Home
Just a quick shout out so folks can know the date.

We will have our regular camp/shoot with the added addition of a service for our compadre Greg/crossfireoops.

This event started with myself and Greg at Greg's place, went some years there and then moved to Tonto when the range we used in SV changed their policies for our use.

Greg's service will be a cowboy camp memorial, it may be as short as my personal eulogy or as long as others wish to share their remembrances. We will toast and remember our friend and compatriot and share some tears and laughs.

Mostly we will shoot guns, eat, BS and enjoy each others company for as long as we can in this life.

We will put up location, same place as last few years, and details as this thread evolves.

Kent .
I remember at the first dinner I looked up at his big flag he had flying and said... how bought we do the pledge with saying grace... he got this big smile and twinkle in his eye and said... let's... I was proud to say grace and lead the pledge that day. We do the pledge every camp since then.

Kent
I'm going to try my best to be there this year. We lost Bigbuck215 and crossfireoops this year. Ivan and Greg were good folks.
I can't see that far into the future for work, but this will go on the calendar and I'll try to make it!
This is going on my calendar, too. I hope it works out. Thanks Kent.
Kent,

Thanks for the update my friend...

Hope to see the 'usual suspects' there along with some new folks...
Well, dang, I was hoping to make it this year even if I had to pass on my HAM hunt for javelina. I may still be able to, IF I don't draw a turkey tag over by Flagstaff later in the spring. Retirement is great in many ways, but medical bills this year and hopefully that hunt and I'll not be able to afford two long trips from the border of CA and OR to the Tonto. frown

If I don't draw a tag, perhaps I can make it to Tonto, visit with you folks and my brothers in AZ.

Geno
I too put the date on my calendar. I’ve been lurking on the Campfire for several years, posted little, but read it everyday. I don’t believe I’ve ever met anyone from the fire so this may be a chance to put faces with handles. I hope I can make it.

Dennis
All are invited including family.

Kent
Even me? grin
No, but Judy and the kids are...

Kent
It would be an honor to be there amongst friends to share some stories and raise a toast to Greg C.
As I sit in 20'ish weather and 8" of snow at my place in north Idaho I see no reason why I could miss this. Might get my wife to attend.
Well if Ed is going I might be able to sneak in while no one is looking.

A quick weather check says the average is into the 70's during the day and down into the low 40's at night. I have a good bag and a tarp. I will survive..

Kent, thanks for the open invite. I sure wish I had gone to meet him in person. Please post/let us know what we could bring to the gathering.
I'm going anyway. wink
Sounds like it will be a good one this year--as always!
Well if things here at home settle, mebbe, just mebbe this will be the year. Too soon to tell.

Hating missing last year. frown
Originally Posted by EdM
As I sit in 20'ish weather and 8" of snow at my place in north Idaho I see no reason why I could miss this. Might get my wife to attend.

Framed a gazebo yesterday for my dentist. He has a nice pool in his backyard (unheated). The guy I work with on this kind of stuff had his grandkids come clean up. As soon as they were done they were in the pool- for an hour! November 4th and swimming outside in an unheated pool- what a messed up year!

Looking forward to Tonto basin in Feb.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I'm going anyway. wink

Dammit... now Cheryl and Judy will whisper behind their hands and call us a bromance... again...

Kent
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Well if Ed is going I might be able to sneak in while no one is looking.

A quick weather check says the average is into the 70's during the day and down into the low 40's at night. I have a good bag and a tarp. I will survive..

Kent, thanks for the open invite. I sure wish I had gone to meet him in person. Please post/let us know what we could bring to the gathering.

We've been lucky with the weather every year, it can get wet and windy in feb.

We supply food for Friday dinner through sunday breakfast. Those traveling just need to get there and have their personal items... and a fun attitude.

Some come early and I will have food if I come a day early for anyone there.

Kent
Ed, Doc and I will probably go up together. Not sure if we will drive or fly in Docs plane, will depend on weather.
Dennis can help with plane stuff, he's your 'inside' man.

Kent

Sounds like a good time.
Originally Posted by krp
I'm going anyway. wink

Dammit... now Cheryl and Judy will whisper behind their hands and call us a bromance... again...

Kent

They're jealous of us.
Kent, we will attempt to attend - mostly revolves around Dr's appointments. We're hoping our issues are resolved by then.
Not having been there - do you think we should bring the camp trailer, or maybe use a local (or semi-local) motel?
Mark, Joy is always in my prayers.

Either will work, the motel is about 5 miles, Joe can best describe it as he stays there, it's not difficult to pull the trailer in if that's your preference, we are about 1 1/2 miles in on a dirt road.

Kent
Thanks, Kent.
I'll have to do some head-scratching (sacrifice some more hair smile )
The motel charges $60 a night for one room,two people.
Thanks for the info, Ken.
Mark, you could easily get your camp trailer into the site, but Joy might be more comfortable in the motel. Miles got in an out just fine with his mobile Taj Mahal. grin
We're thinking about NOT pulling the "bunkhouse" that far - for just a couple of nights. Yes, Ben - her comfort is paramount to me, right now.
(He!! - I could make do in the pickup bed, myself. )
Anyone with a blackpowder or sharps or GTC appropriate gun bring it, we will do a 'salute' to our friend.

Kent
I'll try to find a cannon
Of course, it is the same weekend as javelina opens. Jeff and I both drew tags in 23. I guess we can cross the river and hunt!
Originally Posted by krp
Anyone with a blackpowder or sharps or GTC appropriate gun bring it, we will do a 'salute' to our friend.

Kent

If I can make it I will have appropriate weaponry!!!! Sorry I do not have a cannon. frown
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

If I can make it, you can bet your ass there will be a Sharps in attendance. After all, it was Greg that got me started on this BPCR addiction!

Might even bring some extra BP just in case... grin

Ed
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'll try to find a cannon
I have a few cannons you can borrow, Just need to figure out the logistics to get them there from Iowa and back. Greg and I talked about big bore carriage mounted noise makers on more than one occasion Russ
I just MAY be able to borrow a cannon, and either get instruction on it's operation (blanks for me), or bring the owners to operate it.
Mark, I spent 4 hours with Greg the last time I stopped by his place. Talked all about cannons. I bet you that I know where you could "borrow" one from. I'd sure like to "borrow" it.

Be it known to friend and foe: I've got the whole week scheduled off. Miles, Kaywoodie, Blue, Ed, Ed, Doc and anyone else that plans on arriving early, let me know. I'll meet you
at the campsite a few days early so that I can enjoy your company.
No need to bring a cannon from Iowa. If Mark can't bring one, I will ask around here.
Went with Dennis and he killed an elk monday, that and I killed one in sept, so we should have an elk dish or two.

Couple months to go.

Kent
Topic for sticky time????

Mebbe???
Putting in on our bucket list.

Little Mary got a bow and arrows for her birthday and would surely bring that.

Norm
I might could make that if you guys can put up with a retired LEO...I make good chili,,,
Originally Posted by sgt217
I retired LEO

That describes many of our regulars...

Kent
Originally Posted by Anjin
Putting in on our bucket list.

Little Mary got a bow and arrows for her birthday and would surely bring that.

Norm

Wish I could post my cell phone video of my 5 year old granddaughter shooting her bow in elk camp this year, she loves it and is a character.

Kent
Originally Posted by sgt217
I might could make that if you guys can put up with a retired LEO...I make good chili,,,

Well, they put up with me and I don't even make "good" chili... blush

I do make a mean pot of coffee, though. grin

Ed
Come one, come all. The more the merrier. Maybe relieve KRP from having to cook one day, and have a Chili cook off.

Ed can pour some of his coffee in the chili wink
Special congrats to Dennis on that bull elk and Kent for all he did on that hunt/retrieve - looks like it was a challenging deal. Dennis is tough enough, but I'll bet he thanked his stars for Kent on that one. Nice work, guys. Can we get the story at least once in Feb. at Tonto?
Originally Posted by Owl
Come one, come all. The more the merrier. Maybe relieve KRP from having to cook one day, and have a Chili cook off.

Ed can pour some of his coffee in the chili wink

Left over coffee grounds in the chili?

Gee its like being right back in the Army again!
Originally Posted by CCCC
Special congrats to Dennis on that bull elk and Kent for all he did on that hunt/retrieve - looks like it was a challenging deal. Dennis is tough enough, but I'll bet he thanked his stars for Kent on that one. Nice work, guys. Can we get the story at least once in Feb. at Tonto?

Both of us have an elk story this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Really nice elk - fairly ugly dudes.
Lol! Are you insinuating the last picture captured the subjects best side?

I’m going to put this trip on the calendar and see if I can make it happen. It’d be a hoot to meet many of you.
Kent's is bigger but mine is tastier!!
Nice Bull Dennis!
Kent's is bigger but mine is tastier!!

Maybe tenderer, but mine is tasty as they get... the tenderizer is a must though...

