Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
stxhunter,

According to friends, who are employed by ICE & the USBP (and the men/women of the TBV, who patrol the private ranches), they routinely see free range Axis deer while patrolling Jim Wells & surrounding counties for illegals/drug smugglers/common criminals. - So, YEP, I'm pretty sure of that.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wouldn't surprise me, i doubt they're as common as up in the hill country though.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ggarcia85
I will be hunting around the Rocksprings area.

Tons of Aoudad in this area. They can get obnoxious....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
stx & All,

To "stx", SORRY. WRONG answer.

As I said elsewhere, I'm a TMN & we routinely see free ranging Axis deer all over the hill country when out doing small mammal, avian & reptile studies/surveys. - NO, I've NOT seen any of the "Ole Boys" so far there, as they are NOT hanging around when we are out counting, trapping & .chipping/releasing wildlife. = They EVAPORATE into the brush at the first human sound/scent.

During the OCT "Small Mammal Survey", my field-partner & I were "running traps" & walked up on a pair of Axis does, who didn't even seem to be much bothered by our presence, until Melissa sneezed. At that sneeze, it was "Adios, gringos!".
(Our chapter of the TMN do 3 surveys per year of small mammals, as well as avian counts & 2 reptile studies each year for TPWD & TAMU at several Texas Natural Areas.)

Note to ALL: I would encourage our forum members to trained/become a Master Naturalist in TX, your State or nation of residence. = Imo, what we volunteers do is valuable to the conservation of game & non-game species, as well as restoration/preservation of the natural environment. We also are "heavily involved in" youth outdoor education/training projects, with 4H, BSA, GSA, Campfire & numerous ISD.
(Our Chapter, ALAMO AREA MASTER NATURALISTS is the originating/ founding chapter of the Master Naturalist groups, Worldwide. Since our founding in 1997 by "6 just regular folks", who were interested in conservation/preservation/invasive species removal/restoration of the TX outdoors, the program has spread to over 25 States & 6 foreign nations. = Australia, Canada, Germany, Great Britain , Ireland & NZ - Two more nations are soon to be added to the "loose organization" of "crazy volunteers".)

A Personal Note: Before you decide to become what my classmate (Jim Baker) calls one of the "Whining Weed Wienies" OR join the Texas S.A.L.S.A. Team, be SURE that you are physically in good enough shape to do what they require their members to do. = Just ONE long weekend with the SALSA "lunatics" convinced me that I'm "just to damned old & beat up" to keep up with their members. = I "hurt for a week" thereafter.

yours, tex
Class 41, AACTMN

Last edited by satx78247; 02/22/18. Reason: grammar/clarity

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lets see now: my first axis spike was with a 7.7x58 Japanese sporter with Norma ammo. The second spike was with a M1 DCM carbine and Win 110 gr. HSP ammo thru both lungs. The third was a buck with my Win 670 30-06 loaded down to 300 Sav ballistics. With the exception of the spike shot thru the lungs with the M1 Carbine, they all died quickly with a minimum of follow up. Axis deer meat is highly prized in Hawaii, there are no scent glands. We usually eat everything except the bark. Mel Chung in Hawaii.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I smashed my Hawaiian axis with a 243 dunno what ammo it was. “Guide” says you better use my 30-06 they’re big and tough, I said naw pass the 243. Killed him in his bed about 40 yards, 1 and done...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
melchung,

Fwiw, my "go to rifle" for all game up to about 200 KG is my Model 760 in .300SAV & loaded with a GCCB to Spanish-American War .30-40 Krag ballistics. = 170 grain bullet at about 2,000FPS. = That "old school" load kills cleanly & with little loss of edible meat out to 250M.
(I haven't yet had to chase a deer/predator with that cheap CB load if I did my part.)

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve killed two nice Axis bucks - one with a 7mm Rem Mag & 150gr Scirocco and the other w/ a .243 & 80 gr. TTSX. Both did the 50 yard death dash after a lung shot. I doubt a whitetail would have acted any differently.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've been hunting Axis in Texas for over 20 years and I hope to do so for 20 more. I've got 100's of Axis photos but I'm not going to resize them all just to be able to post them here. Great animal to hunt but they are hard on a WT herd as they just will out compete them. I've never killed an Axis that wasn't fat and slick no matter the terrain conditions. They will and can eat many things that WT deer simply won't or can't eat!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/23/18.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I killed five with a bow, they died just as fast as a whitetail.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Elkhunter49; hanco,

AGREED 100%. = Axis deer are & no more "bullet-proof" than any other similar sized deer. = In point of fact, out at Camp Bullis (a nearby military facility) several Axis have been killed (at close range) with loads of 7 1/2 birdshot. = Here in TX, exotic species may lawfully be taken by "any otherwise lawful means", 24/365.

One major difference in the 2 species: WT do not graze on grass/'weeds. - They mostly eat leaves/twigs as "browsers". Otoh, Axis, given the choice, will graze on grass, if available. If there is insufficient grass available, they WILL eat leaves/twigs & many other items.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WHere is Camp Bowie? I know Camp Bullis very well and the fact it has a lot of Axis but as much as we have shot in the SA area over the years I just don't know the Bowie name for some reason?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My brother uses a 60 partition in a .223 , and for his big gun a .243. You do not want to waste a lot of Axis meat............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rost485,

OOPS. = SHOULD have written CAMP BULLIS. (SORRY - I'm OLD, OLD) .=. = BRAIN CRAMP.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
These are 'farmed' deer? High/low fence sort of deal?

More like in reverse.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tronbender; Reloder28,

I received an email this PM from a rancher in far southeast TX, who said that Axis deer were brought into TX many years ago for both hunting & in the hope that they would eat noxious weeds, brush & mesquite.

Charles H___________ further said that the current "free range" Axis deer are often, "several generations away from the deer that had been penned up" & that many of the "free ranging Axis are now fully naturalized TX deer, are now truly wild animals, are now bigger/better nourished/bettered antlered than their cousins in India & will likely remain part of the TX environment for a very long time, despite hunting/netting/trapping."

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
There was a damn big axis carcass laying in the median of IH 10 sunday morning at the US 290 exit. And another smaller on down 290 toward Harper. And yet another between Stonewall and Johnson city! Free range axis are all over that country.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kaywoodie,

YEP.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve shot a half dozen or so with a bow. When shot in the right place they are clearly no tougher than WT. The vitals are farther forward and than a WT, not unlike a feral hog. If you try to center punch the lungs like you do on a WT, you’d be catching the back of the lungs/liver in my experience. I find the does smaller and the bucks larger than the TX WT. I also find the oldest bucks to be as canny as any WT I’ve ever hunted. I’m sure either caliber will be fine if you do your part. Just my .02.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rost495
WHere is Camp Bowie? I know Camp Bullis very well and the fact it has a lot of Axis but as much as we have shot in the SA area over the years I just don't know the Bowie name for some reason?

Hey Jeff, just in case you wanted to know, Camp Bowie is up by Brownwood. wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,234
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.