Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The idea of arming school teachers gets batted around here and elsewhere quite a bit.

I am generally opposed to it.

I have had the acquaintance of quite a few teachers in my life. I have two families of them as neighbors. Of all the ones I have known, I would not want to be within a hundred yards of any of them if they had a firearm in their hands. Not ALL teachers, of course, but MOST of them seem not to have a real firm grip on reality, common sense or good judgement, they seem to be the perfect embodiment of the term "snowflake". I honestly do not believe any amount of training would render them competent with a firearm or endow them with the mental capability to react with it in a dangerous, stressful situation. The fact that 90% of them at least are flaming liberals doesnt help any, yet I know two who are conservative gun nuts of the first order, instructors in Hunter Ed and so forth, both of them are goofy as the day is long and I dont want to be around them either.

If we are going to have armed personnel in our schools, let it be professionals; police officers and trained security people who know what they are doing.

Your thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Very few schools in my area have any man teachers anymore. Or even bus drivers.

School is run by bitches.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Even the SRO was female. Sgt hooks from police academy type. 4-11" dorf penquin dyke. Dorf with a beretta.

Ninja please

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Respect for your view, with agreement most teachers shouldn't. I think people who should and could be
responsibly armed should be prerequisite, for school staff. We require parents to protect children, then
require that kids be educated to a point, mostly outside of parental supervision. It follows that those who
are qualified to instruct be required to protect. I don't care if it's teachers, though it would be great if a
teaching applicant could get a job over others because he/she was protection qualified- like hiring a
teacher because you need a coach- but I do think protection personnel should be always armed and
prepared, where public school is required.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think if they want to, they should be able to. That will weed out the snowflakes. Train the remainder.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When we had the first hand-wringing, do-nothing-of-substance staff meeting after Columbine, I volunteered that I would be willing (and capable) of carrying. You would have thought that I had just told the biggest joke in the history of western civilization. I guess I at least lightened the mood.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Initial training should be rigorous, expensive, with cost borne by the individual. Outcome of initial training is a professional credential or license which, like most other professional licenses, requires annual or biannual continuing education/training. This is terror interdiction training, not CC training, and should be treated as such. Snowflakes should wash out due to training rigor. I don't know what this looks like because I'm not LE or military, but I presume select LE and military minds could come up with appropriate training.

Credentialing per the above would grant hiring preference and a non-modest salary bump: enough to incentivize. Continuing education and training would be paid by the school, and would count for whatever continuing ed is required to keep their teaching certs. Effort must be made to keep ID of those credentialed confidential - any sort of published annual accounting must only state #s of credentialed in a school...no names. Students and staff would clue in, but this adds a layer of uncertainty (deterrence) for attackers.

The credentialed would have no duty to engage, and would be protected from liability, as would the school, and this would need to be encoded in law. This hedges that those seeking credential are doing so in good faith.

Each classroom would be equipped with a visible safe, bolted to the wall, and secure from access by anyone except the school's armed security leader and the room's teacher, if he/she is credentialed per the above. This is needed to maintain visible deterrent...nobody knows what's in there. The credentialed teacher need not be carrying at all times.

Just some ignorant schmuck's unvetted ideas...

Last edited by Vek; 02/20/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Does anyone not realize our military is already on the payroll? If the snowflakes can't handle letting poor little Johny, and Suzzie be guarded by the best in the world. Then home school the little sons a beeches. Because it is obvious they are incapable of teaching them from kindergarten through 12th. To respect our military, and they are there to protect you. And are the best in the world. This along with concealed carry would end this chit!!! This chit is only complicated for retards. Oops I forgot they aren't retards, no one is shooting up the capital building. Guess that must mean either they have an agenda, or plain don't give a chit.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you really want to keep guns out of Schools. You put men at the Doors with guns. Simple. When they banned guns in Dodge City they did not just put up a sign. They put men at the edge of town with GUNS! I have no problem with gunfree zones as long as they are hardened. Until then I will continue to carry mine into gunfree zones.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are nearly 500,000 school buses in the US.

We have about 1,300,000 people in the military.

We can put one service person on each school bus in the country, or we can wage war, but not both.

If our schools are to be defended, the resources have to come from people already in place in schools, or from volunteers. The original American ideal was no standing army, and little in the way of a professional police force. It was more or less the Swiss model, where everybody goes about their normal business until there is a time of need.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is police at every school where I work. Two at high school and junior highs. We have our own armed police force.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Works for me. Israel (sorry TRH & Bristoe) have "hardened" their schools with both armed teachers as well as visitor controls and they have ZERO issues.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If they're not 110% sure they can pull the trigger, then not no, but hell no, snowflake commie lib teachers will not a good janitor make.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jnyork
The idea of arming school teachers gets batted around here and elsewhere quite a bit.

I have had the acquaintance of quite a few teachers in my life. I have two families of them as neighbors. Of all the ones I have known, I would not want to be within a hundred yards of any of them if they had a firearm in their hands. Not ALL teachers, of course, but MOST of them seem not to have a real firm grip on reality, common sense or good judgement, they seem to be the perfect embodiment of the term "snowflake". I honestly do not believe any amount of training would render them competent with a firearm or endow them with the mental capability to react with it in a dangerous, stressful situation. The fact that 90% of them at least are flaming liberals doesnt help any, yet I know two who are conservative gun nuts of the first order, instructors in Hunter Ed and so forth, both of them are goofy as the day is long and I dont want to be around them either.

If we are going to have armed personnel in our schools, let it be professionals; police officers and trained security people who know what they are doing.

Your thoughts?
How about "don't ask, don't tell," if you have a concealed weapon permit? That's the law in Utah. If you have a license, you can carry in school as an employee and not tell administrators. Administrators are also barred from asking teachers and staff members about it. The only restriction is that it must be concealed on the person at all times when on school property, and cannot be stored anywhere outside the immediate control of the teacher/staff member, so no locking them in lockers or desk drawers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
PS So far it seems to be working out well in Utah. They've permitted teacher carry for years now.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
"If we are going to have armed personnel in our schools, let it be professionals; police officers and trained security people who know what they are doing."

Totally disagree. All teachers/school staff already have the right to carry a firearm to protect themselves and their students just like any other law abiding citizen, not just the ones you'd prefer to have that right.

Last edited by victoro; 02/20/18.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by victoro
"If we are going to have armed personnel in our schools, let it be professionals; police officers and trained security people who know what they are doing."

Totally disagree. All teachers/school staff already have the right to of carry a firearm to protect themselves and their students just like any other law abiding citizen, not just the ones you'd prefer to have that right.

This.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Teachers/administrators would have to be only those that are willing and capable with extensive training. It should be top secret which teachers/administrators would be carrying.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jnyork

Your thoughts?

You must have a different breed of police officers there than what we have. I'm as comfortable with our teachers carrying as I am our local police force. They are all human, and some will make mistakes. The damned "no guns" signs sure ain't working.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How would you feel if your student were wounded or killed by collateral damage from minimumaly trained teachers engaging a threat? It's a job for well trained professionals who know how and when to engage a threat so that collateral damage is avoided. They're not perfect I'm not saying that but are far better trained at engaging a threat and returning fire under stress. Teacher's job is to protect the students, shelter in place/evacuate as the situation dictates. There have been active shooter situations on college and university campuses and the administration advised student CCW holders to move away from the area and wisely so.

Last edited by gunswizard; 02/20/18.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.