Kent
Ugly dudes are the better hunters, they know all the spots, don't need to ask what bullet or broadhead to use, have extensive scouting experience, can shoot on their hind legs at running animals and not miss.

Pretty boys worry about their hair and how to dress for chicks, what drink to order and what line to use to get puzzy... they need help killing animals.

Kent
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by krp
Ugly dudes are the better hunters, they know all the spots, don't need to ask what bullet or broadhead to use, have extensive scouting experience, can shoot on their hind legs at running animals and not miss. Pretty boys worry about their hair and how to dress for chicks, what drink to order and what line to use to get puzzy... they need help killing animals. Kent

This man has developed some valuable experiential knowledge worth heeding. Where did he get it?
I’m trying but it’s not looking good. If I can make it work I’d really like to attend. I’ll know more come the first of the year.
Originally Posted by krp
Ugly dudes are the better hunters, they know all the spots, don't need to ask what bullet or broadhead to use, have extensive scouting experience, can shoot on their hind legs at running animals and not miss. Pretty boys worry about their hair and how to dress for chicks, what drink to order and what line to use to get puzzy... they need help killing animals. Kent

This man has developed some valuable experiential knowledge worth heeding. Where did he get it?

from Cheryl.....
Goes to prove the old adage... some girls don't like guys like me... but some girls do...

Don't bring flowers on a date... bring venison jerky.

Kent
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m trying but it’s not looking good. If I can make it work I’d really like to attend. I’ll know more come the first of the year.
I hope it works - it would be very good to meet you and I have a strong feeling that you would enjoy this bunch - and they you.
Originally Posted by krp
Goes to prove the old adage... some girls don't like guys like me... but some girls do...

Don't bring flowers on a date... bring venison jerky.

Kent

On the second date with my now wife she didn’t have a firearm in her place so instead of flowers I brought her a single shot 20ga and a box of #1 buckshot. She was tickled and I Knew then that this was the lady I was spending the rest of my life with. 😉
Thank you, Rick Bin, for acting on our request and making this thread a sticky.

Looking forward to a great get-together.
Mr. Bin - thanks for making this a sticky. You are invited to participate - it would be nice to meet you.
Put me on the maybe list. Depends if I start a new job or not. IF I get the promotion, I won’t have time off. If I don’t get it, then we are planning on going.

Judy
Judy,
I hope you get the promotion AND the time off.
I have a question for you fine gentleman(and Kent),if Judy cannot make it and I go,can I stay with one of you who have a travel trailer? The reason I ask is the insulin I take needs to be refrigerated and I don't want to rent a motel room just for me.
Ken,

You can bunk with me in my RV, if Judy will let you (ha). You can sleep with the dog, Scout.

I don't snore, but Scout does.

In any case, you are welcome to put your insulin in my refrigerator.

I hope you can make it, and Judy, too.

Milo
Thank you Nifty-two-fifty. smile
Do we have a head count started yet ?
Judy did not get the promotion,so she will be going to the get together.

I want to thank Nifty-two-fifty for the offer of his travel trailer to me.
To All of the Tonto Basin, Quemado Crowd...

Merry Christmas to each of you and your Families...
may it be joyous for all....

Peace and the Lord be with each of you...

see many of you in February...

cheers and Best Regards

john chr/ Seafire and Family.
I did hotel reservations for Ken and I. Punkin center charges $15 pet fee for dogs.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope to see you in February.
on my calendar hope i can make it, 3 days travel.but then i can spend some time in the 4 corners , been wanting to do that.

norm
Good news, Norm - looking forward to meeting you.
From Northern Alberta to AZ? Well I guess that will be the new record on how far someone
traveled to make the meet...

We'll have to brush up on our Canadian to make Norm feel welcomed... eh?

Safe travels Norm....and look forward to handing the travel record over to someone new...
Originally Posted by Seafire
From Northern Alberta to AZ? Well I guess that will be the new record on how far someone

Safe travels Norm....and look forward to handing the travel record over to someone new...

well I 'am back in Victoria, so now it's a ferry ride plus some travel,, ha ha with a 30' fifth wheel.here's hopeing

norm
Originally Posted by norm99

well I 'am back in Victoria, so now it's a ferry ride plus some travel,, ha ha with a 30' fifth wheel.here's hopeing

norm

Sir,
Are you a AAA automobile club member? Is so, or if you know someone who is, I strongly suggest getting their "Indian Country" map. It is an incredible journey.
thank you i will try that,,

need to talk to CCCC and krp to get more info on the 4 corners ,weather in FEB around the region and things to see'

norm
I went there a season or two ago....first time in like 30 years....

Don't get your hopes set too high....

or maybe I was missing something...

30 years ago or so, one didn't have to pay admission as I remember it...

nowadays the Indians run it.. and they are happily there with a booth. and a little old Indian woman
who was about 2 inches from being brain dead...

The scenery was kinda cool...sorry to say I was disappointed...

but you want to be unimpressed, go thru Shiprock NM...and look to get something to eat...
Part of my heritage comes from the 4 corners region, my Powell/Shelton relatives were spread out from Durango to Silver city, Cliffton to Safford. Many worked for El Paso gas, dry farmed in Dove Creek, my great grandparents Shelton are buried in Durango. My grandmother was 17 when they died, went to live with her older sister in Wilcox and met my grandfather at a dance in Safford, was married in Miami, Az. Her brother and my cousins stayed in Farmington and worked in the gas fields. My grandfather worked as a welder at times for El Paso when they brought their gas lines through AZ. I myself worked in the gas fields around Farmington on a Frac crew, had lots of cousins to hang out with.

I've fished the San Juan, lake Powell, Dolores fiver and other creeks, killed elk, explored indian ruins, skied Telluride/Silverton and once as a kid stood on the four corner marker.

That said there's not much happening in february except sking and staying warm, you might visit Mesa Verde and Canyon de chelly. So far the weather has stayed warm and if you fly fish the San Juan river or Lee's ferry may produce good fishing.

Not what I'd call the four corners but the Grand canyon is always a good spot to sight see even in the winter, it is cold at 7500 ft elevation in february, I have enjoyed the winter day there. It is still packed with people even then.

Shiprock... don't stop there, Cortez is 40 miles north or Farmington 40 miles east, depending on which way you are headed.

Kent
Friday dinner will be our traditional steak and fish, beans and tater salad

Saturday dinner I'm making elk tamales, tacos, rice, beans sopapillas, flour tortillas... may do dutch oven enchiladas if folks really want them again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Anyway, I made that taco/tamale dinner for family 2 days ago, 16 folks from age 2 to 91. Mia helped my sister make ice cream and the young'uns picked navels, which has become a holiday tradition for them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Monument Valley is awe inspiring. The visitor center is impressive, even if it is run by the Indians. The view from there is worth the time and small charge to check it out. There is good parking there for trailers and motor-homes. also.

I had never been to Zion National Park before this past year. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
Shiprock was a disappointment.

Lots of wide-open country and beautiful scenery in the Grand Canyon area. No matter how many pictures of the Grand Canyon one has seen, there is nothing like standing on the edge and taking it all in, in person.
Zion National Park....

Me and the wife on the way home from Quemado, drove thru it, as that is the way the hwy went...

it was late at night, and the front gate was open but no one to charge you for the trip thru...

There was a full moon out and no one else on the road....being after midnight...

The wife and I were both in shock going thru there at night, and with a full moon...

one of the most breathe taking things I've ever seen.. and I've been around some...

we did a u turn after getting to the other end of the park... and went back thru it, and sacked out
in the car at the east entrance... woke up early tho, and still no one at the gate...but I have a
senior National Park pass so it wouldn't have cost us anything anyway...

So we went back thru it again the next morning...it was once again breathe taking...
but not nearly as it was going thru at night with a full moon...

it gave the concept of awesome a whole new dimension....

definitely wouldn't bypass Zion N.P. and Norm, I've been all over BC.. so you might be immune
to some of our 'beauty' down here, compared to what is an every day occurrence in BC...

but I don't think you'd want to miss this one... regardless if it is out of the way, its worth every mile..

SE Utah and SW Colorado were also wonderful places to visit....
just like a lot of BC, just places that seem like they must be what heaven is like...
Norm, the guys here have given good info about that area in general. The more enjoyable aspects for me have been on the way to or through the FC area - Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly (sp?), fishing the San Juan, Mesa Verde, hunting the Uncompahgre plateau, etc. Actually, sites to the west have been more impressive in my case - Zion, Bryce, and especially the Grand Canyon. Kent is correct - will be probably be rather cold at the GC in Feb. (but it's a dry cold) however the views at sunrise with a dusting of snow on the facets can about the best of what is there for me. No matter how many times seen or down in there, it seems hard to beat.

