-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7mm-08 Montana will shoot one inch groups with 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and 120 gr. Barnes TTSX’s, which is what I mostly hunt with anyway, but what if it only shot two inch groups? If the rifle is properly zeroed, that means at 100 yds. I am hitting one inch from point of aim. Extrapolate that out to 400 yds. I’m still gonna hit the basketball! And I think the number of folks who shoot at game animals at 400 yds. is a whole,whole lot smaller than those who don’t. And those who do shoot at that distance can probably be reduced even more if the word “should” is added, but that’s not a subject for this thread. Just my thoughts. Heck, even a three inch group places all shots within an inch and a half of POA at 100 yds. One could still hit the vitals of the average big game animal at 300 yds. And yes I do understand that none of us want a rifle that shoots three inch groups, but I’m just saying............... I have come to accept rifles that won’t shoot little bug holes, IF I like the rifle to begin with.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thats a very nice start.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three Montana's a 223,308, and a 7wsm, they all shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100.Planning on picking up a 7-08 in the near future. I like my odds of the way that will shoot.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
This Classic is my second. The other is a Select in 30-06. Both are 3/4" rifles. I just flat love the weight and feel of these things.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Otter,

how soon do you expect to test those TBT's? I'm curious to hear how they do.

I sure like the spec's!

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by qwk
They discontinued both around the same time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but Kimber still offers the Classic, Hunter, Montana and Mountain Ascent 84Ms in 7mm-08 Rem. As to why the .260 Rem was such a failure is still a mystery. It's particularly odd given that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been and continues to be a big success for Kimber, and just about every other rifle manufacturer.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by qwk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but Kimber still offers the Classic, Hunter, Montana and Mountain Ascent 84Ms in 7mm-08 Rem. As to why the .260 Rem was such a failure is still a mystery. It's particularly odd given that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been and continues to be a big success for Kimber, and just about every other rifle manufacturer.

The 7mm-08 was brought back in late 2013. They didn't manufacture them for almost 5 years.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by qwk

The 7mm-08 was brought back in late 2013. They didn't manufacture them for almost 5 years.

I have one of those second runs of 7-08's. I've been playing with the rifle about 4 years and am just now learning everything about it. I am now convinced that many of the accuracy problems associated with the rifles are both ammunition and shooter related. It's taken me many hundred rounds of ammo to both learn the rifle and find what it likes, but I finally have a load the rifle really likes. The difference between a load it doesn't like being shot incorrectly from the bench and a load it does like being shot correctly from the bench is staggering.

At first I had never shot a centerfire this light and both good groups and terrible ones had me shaking my head,ready to sell it several times but I kept at it,bedding the rifle,and even changing scopes and mounts a couple times to make sure. I have now repeated my findings enough to know exactly what I am talking about.

At 100 yards,if I shoot some factory load it doesn't like like the hornady superformance and let the gun free recoil,I could get a 3 shot group 6-9 inches across,just barely on a sheet of typing paper. My handloads of 41 grains will produce 2.5-3" groups when allowed free recoil. My handloads of 42 grains that it likes when using downward pressure to mitigate recoil will produce 5 shot groups of 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. I repeated the theory again yesterday a few times producing several one hole groups with the right ammo held right as well as several that would have missed a basketball with the wrong ammo held wrong.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/21/18.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Otter,

how soon do you expect to test those TBT's? I'm curious to hear how they do.

I sure like the spec's!

shane

Soon. Im working in Ohio for a couple days. Be home fri I figure. There are 5 in the loading block as we speak. Middle of the road RL17 charge.

Last edited by Otter6; 02/21/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 21 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.