Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Man, people are dropping like flies.

Ben, Miles, Scott, John- we'll have to have a toast to them in absentia.

We hope it's not medical problems - pray they're healthy!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark - sorry to report that there is some of medical reason and mostly otherwise - but seems not avoidable in any case. These guys are of the best and we will miss them all. On the other hand, we have seemed to lack one or more we are eager to have at each gathering and those who get there always make it a great time. The reason for doing these makes them work so well for those that participate.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cutting this one tight. I took my M700 223 AI out a week ago to find it would not extract. I haven't shot it since 1996... I pick it up tomorrow from my 'smith, will hit the range on Wednesday and on the road Thursday.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed - that was 22 years ago - maybe just a gummy ejector pin. I didn't know that the ".223AI" was invented that far back - goes to prove I know hardly anything about that one. How is it in the wind - been blowing hard here on the mountain for two days - hoping that stuff is out of the SW by the weekend.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Paul,

Steve Timm was playing with it back then in Varmint Hunter magazine. The ejector is fine. It just will not pull the round from the chamber. I bought the replacement part from Brownell's and was going to do it myself but also read of problems replacing it. For $40 I gave to my guy. I seem to recall playing with H335 back then and having funny things going on... I have since heard similar from others. I am going to try TAC and found some old 62 gr Berger's on the shelf.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not been reading this daily and now its up to 21 pages, I don' t have the attention span to step thru every page. Can someone fill me in:
Location, exact, Lat/Long, FR road etc.
time, dates in the title say fri-sat-sun I presume some of you are going up friday, staying fri night & sat night?
what other activities are plan. 'yote hunt? Shooting? (tonto put in new restrictions but paper and steel are still legal). how many folks are showing up?

I probably can't head up friday but might be able to come up saturday afternoon.

Poole

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heading out. All have a safe journey.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill, some folks will be on site by Wednesday - the "official" stuff starts Friday afternoon with dinner as the kickoff - and most start homeward by Sunday noon.

The shooting contests begin after breakfast on Saturday and the descriptions of those shoots can be found earlier as post #12570841 - 01/22/18. The maps to the site are about three posts later. Hope you can make it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, thanks for freshening my mind on the .223AI - not something I followed at the time.

In my old .223 I've not gone past 60g bullets and only loaded those twice. It was a 60g Hornady with 25g of 4895 and that got close to 3,000 fps. It worked pretty good - of course, better in wind than the 50s and 55s, Have not yet loaded any TAC, but have used the Berger 62g in a 22/250 and it was good stuff.

This should be fun - safe travels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob - sure glad you are coming - drive safe and load good terbakky.

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I've not been reading this daily and now its up to 21 pages, I don' t have the attention span to step thru every page. Can someone fill me in:
Location, exact, Lat/Long, FR road etc.
time, dates in the title say fri-sat-sun I presume some of you are going up friday, staying fri night & sat night?
what other activities are plan. 'yote hunt? Shooting? (tonto put in new restrictions but paper and steel are still legal). how many folks are showing up?

I probably can't head up friday but might be able to come up saturday afternoon.

Poole

from Punkin center take FS409 W a mile or so and you come to a road to the right or it drops into the wash on the left, turn tight North and the camp is about 1/4 mile.

Kent

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So - the weather? In that we've had some unexpected precip two and three days ago followed by unusually high winds for two days (screaming like wild ladies up here at times), I started thinking about weather for the Tonto time. Also, thought the wind would be gone by today and finally I could get some shooting prep done in mild wind or stillness by 7AM, so set the alarm and got up to find stillness - but falling snow, and it's still falling at 9:30 with no sign of quit so far. Maybe won't get to shoot at all before the gathering.

As the crow flies, we are approx 250 miles northeast of the Tonto camp - so went to our best weather site and it shows likely precip tomorrow and Thursday on the road path from here to camp - which could mean dicey mountain driving in our old MoHome - if I get the oil changed and other usual pre-trip maintenance done by tomorrow. It's pretty cold out there on that concrete slab right now.

For camp, the forecast shows likely precip on much of Friday - probably rain but maybe something colder - and a clear sunny day for Saturday. So, best to bring some clothes accordingly just in case. We've been needing moisture up here, so no complaints - but am wondering about the travel.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kent, just past the old cattle pen?

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/20/18.

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
So - the weather? In that we've had some unexpected precip two and three days ago followed by unusually high winds for two days (screaming like wild ladies up here at times), I started thinking about weather for the Tonto time. Also, thought the wind would be gone by today and finally I could get some shooting prep done in mild wind or stillness by 7AM, so set the alarm and got up to find stillness - but falling snow, and it's still falling at 9:30 with no sign of quit so far. Maybe won't get to shoot at all before the gathering.

As the crow flies, we are approx 250 miles northeast of the Tonto camp - so went to our best weather site and it shows likely precip tomorrow and Thursday on the road path from here to camp - which could mean dicey mountain driving in our old MoHome - if I get the oil changed and other usual pre-trip maintenance done by tomorrow. It's pretty cold out there on that concrete slab right now.

For camp, the forecast shows likely precip on much of Friday - probably rain but maybe something colder - and a clear sunny day for Saturday. So, best to bring some clothes accordingly just in case. We've been needing moisture up here, so no complaints - but am wondering about the travel.

We've had big winds in the Sandias, east of Albuquerque, and about an inch of snow, hail and sleet last night. Some of the roads were iced and the HS parking lot was so icy that school was canceled.

Sadly, I cannot make Tonto this year (it would be my first) because school pressures mean the kids can't go. We'll try for Armijo Springs, though, and I have some new BBQ guns to show.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Kent, just past the old cattle pen?

Bob are you already there? Call me if you need to I'm still working and not on the computer, call me 480 292 4554.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob - after you turn right off the gravel road in from the highway and then go along that narrower/rougher one, there will be a clear campsite on the left and maybe one on the right. There may be pens there - I forget. Pass that stuff and go up a little (less than 200 yds., I think) to the next clear area - on the right - with quite a few places clear between trees/bushes. That's our camp site. The little road turns left/downhill after that.

You're there in time to get the best spot - just don't pitch your tent in Dennis sacred place where there is some grass under that bent tree - right where all of those cow pies are. He likes to sleep on top of those.

Glad you are there safe.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah! Im good!!! Nifty-250 pulled in a while ago and said this is da spot!!

He says to say to all that the road coming in is better than it's ever been!

Postscript! We are closely guarding Dennis' sacred spot!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/20/18.

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EdM
...I am going to try TAC and found some old 62 gr Berger's on the shelf.

Ed, try 25.5gr of CFE-223 if you have any. I had one partial box of old 62 gr Bergers and shot them up with that load, then switched to the 62gr Federal Fusions when they were gone. Great accuracy in all of my .223's.

Folks, I was going to try to make it, but I caught some type of virus and can't seem to shake it. I was really looking forward to seeing old friends, particularly Jim & the beautiful Nikki, and finally getting to shake EdM's hand among others. To tell the truth, I was kinda hoping to get the chance to try to beat Dennis at shooting...sort of an itch I need to scratch. grin

You'll have to toast for me, too. Gonna really miss the toast for Greg.

I'll get out that way sooner than later.

Y'all take care, don't need to tell you to have fun.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
...We are closely guarding Dennis' sacred spot!

He has his own slit trench?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
whistle

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,681
Posts18,474,998
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.