There is more detailed info available from folks here. Sure hope you can make it to the gathering - safe travels.
thanks guys it all helps , the girl friend [ soon to be wife ] has been there on a tour but there is nothing like other first hand experience and male perspective,,smile,,.

norm
"Soon to be wife", eh Norm? Should we ask someone to bring that honeymoon tent in for you for this gathering?
Another vote for the Canyon de Chelley.

Also, I just drove across the Navajo Reservation last October. Their main roads are batter than any I drove on in California. There are new modern gas stations as well. A lot of money had gone into the Res since I've been there last.
There's plenty to see here in the winter, for sure.
Well lucky you. Thousands of tags still available. But Dave and I did not get drawn.Did you see the picture of your javelina that you had hanging at Roosevelt?
This is drawing a bit closer, but I still don't know what my work/travel schedule is going to look like. Hoping I can make this one!
A little more than a month out.

Kent
I'd like to mention again that those attending, if you have a black powder firearm to bring it and we will have a salute to cross.

Kent
Kent,

I can make it now if you don't mind strangers from California. What do think I could bring to contribute?
Also, any tips on your experience from there? You said the weather should be fine for camping. Anything else?

Tracy (Ranger) Green
Tracy - Kent will have more info - but it normally is warmish and dry, high desert foothills, mesquite, palo verde, cactus, etc. Kent or Dennis probably will post "needs" for folks to bring, if there are any. Although a stranger from CA may be suspect and watched carefully, it will be no more acute than with the strangers from WA, CO, AR, TX, MT, and other far points. Glad you can make it.
Well literally minutes ago I was discussing this with my wife, given a Tuscon friend and I will be heading to my place in north Idaho the two weeks prior, and she highly recommended I leave once more for Tonto. Not sure what she is telling me but I am good to go and should be there. Debating on pulling my trailer or tenting it. If anyone is looking for a San Antonio area based road trip let me know.

Tracy,

Contrary to the PM I just sent, Parkside sausage would be more than welcomed. Also, I showed up fairly pronto a couple of years ago and just gave Kent some cash to help with the costs.

Ed
Good news Ed - will be excellent to see you again. Whatever Parkside is, sausage always seems to go great with whatever Kent makes for breakfast.
Good to hear Tracy!

We ask folks to bring whatever snacks they may want, adult beverages for themselves, a coffee cup maybe. Now of course many bring extra for all so it's not necessary really.

Food wise from Friday dinner to Sunday breakfast it's supplied. I know folks like to contribute, desserts are welcome. I've found out it's easier for me to supply the main dishes and way too hard to keep track of who's bringing what... I end up with too many eggs and not enough of other things... if someone has to back out I have to figure what it was they were bringing and compensate.

Much easier if I have control and as Ed said a small food donation is accepted but not mandatory, food money is carried over from each event, it has always worked out. Mostly us locals want to host and those traveling just get here, bring shooting irons, have a good time and travel safe.

Kent
checked out all the cast ware I've accumulated and separating the ones I'll take.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM
Well literally minutes ago I was discussing this with my wife, given a Tuscon friend and I will be heading to my place in north Idaho the two weeks prior, and she highly recommended I leave once more for Tonto. Not sure what she is telling me but I am good to go and should be there. Debating on pulling my trailer or tenting it. If anyone is looking for a San Antonio area based road trip let me know.

Tracy,

Contrary to the PM I just sent, Parkside sausage would be more than welcomed. Also, I showed up fairly pronto a couple of years ago and just gave Kent some cash to help with the costs.

Ed

Roger that!
not looking good for me ,suppost to start radiation Dec 15 still not started more scans now waiting for a byopsy on back of throut and tounge ,,more and more delays then 35 sessions of radiation,. I won't go into more detail but i am getting pissed at the time delays , hard to plan anything waiting for life to have a clear path.

norm
Sorry we won't see ya Norm...

but as a cancer survivor, as with ALL cancer victims...
you and your health are always in the prayers of those
of us who have walked the path before you....

stay strong, and God Bless for return to good health...
Norm - have been eager to meet you, so am sorry that you can't make this one - and am looking forward to your coming to the next one.
Paul,
you going to put up the shoots??
I have targets.
Norm, Sorry to hear that you're not able to attend. What part of BC are you in ? I lived in BC for a brief period of time back in the early 80's

Jeff
Victoria now and its my home town, but lived in Midway north of Ferry County Wash ,ST. for 15 years and am looking tobbuy a place just outside of Vernon BC.

I might make it to the 4 corners in early May on a honey moon trip, if I can get all this medical stuff done , its the 4th time around.

norm
I lived in Chilliwack, Quesnel, Salmon Arm. Vanderhoof, Kamloops and Pentiction... I guess I got around. I was in Victoria 2 years ago come March. We had a wonderful time.
Originally Posted by Owl
I lived in Chilliwack, Quesnel, Salmon Arm. Vanderhoof, Kamloops and Pentiction... I guess I got around. I was in Victoria 2 years ago come March. We had a wonderful time.

YOU beeneverywhere man breathed the mountain air man I've been everywhere..

you did get around what kind of work ???or where you on the run [[smilie face.]]

norm

Ditto - from "The Warden" and me. John spoke well.
BTW - it appears we'll attend, good folk. smile
I look forward to meeting fresh "victims" smile
Hello folks. Dennis will be the lead guy for our shooting contests at the Tonto event, and I will be helping him with setup, materials, etc.. Owl, if you have any 4" targets or 4" spots to spare, we may need those.

Dennis wrote out the info for each shoot event and decided to call them "disciplines". Not sure why he was inspired to use that term, but maybe Karen has been laying down the law since he got back from the Alaska wilds and he's had to clean up his act. So - here they are.

Scheduled Shooting Disciplines for Tonto Basin

1.) The Rimfire Shoot at 30 yards: ANY rimfire sporting rifle (or pistol), iron sights only- no optics. May use front rest, bipod, shooting sticks etc. Shooting rest must touch the ground. NO benchrest. 5 shots at 1/2" dot superimposed on a varmint silhouette TBD. Smallest group with at least 1 shot hitting the dot wins.

2.) The 22 Rimfire shoot at 150 yards. Any 22 Long Rifle sporting rifle. Any sight is allowed. 5 shots at 4" disc, smallest group with at least one hit on the disc wins. Any shooting position allowed.

3.) The Prairie Dog shoot at 150 yards. One shot at a 1" (or smaller) dot superimposed on a prairie dog target using any sporting rifle with any sights. Closest to center of the dot wins. This can be shot from any position.

4.) The Sporting Rifle 3-shot group shoot. 3 shots at a 1" dot at 150 yards, any sporting rifle, any sights, any shooting position. Smallest group with at least one hit on the dot wins.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Ditto - from "The Warden" and me. John spoke well.
BTW - it appears we'll attend, good folk. smile
I look forward to meeting fresh "victims" smile

hey Mark, that is great you and your lovely wife will be at Tonto..

that way,I don't have to drive all the way to Las Vegas to visit you two
after Tonto is over....

just for anyone who would like to know... I'm going to be going up to
Potlandia and picking up Scott F... who asked to ride down with me...

Milo has also offered to let Scott F to sack out in his Motor Home...
so Scott will be sleeping good and also warm....
Good morning gang.
My presence is still tenative. I will probably have a better idea when we get closer to the event. Things here can change between breakfast and lunch.
frown

Currently have a large bore flintlock just aching for some powder & ball time. Im really hoping I can pull this trip off. But just not able to commit.

Will keep you posted

Vôtre serviteur,

Bob
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks a lot less dusty from an aerial photo.... whistle

and map doesn't help those coming from the north...

but then having been there, I'm good to go...

unless you guys move camp on me...and don't post it...again... grin
There are multiple ways to get to Punkin center, first timers let me know which direction you will be traveling from and I will figure the best route.

From Punkin center go west on FS409, big dirt rd down a ridge about a mile until there is a rd to the right, turn north, the road gets rougher but a car can make it, half mile to camp.

First timers exchange phone numbers with me and I can guide you in if needed, or meet at the highway.

Kent
Looks a lot less dusty from an aerial photo.... whistle

and map doesn't help those coming from the north...

but then having been there, I'm good to go...

unless you guys move camp on me...and don't post it...again... grin

Coming from the north there's that small diversion called the grand canyon you have to get around, so it depends on where N is...

Once to I40 then there are different ways in depending E or W.

Same with I10 or some of the back roads.

In a Wednesday golf game I play in if you win to big they tell you next week it's on thursday...

Kent
Hello folks. Dennis will be the lead guy for our shooting contests at the Tonto event, and I will be helping him with setup, materials, etc.. Owl, if you have any 4" targets or 4" spots to spare, we may need those.[/b]

Yes, I have them. I'll work with Dennis and bring what ever is needed, and in my possession.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Mark, you could easily get your camp trailer into the site, but Joy might be more comfortable in the motel. Miles got in an out just fine with his mobile Taj Mahal. grin

Miles, have not heard you chiming in... Are you going to be able to make it this year ?

