Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Hello folks. Dennis will be the lead guy for our shooting contests at the Tonto event, and I will be helping him with setup, materials, etc.. Owl, if you have any 4" targets or 4" spots to spare, we may need those.[/b]

Yes, I have them. I'll work with Dennis and bring what ever is needed, and in my possession.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
Mark, you could easily get your camp trailer into the site, but Joy might be more comfortable in the motel. Miles got in an out just fine with his mobile Taj Mahal. grin

Miles, have not heard you chiming in... Are you going to be able to make it this year ?

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Trip is planned. I will be there around noon Friday.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Owl

Miles, have not heard you chiming in... Are you going to be able to make it this year ?
Jeff

I just communicated with Miles. His schedule is still uncertain. He says he will let us know when the time gets closer. He is hoping to make it.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
D
D
David Price please look closely that is an elk. Wow great job guys.

IC B2

D
D
I will be riding shot gun with David Price. looking forward to a fun shoot. Oh can't wait for the elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for all the work done by so many people on behalf of Greg and Campfire friends.

Niki and I have slogged back to a more normal life and have reservations at Punkin Center motel. Should arrive Friday evening.

Very much looking forward to seeing friends and the shooting of multiple bulls.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim - this is FANTASTIC news. We have missed you and Niki a bunch - it has been way too long. The bull shooting has been pretty good, but it's bound to get better with you among us. You'll probably meet a few fine critter that have shown up since you drifted off. Hope you arrive in time for dinner on Friday - we'll be watching for you.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Howdy to the Campfire gang. I will be there this year, but Michael will not. He has a competition that weekend. I will be bringing an old friend with me if he stays healthy enough. I'm sure he will enjoy everyone's comany and vice versa. We will be in my motorhome this year, if anybody needs to borrow a tent, i have 2 available. A 10x10 and a 10x13. Both are easy up tents. Just let me know and I will bring them.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting the newcomers. I will bring a BP muzzle loader for the salute. (Although it is a modern inline). If anyone needs something that they don't want to travel with and I can pick it up for you on my way in let me know and I will get it.
I thinks it going to be another great weekend of shooting , bs-ing and eating all the great food.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great to hear Joe - looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your buddy.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is there any logic to choosing ranges outside what many of can shoot that have zero access to public land? My range runs to 100 yards, no more so 150 or ??? is tough. What is the basis for the shoots?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed - good questions. One thing we have learned through these many gatherings is that it is way better to be able to run the shooting activities at or very near the campsite. We've managed to do otherwise a few times early on, but it was messy and not near as enjoyable.

The location in Tonto basin is flat enough in general to enable decent spots for campers/tents for the number that normally attend and a good common area for eating, spreading bull, etc., - but the surroundings are hilly so, to shoot at that site, we are pretty much limited to 150 yards. For the summer event up in the forest at Armijo Springs, we can reach out to 300 yards from the camp site.

Why do we shoot some events at more than 100 yards? We do this to provide variety of shooting activity not enabled elsewhere and, because some of these guys are very good shooters, we do it to create good challenges. Yes, some folks are at a disadvantage in some cases due to dearth of longer range practice sites, lack of time to practice, less sophisticated equipment than others, diminished eyesight, etc., etc. Always happens. Two summers ago we ran a very short range contest - a big game shoot complete with a fast charging elephant, and shot only with big bore rifles and heavy bullets/loads. The range got down to less than 10 feet. I think we did not allow scopes. It was successful, but some guys were at a disadvantage because they did not own such a rifle and had to use someone else's if they wanted to join in, some had never shot a big bore heavy rifle at a moving target, and some simply didn't want to deal with that level of recoil energy. But - we all had fun - including the spectators and that fast running guy that pulled the targets. We'll probably use an ATV the next time - if there is a next time.

With regard to distances, we reason that the three 150 yard shoots aren't very much more challenging than a 100 yard shoot - some folks may need to adjust sights once in camp, and there is plenty of time/opportunity for that. An exception may be the .22LR shoot at 150 yds. That one is a bit of a wild card - and if there is any wind of note, high-dollar equipment/ammo and previous practice can prove inconsequential. So, for anyone there is always hope.

The 30 yard rimfire shoot may seem much easier, but then it is not from a bench rest and scopes are not allowed - some of our eyes are so lousy that we can't score well with open or iron sights. I guess it all evens out. We try to put all emphasis on enjoyment and friendly competition - thus camaraderie. From experience, we know that you are an excellent shooter. For one, I feel certain that you will enjoy it. Hope this is responsive.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Appreciate the reply Paul. On another note, I have a NIB Oehler M35P that I just don't see myself using. If anyone attending the event is interested at $375 I will bring it along.

https://oehler-research.com/model-35p/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed - someone may be interested. Does yours include the printer, three Skyscreen III detectors, the four-foot rail and two folding stands, all in a hard case?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
Ed - someone may be interested. Does yours include the printer, three Skyscreen III detectors, the four-foot rail and two folding stands, all in a hard case?

Yep.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Three weeks out.

For new attendees, if you would like for me to review your travel route I can confirm the best way once you enter AZ, I just need to know what highway or freeway and direction of travel.

Some folks will be there earlier in the week, can those people confirm that here, I hope to go up thursday morning if work allows.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm hoping to be in Tuesday or so...will probably have Scott F. in tow...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent, I hope to be in by Thursday afternoon - will bring Maddy and an RV trailer for the first time and need to get spotted before dark. Should we plan to bring some extra food for the pot due to early arrival?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost forgot this - it has been noted that we should try to have a hanging or posted lantern or two located where we gather for the evening. I don't own such a rig. Can anyone bring one - or two?
Thanks. P

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
If I'm there thursday I will have food for thur night and friday morning. Also Butcher Hook has great food and a bar/store/gas station a few miles south of camp for those early arrivals.

I have lanterns and will bring some.

Kent

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 59 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.