jack! You honk you’d be able to make it for breakfast at New Beginnibgs in Coopersville?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What time would that be?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

Awesome Jack! You honk you’d be able to make it for breakfast at New Beginnibgs in Coopersville?
Sure wish I could make it Eric. Did you see there's going to be a Savage Fest in August in southern Wisconsin? I'm going to that. Any interest in matching up there?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
What time would that be?

Yet to be determined prolly 830-9?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll try to make it. Any shotgun shooting?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bump!

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I will try to attend. Sounds like a good time.

I also wanted to share here and now my efforts to use my 45/70 here in SW Michigan. As most of you probably know here in my part of MI if we want to use a "modern" firearm as opposed to shotgun or muzzle loader we are limited to using straight walled cases that are no longer than 1.8". I thought that ruled out my 45/70 which has a case length of 2.105" but found out that if I trim the cases back to 1.8" then I can use it. I was stoked to learn this.

I decided to initially see if I could get a suitable load developed using the Missouri Cast Bullets 405 grain coated bullet. Before moving to Michigan I had worked up several great loads with various bullets one of which was the Missouri coated cast 405 grain bullet using a full length case and 43 grains of H4198 and a CCI 200 primer which gave me 1600 fps. If I tried to get much over that velocity I would get terrible accuracy due to terrible leading. The coating they use apparently is not adequate for higher velocities.

With these shortened cases I figured I could load the bullet out long (that is not seat the bullet to the crimp groove but rather seat it to the grease groove closest to the crimp groove) which should reduce pressures somewhat. I had to buy a custom Lee Factory Crimp Die and have my sizing die shortened. Even though I loaded the bullet to crimp over what would normally be a grease groove instead of to the crimp groove I figured I would likely still need to reduce the powder charge. The loaded cartridge length is now 2.5" instead of 2.52" when loaded in a full length case to the crimp groove.

Initially with these shortened cases I tried 40 grains and then 38 grains and finally 37.3 grains. I think the 37.3 grain load will likely be the one I settle on. Velocity averaged 1480 fps.

I need to do a bit more shooting but so far it looks quite promising. Shooting from a standing position I had a sandbag placed on my fence rail to support the fore end and my shooting sticks supporting the buttstock and fired a 3 shot group at 55 yards. The group was horizontal with all bullets touching and measured 0.6" center to center. I think the deer are in trouble!

The gun is a Marlin 1895 SBL and I have a Leupold Vari X 2 2-7 scope with additional dots below the crosshair for further distance aim points. If zeroed at 100 yards I should be on at 125, 150 and 175 with the other aim points.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Can we get a tally of who all is planning to attend?

If you are and your name isn’t listed here say so; this will help Denny & me get our arms around this.

We’ll plan to meet at the Coopersville New Beginnings at 8 and then convoy over to the Club and start shooting 1030-11?

We’ll grill burgers dogs & brats at Club, Whelenman’s better half is making her delicious baked beans, and we’ll potluck sides & desserts.

Here are those who I could tell are planning to make it for sure:

Efw
Whelenman
Saddlering
M_stevenson
Michiganroadkill
12344Mag
RAS
405WCF
JD338
JBMI
labsandelk
Rylee

(12 total)

there were a lot who said they’d like to but weren’t sure so if you’re now sure say so here and I’ll add your name!

I’ve gotten a lot of offers to help proving once again this is an awesome place to be; I’ll circle back to you gentlemen as the time draws nearer and unknowns become known.

Thanks so much gentlemen,

Ernie

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.