Jeff
Trip is planned. I will be there around noon Friday.
Originally Posted by Owl

Miles, have not heard you chiming in... Are you going to be able to make it this year ?
Jeff

I just communicated with Miles. His schedule is still uncertain. He says he will let us know when the time gets closer. He is hoping to make it.
David Price please look closely that is an elk. Wow great job guys.
I will be riding shot gun with David Price. looking forward to a fun shoot. Oh can't wait for the elk.

Thanks for all the work done by so many people on behalf of Greg and Campfire friends.

Niki and I have slogged back to a more normal life and have reservations at Punkin Center motel. Should arrive Friday evening.

Very much looking forward to seeing friends and the shooting of multiple bulls.
Jim - this is FANTASTIC news. We have missed you and Niki a bunch - it has been way too long. The bull shooting has been pretty good, but it's bound to get better with you among us. You'll probably meet a few fine critter that have shown up since you drifted off. Hope you arrive in time for dinner on Friday - we'll be watching for you.
Howdy to the Campfire gang. I will be there this year, but Michael will not. He has a competition that weekend. I will be bringing an old friend with me if he stays healthy enough. I'm sure he will enjoy everyone's comany and vice versa. We will be in my motorhome this year, if anybody needs to borrow a tent, i have 2 available. A 10x10 and a 10x13. Both are easy up tents. Just let me know and I will bring them.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting the newcomers. I will bring a BP muzzle loader for the salute. (Although it is a modern inline). If anyone needs something that they don't want to travel with and I can pick it up for you on my way in let me know and I will get it.
I thinks it going to be another great weekend of shooting , bs-ing and eating all the great food.
Great to hear Joe - looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your buddy.
Is there any logic to choosing ranges outside what many of can shoot that have zero access to public land? My range runs to 100 yards, no more so 150 or ??? is tough. What is the basis for the shoots?
Ed - good questions. One thing we have learned through these many gatherings is that it is way better to be able to run the shooting activities at or very near the campsite. We've managed to do otherwise a few times early on, but it was messy and not near as enjoyable.

The location in Tonto basin is flat enough in general to enable decent spots for campers/tents for the number that normally attend and a good common area for eating, spreading bull, etc., - but the surroundings are hilly so, to shoot at that site, we are pretty much limited to 150 yards. For the summer event up in the forest at Armijo Springs, we can reach out to 300 yards from the camp site.

Why do we shoot some events at more than 100 yards? We do this to provide variety of shooting activity not enabled elsewhere and, because some of these guys are very good shooters, we do it to create good challenges. Yes, some folks are at a disadvantage in some cases due to dearth of longer range practice sites, lack of time to practice, less sophisticated equipment than others, diminished eyesight, etc., etc. Always happens. Two summers ago we ran a very short range contest - a big game shoot complete with a fast charging elephant, and shot only with big bore rifles and heavy bullets/loads. The range got down to less than 10 feet. I think we did not allow scopes. It was successful, but some guys were at a disadvantage because they did not own such a rifle and had to use someone else's if they wanted to join in, some had never shot a big bore heavy rifle at a moving target, and some simply didn't want to deal with that level of recoil energy. But - we all had fun - including the spectators and that fast running guy that pulled the targets. We'll probably use an ATV the next time - if there is a next time.

With regard to distances, we reason that the three 150 yard shoots aren't very much more challenging than a 100 yard shoot - some folks may need to adjust sights once in camp, and there is plenty of time/opportunity for that. An exception may be the .22LR shoot at 150 yds. That one is a bit of a wild card - and if there is any wind of note, high-dollar equipment/ammo and previous practice can prove inconsequential. So, for anyone there is always hope.

The 30 yard rimfire shoot may seem much easier, but then it is not from a bench rest and scopes are not allowed - some of our eyes are so lousy that we can't score well with open or iron sights. I guess it all evens out. We try to put all emphasis on enjoyment and friendly competition - thus camaraderie. From experience, we know that you are an excellent shooter. For one, I feel certain that you will enjoy it. Hope this is responsive.

Appreciate the reply Paul. On another note, I have a NIB Oehler M35P that I just don't see myself using. If anyone attending the event is interested at $375 I will bring it along.

https://oehler-research.com/model-35p/
Ed - someone may be interested. Does yours include the printer, three Skyscreen III detectors, the four-foot rail and two folding stands, all in a hard case?
Ed - someone may be interested. Does yours include the printer, three Skyscreen III detectors, the four-foot rail and two folding stands, all in a hard case?

Yep.
Three weeks out.

For new attendees, if you would like for me to review your travel route I can confirm the best way once you enter AZ, I just need to know what highway or freeway and direction of travel.

Some folks will be there earlier in the week, can those people confirm that here, I hope to go up thursday morning if work allows.

Kent
I'm hoping to be in Tuesday or so...will probably have Scott F. in tow...
Kent, I hope to be in by Thursday afternoon - will bring Maddy and an RV trailer for the first time and need to get spotted before dark. Should we plan to bring some extra food for the pot due to early arrival?
Almost forgot this - it has been noted that we should try to have a hanging or posted lantern or two located where we gather for the evening. I don't own such a rig. Can anyone bring one - or two?
Thanks. P
If I'm there thursday I will have food for thur night and friday morning. Also Butcher Hook has great food and a bar/store/gas station a few miles south of camp for those early arrivals.

I have lanterns and will bring some.

Kent
Hope to get there Thursday but not sure yet.
Kent let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Cool Dave see ya there.

Kent
Make a suggestion if anyone has anything they don't need and want to give it to another campfire member who might
use it.. to bring it..

Right now cleaning up some stuff, I have a magazine for a Ruger American, 243 to 308 sized cartridges...

Before I gave my 223 Predator to Randy, having magazine issues, Ruger sent me a batch of magazines..

Somehow they thought my rifle was a 243 due to its serial number... so they ended up sending me 4 or 5
243 mags... I gave them away to other campfire members.. but this one here evidently was overlooked..

so whoever might use it, speak up... Cost is affordable... Obama "Welfare" Free....
Was in the gun cabinet today and was thinking when I saw one of mine..

how about one of these times having a 200 yd 30/30 shooting contest...

no one ever brings those rifles or cartridges out...

for those of us that don't need to loosen our fillings with African Cartridges...

open sights on steel at 200 yds would be fun...

or tightest 3 shot group at 200 yds...

just a thought...
Anyone bringing a guitar ? Maybe a few campfire songs ?
Almost forgot this - it has been noted that we should try to have a hanging or posted lantern or two located where we gather for the evening. I don't own such a rig. Can anyone bring one - or two?
Thanks. P

I have a pair of orange stobe lights that can be pushed up in the air on a pole. Can see them from a long way out when it's dark outside.
The orange strobes would help folks find camp in the dark.

I am hoping to arrive Wednesday afternoon; Thursday afternoon at the latest.

As far as shooting at ranges past 150 yards, our present location, shooting towards the hill, doesn't have an easy, clear lane to 200 yards, or an easy way to get out there past the fence and the gully.

The Texas Rangers have a tradition of showing up at outdoor social affairs wearing their "BBQ Guns". These are not their duty handguns, but something a bit fancier, or unique, or just interesting; maybe real old, or so new others haven't seen one yet. And normally carried in a fancier leather holster. Sort of a "Show & Tell" kind of thing. "Look what I brought. What did you bring?"

I suggest members attending consider bringing a BBQ gun. Not trying to one-up each other, but just for fun and for sharing, and more stuff to talk about 'round the campfire.

A guitar sounds like fun, too. I am sure somebody in the group has some musical talent. Unfortunately, it isn't me. We will hear some coyotes singing, regardless.
Regarding Seafire's suggestion:

I heard that there is going to be a black powder shoot, sort of a 21 gun type of salute to our friends.

I don't have any black powder guns yet, but I do have a bit of scrap lead I get from a local metal recycle yard. It was mostly pipes and some sheet lead I have melted, fluxed, and pour into ingots or bricks.

Does anybody need or want any?

Tracy (Ranger) Green
As of now, Looks like my attendance is about 95% sure that I will be there!!! I plan on leaving in the wee morning hours Tuesday. I will bring flintlock of proper bore diameter and possibly an 1895 of the proper flavor, with assorted accoutrements. As well as the rest of my meagre but humble camp. All required is enough ground for my 9'x9' canvas wedge tent.

I will get there, when I get there, barring any border crossing conflicts etc.

Bob
dit
Kaywoodie
Indeed this is good new Bob - will be watching for 'ya and great to see your carcass again. Safe travels.
Bob, I'll kick some cholla 'out the way' for your tent... and warn the song dogs they have competition howl'n at the moon.

Kent
Thanks Paul & Kent! Appreciate it!!
Bob, Cheryl found this old wine rack to put some of our cast iron on and then came up with this idea to make a display wall. So I built it yesterday afternoon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Damn sideways pictures.

Kent
Damn!!! Thats freakin' awesome!!!!!! Well done. Gotta go out to the shop and start attending to stuff for the trip!!!
Kent,

that is fantastic.. love the old West Rustic look to it..

Looks awfully functional and handy the way you put it together...
Woo Hoo Bob ! It will be great to see you.

Kent, very nice. Great Job.

I still plan on being there Monday evening, or Tuesday before 12noon.

Jeff
Hope so Jeff, I plan on being there like Tuesday....
I have a couple of Bankers Boxes of old Hunting and Shooting Magazines, that date
back to the early 90s.. from the days I use to buy those things..

Would there be any interest in them if I brought them down to Arizona to give away?
John.

I'll be there on Tuesday. I'll need to leave either Thursday afternoon, or Friday morning to head down to the valley for a short visit. My eldest granddaughter Evelyn has been begging to go camping. So, I'll be picking her up and have my "little buddy" with me as a shadow. I may need to bring up my "chicken dog" too. Very gun shy. I'll need to chain him up to a tree, or the truck. Very friendly. Just hates loud noises. But, I can't leave him at home anymore.

Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty

The orange strobes would help folks find camp in the dark.

A guitar sounds like fun, too. I am sure somebody in the group has some musical talent. Unfortunately, it isn't me. We will hear some coyotes singing, regardless.

I'm working on getting a couple of pieces of top rail. Should be able to put the lights up 20', maybe 30' into the air. As far as singing goes, it's more like caterwauling from what I recall.

Well ? any musicians amongst us that would care to play ? Guitar ? Banjo ? Ukulele ?

Here's a camp favorite from a few years ago.

Folks,

I am considering driving my wife's Audi Q5 (crossover) rather than my Tundra. I do not recall the road condition where we meet. Any issues getting her car in there?
The last 1/4 mile will require that you drive slow but you can make it.
I am hoping to have a new BBQ rifle to bring this time. Got it put together today. May have to get a new trigger guard but otherwise, seems OK.

I stocked it in extra fancy Claro redwood!

I told my wife it was my Valentine's day present from her. She went with it- not.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM
Folks,

I am considering driving my wife's Audi Q5 (crossover) rather than my Tundra. I do not recall the road condition where we meet. Any issues getting her car in there?

Ed,

I've driven my Pilot in there with no issues... and one member has been in there with his older Cadillac...

I wouldn't envision an Audi Q 5 being anything to worry about...
Great and thanks.
weather forecast is calling for 60/40, which is cooler than we've had yet, mornings will be nippy.

Kent
I've gotta get packin'!

Woohoo!!
Guys (and your gals) - Maddy and I are very much looking forward to the Tonto weekend with you all. Owl has expressed interest in campfire song singing but no others have commented and has not happened at any previous events. If there is true interest by many, we can work toward that - sans guitar, unless one of you is a picker with box.

As suggested by Seafire, I will be bringing some things to give away (shooting related) and maybe some not so related.

I have been taking opportunities to sell quite a few of my rifles at local gun shows and still have some to sell. As one of those who has resisted making these gatherings a marketplace (remember those moments?), I will not bring any to display for sale. But, am willing to bring a specific firearm for you to check out if you truly are interested in it at the price noted. If interested in knowing, just send me a PM.
How did I miss that rifle pic!!! Great rifle Dennis!!!!! Congrats
Originally Posted by Owl
Thanks. P

I have a pair of orange stobe lights that can be pushed up in the air on a pole. Can see them from a long way out when it's dark outside.

Arrgghhh !!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking everywhere, but I cannot seem to the the strobes. I may have let someone borrow them, never to be returned. Checking with one of my neighbors.
Crossing my fingers that I locate them
I am hoping to have a new BBQ rifle to bring this time. Got it put together today. May have to get a new trigger guard but otherwise, seems OK.

I stocked it in extra fancy Claro redwood!

I told my wife it was my Valentine's day present from her. She went with it- not.

[Linked Image]

Lol... Extra fancy McSwirly
Hey Dennis - - - "Claro Redwood" you say? What is that - do they sell it at Home Depot? Maddy's greenhouse is built with redwood, but it's sure not claro.

Is that her own rifle Karen is holding? Wow - she looks a lot younger than you.
As far as music goes, I'll throw in my French Harp, aka harmonica. Jews harp don't work no more. Moustache too long.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
As far as music goes, I'll throw in my French Harp, aka harmonica. Jews harp don't work no more. Moustache too long.

Heard a funny story once about Jewish gal that got her moustache hairs caught in a jaw harp. Now, Bob, about that French Harp - - -.
Why Paul!! You rapscallion!!!
no one voiced any interest in a couple of boxes of old gun mags....

Going once, Going Twice...

Leaving to head down in 48 hours.. after I go up to Potlandia to pick up Scott F.
How old and which gun mags are you trying to get rid of?
Talking Stuff from like about 1990 on... and instead of titles, just ones I picked up
having articles I was interested in... pre internet days stuff...

lots of articles by people with famous reputations which are no longer with us..

like probably stuff from Ken Howell, and other writers as such are in there...
Ok,I'd be interested in them then.
Kent, is there anything that Ken and I can bring with us to help you food wise?

Judy
I think we are pretty much set, just get Ken here in one piece, better not let him drive...

Kent
She is not letting me drive...
Since we are going in my car....I’m driving. smile

Judy

I've a dull knife if it needs a trim grin
She is not letting me drive...

I bet not...

Kent
I'm supposed to watch out for any road construction and stay away from certain equipment that may be there.
Backhoe ptsd?

Kent
Yup,they are out to get me!
I recently found ~50 factory primed new Frontier (yep getting old...) 308 Win brass that I have zero use for. I'll bring them if someone can use them.
This is good, Ed.
I just MAY be able to borrow a cannon, and either get instruction on it's operation (blanks for me), or bring the owners to operate it.

Well, the daughter informed me that the cannon needs repair (carriage wheel problems) - so that fell through! frown
Good morning Mark...

Well if you bring it, I am sure someone can figure out how to break the rest of it
and then whoever at home can do a total rebuild on it from the ground up...

heck, someone may be even able to figure how to repair the carriage wheels there in Arizona..

maybe we can put some 31x 10.50s on it...
John, they use this in their re-enacting - and so are a bit particular.
Daughter, SIL, and grandkids were supposed to be re-enacting down at Socorro, but SIL came down with pneumonia. That may keep them at home.

The state actually pays them to attend re-enactments as part of their respective jobs smile We'll just have to see how well recovery goes.
Kent, my maps are OLD!!! I'm thinking it'll be quicker on I40 than 60. Your thoughts?
How are the roads from Holbrook to Payson - would we be better off going another way?
Kent, my maps are OLD!!! I'm thinking it'll be quicker on I40 than 60. Your thoughts?
How are the roads from Holbrook to Payson - would we be better off going another way?

definately I40 to Holbrook, Holbrook to Heber, Heber to Payson, Payson to 188 Roosevelt lake turn off, to Punkin center.

Kent
Man, people are dropping like flies.

Ben, Miles, Scott, John- we'll have to have a toast to them in absentia.
John, they use this in their re-enacting - and so are a bit particular.
Daughter, SIL, and grandkids were supposed to be re-enacting down at Socorro, but SIL came down with pneumonia. That may keep them at home.

The state actually pays them to attend re-enactments as part of their respective jobs smile We'll just have to see how well recovery goes.

Damn Mark! Hope he gets over that! He was always one of my favorite Germans to shoot at when he came to our Texas events! LOL. Give him my best!

All I gotta do is load the truck and get some beer and ice. Going to try to leave about midnight tonight. Or there abouts.

My .62 flint Jäger is packed for the firing detail! It's kinda like a cannon.
Bob, when are you planning on arriving ?

Jeff
When I get there I guess? Mebbe late Tuesday??
I don't have any loads in 45-70 in black powder, in fact I've never loaded BPCR.
Guess I'll leave the Sharps replica at home.

I'll bring a few other interesting items, though.
Man, people are dropping like flies.

Ben, Miles, Scott, John- we'll have to have a toast to them in absentia.

We hope it's not medical problems - pray they're healthy!
Mark - sorry to report that there is some of medical reason and mostly otherwise - but seems not avoidable in any case. These guys are of the best and we will miss them all. On the other hand, we have seemed to lack one or more we are eager to have at each gathering and those who get there always make it a great time. The reason for doing these makes them work so well for those that participate.
Cutting this one tight. I took my M700 223 AI out a week ago to find it would not extract. I haven't shot it since 1996... I pick it up tomorrow from my 'smith, will hit the range on Wednesday and on the road Thursday.
Ed - that was 22 years ago - maybe just a gummy ejector pin. I didn't know that the ".223AI" was invented that far back - goes to prove I know hardly anything about that one. How is it in the wind - been blowing hard here on the mountain for two days - hoping that stuff is out of the SW by the weekend.
Paul,

Steve Timm was playing with it back then in Varmint Hunter magazine. The ejector is fine. It just will not pull the round from the chamber. I bought the replacement part from Brownell's and was going to do it myself but also read of problems replacing it. For $40 I gave to my guy. I seem to recall playing with H335 back then and having funny things going on... I have since heard similar from others. I am going to try TAC and found some old 62 gr Berger's on the shelf.
I've not been reading this daily and now its up to 21 pages, I don' t have the attention span to step thru every page. Can someone fill me in:
Location, exact, Lat/Long, FR road etc.
time, dates in the title say fri-sat-sun I presume some of you are going up friday, staying fri night & sat night?
what other activities are plan. 'yote hunt? Shooting? (tonto put in new restrictions but paper and steel are still legal). how many folks are showing up?

I probably can't head up friday but might be able to come up saturday afternoon.

Poole
Heading out. All have a safe journey.
Bill, some folks will be on site by Wednesday - the "official" stuff starts Friday afternoon with dinner as the kickoff - and most start homeward by Sunday noon.

The shooting contests begin after breakfast on Saturday and the descriptions of those shoots can be found earlier as post #12570841 - 01/22/18. The maps to the site are about three posts later. Hope you can make it.
Ed, thanks for freshening my mind on the .223AI - not something I followed at the time.

In my old .223 I've not gone past 60g bullets and only loaded those twice. It was a 60g Hornady with 25g of 4895 and that got close to 3,000 fps. It worked pretty good - of course, better in wind than the 50s and 55s, Have not yet loaded any TAC, but have used the Berger 62g in a 22/250 and it was good stuff.

This should be fun - safe travels.
Bob - sure glad you are coming - drive safe and load good terbakky.
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I've not been reading this daily and now its up to 21 pages, I don' t have the attention span to step thru every page. Can someone fill me in:
Location, exact, Lat/Long, FR road etc.
time, dates in the title say fri-sat-sun I presume some of you are going up friday, staying fri night & sat night?
what other activities are plan. 'yote hunt? Shooting? (tonto put in new restrictions but paper and steel are still legal). how many folks are showing up?

I probably can't head up friday but might be able to come up saturday afternoon.

Poole

from Punkin center take FS409 W a mile or so and you come to a road to the right or it drops into the wash on the left, turn tight North and the camp is about 1/4 mile.

Kent

[Linked Image]
So - the weather? In that we've had some unexpected precip two and three days ago followed by unusually high winds for two days (screaming like wild ladies up here at times), I started thinking about weather for the Tonto time. Also, thought the wind would be gone by today and finally I could get some shooting prep done in mild wind or stillness by 7AM, so set the alarm and got up to find stillness - but falling snow, and it's still falling at 9:30 with no sign of quit so far. Maybe won't get to shoot at all before the gathering.

As the crow flies, we are approx 250 miles northeast of the Tonto camp - so went to our best weather site and it shows likely precip tomorrow and Thursday on the road path from here to camp - which could mean dicey mountain driving in our old MoHome - if I get the oil changed and other usual pre-trip maintenance done by tomorrow. It's pretty cold out there on that concrete slab right now.

For camp, the forecast shows likely precip on much of Friday - probably rain but maybe something colder - and a clear sunny day for Saturday. So, best to bring some clothes accordingly just in case. We've been needing moisture up here, so no complaints - but am wondering about the travel.
Kent, just past the old cattle pen?
So - the weather? In that we've had some unexpected precip two and three days ago followed by unusually high winds for two days (screaming like wild ladies up here at times), I started thinking about weather for the Tonto time. Also, thought the wind would be gone by today and finally I could get some shooting prep done in mild wind or stillness by 7AM, so set the alarm and got up to find stillness - but falling snow, and it's still falling at 9:30 with no sign of quit so far. Maybe won't get to shoot at all before the gathering.

As the crow flies, we are approx 250 miles northeast of the Tonto camp - so went to our best weather site and it shows likely precip tomorrow and Thursday on the road path from here to camp - which could mean dicey mountain driving in our old MoHome - if I get the oil changed and other usual pre-trip maintenance done by tomorrow. It's pretty cold out there on that concrete slab right now.

For camp, the forecast shows likely precip on much of Friday - probably rain but maybe something colder - and a clear sunny day for Saturday. So, best to bring some clothes accordingly just in case. We've been needing moisture up here, so no complaints - but am wondering about the travel.

We've had big winds in the Sandias, east of Albuquerque, and about an inch of snow, hail and sleet last night. Some of the roads were iced and the HS parking lot was so icy that school was canceled.

Sadly, I cannot make Tonto this year (it would be my first) because school pressures mean the kids can't go. We'll try for Armijo Springs, though, and I have some new BBQ guns to show.

Norm
Kent, just past the old cattle pen?

Bob are you already there? Call me if you need to I'm still working and not on the computer, call me 480 292 4554.

Kent
Bob - after you turn right off the gravel road in from the highway and then go along that narrower/rougher one, there will be a clear campsite on the left and maybe one on the right. There may be pens there - I forget. Pass that stuff and go up a little (less than 200 yds., I think) to the next clear area - on the right - with quite a few places clear between trees/bushes. That's our camp site. The little road turns left/downhill after that.

You're there in time to get the best spot - just don't pitch your tent in Dennis sacred place where there is some grass under that bent tree - right where all of those cow pies are. He likes to sleep on top of those.

Glad you are there safe.
Yeah! Im good!!! Nifty-250 pulled in a while ago and said this is da spot!!

He says to say to all that the road coming in is better than it's ever been!

Postscript! We are closely guarding Dennis' sacred spot!
Originally Posted by EdM
...I am going to try TAC and found some old 62 gr Berger's on the shelf.

Ed, try 25.5gr of CFE-223 if you have any. I had one partial box of old 62 gr Bergers and shot them up with that load, then switched to the 62gr Federal Fusions when they were gone. Great accuracy in all of my .223's.

Folks, I was going to try to make it, but I caught some type of virus and can't seem to shake it. I was really looking forward to seeing old friends, particularly Jim & the beautiful Nikki, and finally getting to shake EdM's hand among others. To tell the truth, I was kinda hoping to get the chance to try to beat Dennis at shooting...sort of an itch I need to scratch. grin

You'll have to toast for me, too. Gonna really miss the toast for Greg.

I'll get out that way sooner than later.

Y'all take care, don't need to tell you to have fun.

Ed
...We are closely guarding Dennis' sacred spot!

He has his own slit trench?

Ed
whistle
Oooool-hhhhhhhh - "The Warden" will be disappointed, Ed! We were both looking forward to seeing you again! We will miss you.
I hate that I could not get there. I will certainly miss seeing everyone, but I had a toe operation and have Dr. appointments that keep me from going. I had Paul and newer and bigger Baculum too. smile miles
Missing you guys already--being responsible sucks! frown
Im running behind. Had some family drama pop up with a deadbeat ex son-in-law. BUT, I WILL BE THERE. See you soon guys.
30F this morn. And sunny now!! A few clouds moving way south. Toward Globe. Nice here!!!
To All have Fun, hope to make one of these some day!
Ed, Miles, Ben - we don't have the needed words to express our disappointment - sure hope you know.

EdM - probably be good to try that load that Ed recommended - he probably wouldn't have given that out if he were going to be here to compete.

Ben - you, acting responsibly - what's new? Thinkin' about 'ya.

Miles - that toe must still be rough to keep you away - hope it's getting better. And I'm double disappointed in your case because, since some peckerwood stole mine, I need that newer/better baculum.

Folks, it's just been blowing, snowing on and off, and blustering up here for days - and that's hampered the prep operations big time. I'm trying to bring stuff but may not get it all this time. Maddy and I will try to bust out of here tomorrow morning and may be there by late afternoon. Not wanting to be pushy, but if you feel like it maybe try to save us a good place to park our old MoHome on some flat spot near the focus of stuff - it's only 24 ft. long.

Good times coming up - see you soon.
Damn friday will be 50/28 with a chance of rain, windy, improving over the weekend.

Best bring some long legg'ins...

Kent
wish i could be there but thats life going to try for the 4 corners in May would like to touch base with some of you guys then if possible ,,, till the time gets close

norm

PS have a great time in spite of the weather.
Paul, there are several spots that look doable for your mohome. Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your money back ! And not too close to Dennis ! As far as near the “focus”, we all know that wherever Paul is, that’s where the action is !!
And I'm double disappointed in your case because, since some peckerwood stole mine, I need that newer/better baculum.
Back while I was still working, I was informed that peckerwood was a racist term. I laughed at Him. I will have you a nice one in July. I thought about getting some supplies from Hobby Lobby, and making Janet a pair of earrings. smile miles
Tonight, nifty and I enjoyed a meal of grilled Texas hot gut, followed by a nice South African digestiv, and some of Kentucky's finest! Followed by after dinner music 🎶 of American traditional pieces on the Hohner "Marine Band" #364. To those not here, your loss. Looking forward to your timely arrival.

Kaywoodie

PS.

Ranger Green! If you are coming, we are in serious need of additional "Rub of the Brush"!
[Linked Image]

Guard tent for Dennis' "sacred spot"
Damn Bob that is way to close to Dennis... I'm warning ya.

I won't get there till friday, swamped at work, worked all weekend and still have to hit 2 jobs tomorrow... never fails.

Kent
This is what happens when white trailer trash hits your neighborhood!!

Doublewides next week!!! Woohoo!!!

PS

I hear Dennis has a very accommodating dawg!!! wink

And it was a bit brisk last evening!!
Mr. Seafire just pulled in. Going to help him set up now. Goodnight
If anyone going has folding tables and room please bring them.

Kent
I'm hoping to arrive Friday. We are trying to reach Payson by Thursday night. If the weather is dicey, my little City wife swill stay in the motel, as she is deathly afraid of snakes. I told her that snakes don't come out in cold weather but that is she won't listen. She is a scairdy cat when it comes to the outdoors. This whole trip has been a series of compromises.
Night Bob, don't scare the yotes off and watch for elk, they are down there.

Kent
I'm hoping to arrive Friday. We are trying to reach Payson by Thursday night. If the weather is dicey, my little City wife swill stay in the motel, as she is deathly afraid of snakes. I told her that snakes don't come out in cold weather but that is she won't listen. She is a scairdy cat when it comes to the outdoors. This whole trip has been a series of compromises.

No snakes will be out for sure, travel safe.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
If anyone going has folding tables and room please bring them.

Kent

I'm bringing 2 4' tables with me.I should be there by noon on Friday. My friend is not feeling to well and will not be making this trip.
just reviewed the calendar with the boss (the one here at home). Its not looking like I can make it for an overnight this year. Probably not even a day trip. But me coueshunter and I were talking about it today, and we're going to try for next year!

Poole
I just threw my wool britches in my bag.
Originally Posted by EdM
I just threw my wool britches in my bag.
That's a halfway good move Ed - the other halfway good move may be putting them on for Friday. That forecast is not getting any better. Sat and Sun look good.
Bob - if you don't zip or tie tight that antiquated shelter tonight, you may have a javelina or two as bedmates by morning. Never heard one snore, but they sure do smell funny.

Ranger - we can gin up some scary snake doings if you want to take the good wife to a higher level of interest.

Miles, my friend, I can GARONTEE you that the term peckerwood was not in any way racist where I grew up. Actually, I guess that person was a pecker thief. Anyway, I'll protect the newer/bigger one a lot better - no more decorated hats onto public racks. As for your making those earrings for Janet, that is one first class creative idea and I can't wait to see your concoction - and her face when you present them.

Getting near bed time here if M and I are going to get the early start we intend. Looking forward to joining all of you critters.
I hear Dennis has a very accommodating dawg!!!

Dang that poor dog scared the beejeebees outa me...<grin>
The lovely and talented Ms Niki has a speaking engagement in ABQ tomorrow and again Friday morning, so we will head for Albuquerque in the AM, spend the night and head for AZ as soon as we can on Friday, like @ 1200.

I-40 West from ABQ, Holbrook turnoff, Heber, Payson, and Punkin Center, Marriott. ETA 6 PM if all goes well. I will bring a camp table. If something is needed (alcohol, gunpowder, flour, tortillas, etc.) from the Big City, text Wife's cell # at 575-642-4751 and we will try to round up such things.

Niki is on a special diet for a GI affliction, as per Mayo in Phoenix. She will be bringing her own food, mostly, but really enjoys the company of this bunch of reprobates, so don't tease her too much. She still likes elk, deer and beef, so we will probably re-up for another 40 years.

Temperatures here have dropped again tonight. We will be anticipating cool weather in AZ and warm conversations around the campfire. Safe travels, amigos.
As for your making those earrings for Janet, that is one first class creative idea and I can't wait to see your concoction - and her face when you present them.

I first thought of them for Maddy, but I don't want Her mad at me. I figured that if Janet would not get mad at you, for what you pulled last year, I would be OK. I still wanted to run it by you first. miles
It is a beautiful, sunny clear morning in Tonto Basin. The air is filled with the aroma of cooking bacon and sausage. The temp at 9:00 am is in the high 40s but quite pleasant in the bright sunshine with no breeze.
Milo, tell everyone that I said Hi. Wish that I could have made it. miles
We are missing you, too, Miles. Kaywoodie is in full form, so you know what you are missing. Our sides are starting to hurt from laughing so hard. Dave Price and Doug Wynn are here now, getting settled in. Still nice and sunny and clear. 58 degrees with a breeze at 2:10 pm.
DARBY, the mayor of Show Low, AZ just arrived. I hope his town can get by without him for a few days !!
Thanks for the updates guys, keep it coming I am jealous
Kaywoodie is in full form, so you know what you are missing. Our sides are starting to hurt from laughing so hard.

Get Him and David (Paladin) together, cutting up, and you will hurt for days. miles
Lots more rolling in now. OWL is here and Dennis and Ruby arrived and got their tent set up under the tree. Mark and Marcia from Benson, AZ arrived with their high-stepping all-terrain trailer. Paul and Maddie are delayed in Payson with a mechanical problem. Hopefully they can make it in tomorrow. Lots of good friendship and fellowship is already taking place. The firing line opened today with some informal practice. The weather was nice today with lighter breezes. Let the good times roll!
Late night update: Paul and Maddie made it into camp after dark to an enthusiastic welcoming committee. Minor problems delayed them in Payson, but Paul dug out some tools and put his brain to work and solved the problems. All is well as the moon rises over Tonto Basin.
Good to hear. miles
Heading up there in a few hours. Should be in late afternoon/early evening.
I am eating a killer plate of Arizona Mexican food in Globe at the moment.
Dang. I sure hate missing another one of these gigs. This having to work for a living sucks out loud.

Have fun guys.
Well, drinking coffee while the camp.is still in bed. Last morning, kaywoodie hit the trail as did Edm already. It was a good time with old and now new friends.

Weather waz cold and worst windy most the time, we saluted Greg by gun and toast... I didn't proliferate about my remembrance of Greg as the group didn't need to be gathered and punished by the wind or my voice... Greg would have enjoyed our farewell.

One more breakfast and off we go.

Kent
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

bunch of OLD guys shooting at the wind .

presuming that was the SALUTE to GREG.

good on you guys wish i could have made it,,KRP how about an introduction from left to right for faces and names.

norm
Looks like a good time. I was on the hook for a weeklong trip to The Workers Paradise of SoCal so no way of making this one - one of these years though. Looking forward to more pics and detail, especially of the salute to GC.

Looking at the salute pic, is everyone getting shorter, or just wider? grin
Home safe. Great time. Just pulled in. More later!!!!!
Well them reprobates couldn't stand in a straight line so you can only see a few of us, wife took the picture.

Anyway starting with Kaywoodie in the red in one picture and getting cut out in the shoot picture... I think there will be better pictures coming... here's who was there, first those that can be seen.

Kaywoodie (Bob)
mark subert
45-100 (Mark)
VF154 (Doug)
Seafire (John)
Border doc (Jim)
CCCC (Paul)
dennisinaz
Owl (Jeff)
I'm way at the other end with the white hat and tan coat trying to get these fellows in line.
Jeff Page
DARBY (Joe)
nifty two fifty (Milo)
EdM
elkhunternm (Ken)
KC
RoadRunner65 (Joe)
Dave Price
A friend of Dave's and Doug I'm sorry I forgot his name
Ranger green (Tracy) attended with his lovely family but had to leave prior to the salute.

I said a few words about how this event started in 2011 with a trip to Greg's place after his mother passed from this core group. Wind was howling and words were short... Greg would have enjoyed it. Later we had a toast and farewell to our friend. Many remembrances were shared throughout the weekend.

It was a great time thanks again all who attended.

Kent
thanks Kent waiting for more pics.

norm
Currently sitting in a hotel in beautiful Fort Stockton...
Some pics I took.

Friday evening...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Saturday....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Camp pic..
[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie shooting his flintlock .62 caliber.
[Linked Image]
More pics...
[Linked Image]

The bromance continues.
[Linked Image]

Beauty and the beast,what I took up there.
[Linked Image]

Top is a Winchester M 101 12 gauge and the bottom is a Sako .222 Rem.
Originally Posted by EdM
Currently sitting in a hotel in beautiful Fort Stockton...

Been there, done that. And probably will again in a week.
You take the best photos and host the best event. Thank you so much for allowing me and my family to attend. I hope that my kids did not disturb anyone. Thanks for everyone treating my little City-girl wife so well as she was under the weather herself. Now that we made it home she agrees that there were no snakes.

Oh and that fried fish was delicious.

I can't express how great it is to meet you all in person. My kids said I talked too much and too fast but that is because of excitement and a sixteen hour drive the day prior. For anyone who hasn't been as fortunate to make one of these, I strongly urge you to meet some great characters of the Modern West.
Tracy, it was our pleasure to meet you and your family! I probably speak for many others in hoping you can attend another event.
Tracy,
Thanks for coming so far to be there with us. It was a privilege to meet you and your family. I felt like I already knew you from the internet, and then it is even better to meet you in person. I hope we meet up again someday. And your girls were very nice. They certainly weren’t bothersome in any way. And the five dogs in attendance all approved of your girls, too.
I'm home, just gorged myself on elk burgers and Carne Asada. Everyone keeps asking me why my face is so sun/wind burned! It was nice to see everyone. Can't wait until August when we do it all again in NM.

Good morning Everyone.

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to all of those that were able to participate this year. It was a grand time. I certainly enjoyed renewing old friendships and meeting new friends too.
For those of you that were not able to attend this year, you were missed. We understand that life does get in the way sometimes, and look forward to see you at the next gathering.

A big thank you to all of those that had to travel very long distances, and to those that had to leave family home in order to do so.

And last, but certainly not least. A VERY thank you to KRP and Cheryl for the endless work that they did to keep us feed, and to those that assisted in cooking and cleaning to make the
time more enjoyable. It is truly a labor of love that you perform, and we want all of you know that it is very much appreciated.

Jeff
You take the best photos and host the best event. Thank you so much for allowing me and my family to attend. I hope that my kids did not disturb anyone. Thanks for everyone treating my little City-girl wife so well as she was under the weather herself. Now that we made it home she agrees that there were no snakes.

Oh and that fried fish was delicious.

I can't express how great it is to meet you all in person. My kids said I talked too much and too fast but that is because of excitement and a sixteen hour drive the day prior. For anyone who hasn't been as fortunate to make one of these, I strongly urge you to meet some great characters of the Modern West.

Tracy, enjoyed meeting you and your wonderful family. Our children are the people that are going to carry on in the future for us. Would love to see them at each gathering you attend. Thank you for traveling such a long distance.

Jeff
Home safe. Great time. Just pulled in. More later!!!!!

Bob, I cannot express to you how wonderful it was to be able to see you again. Hope all is well.

Talk to you soon,

Gott segne dich, bis wir uns wiedersehen.
Here's a pic nifty250 took of some malo hombres this past week!

[Linked Image]

The food was awesome. Thanks to all who contributed. Especially Kent, Cheryl, Dennis, mrs. 45_100, Darby and whoever I missed! Darby's chili was first rate! KC whipped up some good cornbread in his new oven! Kent is a culinary wizard!! What great chow!
And thanks to those who headed up the shooting events! I didnt shoot much but I know the folls really enjoyed it!

Meeting and making new friends was great as usual! As Dennis stated , cant wait to do it all again in August!

Thanks again to al who made it possible!
I sent these photos to the Food Network suggesting "Cooking the Southwest with Kent". My Italian friend there Giada de Laurentiis said she would hook him up. He should be receiving a call soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Damn it Ed that made me laugh...

Those old trail cooks had nicknames, I want mine to be 'Ol suger'tit...

Kent
How about "sweet cheeks" for nickname. wink
That's not food related you sicko...

Kent
Ok,fine "sugar buns" happy now?
yes...

Kent
Great!
And "The Bromance" thrives! smile smile smile

I love Kent for his killer crappie filets!!!! Damn they are good! Hell ever thing he cooks is awesome!!!

grin

I love Kent for his killer crappie filets!!!! Damn they are good! Hell ever thing he cooks is awesome!!!

They were a standout at the last Armijp Springs event.

Norm
That was one great weekend filled to the brim with fine folks, fine doings and fine food. Tracy, as old rascal hunter/shooter types we enjoyed your kids and wife as always we seem to do when guys bring them along - as long as they don't mind our stories and jibes. One fine feature was that we had new faces and renewal of some old ones - bonus stuff - and even one stranger from a far off campsite who heard the shooting and came to see what was up.

This was a continued shakedown cruise for the rather unique old motorhome we got last August and, even with some roadside repairs on the way in and the way home - as well as some re-plumbing in camp (thanks for the help Dennis, et al) - looks like it will be just about right for us in our dotage.

Many thanks to all who talked, ate, shot and helped their way to making it a fine time for all.
Date for Armijo Springs is Aug 3-4 in case you missed the announcement.
I made it home safely to Redding, CA late this afternoon. The almost-straight, two-day shot home from Payson was 1059 miles. I went the 40 miles from Tonto Basin to Payson on Sunday afternoon. Arriving in town I swung through WalMart for some groceries. Right next door to WalMart I noticed the Firestone garage was open for business, on Sunday, no less! I swung in and in a matter of minutes I got a replacement for my house battery that died on me during the Tonto Basin stay. Then a mile away I plugged in the RV at my sister-in-laws house, and took a long, hot shower.

My whole trip, with a few days of family business in PHX and Tucson prior to the Campfire rendezvous, lasted 13 days and I put 2518 miles on the RV.

I routed my return trip yesterday (Monday) through Prescott in order to drop in on Dan Pedersen at Classic Barrel and Gunworks. I missed him. Due to health issues he is only working 4 afternoons a week and he is not open on Mondays.

The drive got interesting last night in the dark driving from Mojave through the mountains, through Tehachapi, then down the mountain to Bakersfield. The rain started at Mojave, and by the time I got to Tehachapi at 4,000 ft. elevation it was snowing fairly hard. The air temp was right at 32 degrees, and the snow wasn't sticking to the road yet as I passed through about 20 miles of snowfall before dropping back into the rain nearing Bakersfield. I am glad I wasn't doing that stretch a couple of hours later due to the many steep grades on that route. This morning driving up through the Central Valley some of the higher ridges of the coastal mountains were dusted with snow. It was sunny and clear all day today, but rain is arriving again tomorrow evening and forecast to continue off and on for 5 days.

Today I took a lunch break in Oroville and dropped in at Huntington's gun shop, (affiliated with RCBS). They usually have some interesting used and consignment guns in their racks. I did buy some Sierra bullets that were on my want list, that they had in stock.

To sum up the Tonto Basin get-together, I would say: great people, great food, and great memories. A very fine group of folks with diverse backgrounds and stories, who all appreciate the fellowship of the shooting sports. The cold wind made this gathering a bit more challenging than in the past, but the spirits were high and everyone had a good time. Thanks again to Kent, Cheryl, Mark, Marcia, Joy, Dennis, and everyone else for chipping in and making the event a success.
Rolled in at 10:30 tonight... hit a lot of snow in Nevada so slow going in spots...

Glad to read Milo didn't take the same route...

2405 miles for me...total...

kinda tired but am well...

that should mean all we horses are back in the barn....
Milo! John! Glad y'all made it back safe!!!
Milo! John! Glad y'all made it back safe!!!

Roger that.
Ahem,,,, the two handsome-est dudes in the Tonto Basin!!!

[Linked Image]

Damn the two of em shouldn't be allowed In Arizona at the same time!!
Ahem,,,, the two handsome-est dudes in the Tonto Basin!!!

[Linked Image]

Damn the two of em shouldn't be allowed In Arizona at the same time!!

There is some serious wisdom there.
Anyone that has Kent's phone number, give him a call and let him know he has a PM....

I don't think he frequents the campfire much at all...

Appreciation in advance...

cheers
seafire
Got it thanks.

Kent
Well folks, it seems y'all had a great time.

Wish I could have joined the fun. Seems there's more than one of us Californians (I know you fellas have other names for us eek ) that made it and an Oregonian who's a bit further away than I am. Perhaps next year I can schedule things better, but having drawn a turkey tag in AZ for April/May I couldn't figure a way to make two trips there this spring.

I'm sure Greg heard the salute, looked like enough firepower to hold of a large band of ne'er do wells. Kaywoody's fire and smoke belching .62 would likely have scared off half of them as ne'er do wells are a cowardly bunch.

Thanks all for sharing the good times and pics with the rest of us here.

Geno
Good on you lads, sorry I did not make this gathering.

Dan
I didn't take pictures these are from Bunny and Cheryl.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I am so envious to have missed it! (Family conflicts with timing and health reasons.)

Norm
Originally Posted by Anjin
I am so envious to have missed it! (Family conflicts with timing and health reasons.)

Norm

and I am grateful for finally making it.
It was good to meet you, and your family, Tracy.
It was good to meet you, and your family, Tracy.

I'll second that remark, Tracy.
I know it was a very long way for you to come with your family. Thanks for making the effort.
Your presence added to the experience for the rest of us.

And Mark, it was a pleasure to meet you and Joy. It is fun to put real people together with their online personalities.
© 24hourcampfire