Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Tracks
Up here on the North end, it's 7 degrees, the roads are iced up and it's a miserable gray day. Nothing resembling the picture most out of state folks have in their heads.
On the other hand it's a small town, quite, with low crime. I love it.

This is exactly what we're looking for. A place where we can tolerate the weather better than the hordes of city people.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Still plenty of places in Colo. that a guy can live and be happy. To do it, you just need money, lots of money. Land/housing prices are going up at break neck speeds. They don't seem to be able to build houses fast enough every where you look. The trick is to find a spot where you can avoid the major highways and where you live not far from where you work. Unemployment is very low, number of houses to be found to buy is also very low. Hunting is still good, although since merging parks with wildlife, seems they can't find enough funds to function so they are constantly looking for ways to rape the hunter out of more money. Tags are getting harder to get across the state. You want to hunt in a draw area, you're too late to start applying because point creep out runs the number of PP's you can build up, and that's only going to get worse with the changes that were made starting for this years drawing.
Politics suck, but could be worse and will probably only get worse over the years.

My wife and I were lucky and landed on 40 acres where we can step out and shoot any time we want, and most of our neighbors do the same. Shot a nice mulie two years ago and a decent buck antelope last year, on my own property. There are still places like ours to be had, just takes money.

I come from rural and couldn't live in suburbia if I had to. Look further east of the Springs, Castle Rock, Denver, Ft. Collins. The further east you look the cheaper it gets.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love Colorado. Moved here in 1979. I live in Durango. I like the Western Slope. Craig is a little too cold for me. Anywhere from Rifle down is good IMO. GJ, Delta, Montrose, Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Spgs.

Don't believe the politics BS-----It's fine here. I've got CC no problem. Best state there is IMO. Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny reading the comments here seeing as I recently moved to Colorado Springs. I’ve got news for you guys unless you live in sub 5000 person town in America and nowhere near a decent job market the swelling population and sprawling construction is a fact of life. I don’t know where all the people are coming from but after living in Texas for a while everything negative that’s been said about Denver has been everyday life in every big city in Texas for a while. You want to talk about growth Texas is out of control. I’ve also visited family in 3 different regions in Florida annually and it’s the same story there. The only places to live and get away from the sprawling expansion of humans in this country is in places that have extremely harsh weather that most can’t tolerate as well as accepting that malls, restraunts and fancy shopping centers aren’t available.

To me Co Springs isn’t that bad compared to what I left behind in Texas. Traffic is never so bad that I get ancy like I used to in Texas. Denver can be bad at times but it still isn’t like San Antonio, Houston or DFW. But I usually only run up to Lone Tree to hit Cabelas so I’m never too deep into the center of the city. I do have some apprehension over what I thought hunting and fishing would be like here as opposed to what it actually will be. Every person I talk to has so much negativity about the quality of hunting here with the one common denominator being over crowding. I keep hearing about the sea of orange when deer and elk hunting and also being told that to fish the best streams and rivers only on weekdays because weekends are a nightmare. I’m really trying to maintain an open mind towards it all. It is beautiful here and the weather is awesome. For every one crappy cold snowy day you usually get another 5 slightly warmer and with plenty of sunshine,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having grown up in the Western state with the biggest population of crazy people and now 21 years in Alaska, I just don't think I could do Colorado with the option of Wyoming, Idaho or Montana yes.

But as AK cub says, any big city in any state is going to have it's share of communist do gooders and morons. It's a sad fact of life, put too many people in one spot and the stupid bubbles to the surface.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Funny reading the comments here seeing as I recently moved to Colorado Springs. I’ve got news for you guys unless you live in sub 5000 person town in America and nowhere near a decent job market the swelling population and sprawling construction is a fact of life. I don’t know where all the people are coming from but after living in Texas for a while everything negative that’s been said about Denver has been everyday life in every big city in Texas for a while. You want to talk about growth Texas is out of control. I’ve also visited family in 3 different regions in Florida annually and it’s the same story there. The only places to live and get away from the sprawling expansion of humans in this country is in places that have extremely harsh weather that most can’t tolerate as well as accepting that malls, restraunts and fancy shopping centers aren’t available.

To me Co Springs isn’t that bad compared to what I left behind in Texas. Traffic is never so bad that I get ancy like I used to in Texas. Denver can be bad at times but it still isn’t like San Antonio, Houston or DFW. But I usually only run up to Lone Tree to hit Cabelas so I’m never too deep into the center of the city. I do have some apprehension over what I thought hunting and fishing would be like here as opposed to what it actually will be. Every person I talk to has so much negativity about the quality of hunting here with the one common denominator being over crowding. I keep hearing about the sea of orange when deer and elk hunting and also being told that to fish the best streams and rivers only on weekdays because weekends are a nightmare. I’m really trying to maintain an open mind towards it all. It is beautiful here and the weather is awesome. For every one crappy cold snowy day you usually get another 5 slightly warmer and with plenty of sunshine,

Pretty much what I alluded to. You move here from a very crowded place to one not so crowded it seems like paradise, but now since everyone moving here it will be the same as what you left soon if it isn't already.To those of us who were here when it was 50,000 it is like a nightmare

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lived in CO for 5 years and loved it. 2001 - 2006

Yes, traffic was bad and getting worse. I think the I25 corridor from the Springs up to Ft Collins is the second fastest growing area behind the I5 corridor around Seattle. There are also a lot of jobs though.

Denver, Boulder, and the Fort are liberal. No two ways about it. The Springs is getting more so. That said, there are a lot of great areas away from the population centers if a job isn't the first priority.

Loved the area in SW from Pagosa Springs up through Montrose to around Grand Junction and most spots SW of that line.

Also liked a lot of the area North and West of the park and up into Wyoming.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I

Also liked a lot of the area North and West of the park and up into Wyoming.

I hear Montana is real nice.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go to Idaho , I have heard really nice things about their hospitality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas is the place to be.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Native CO here. Front range has gone down hill, becoming the LA of the Rockies. We have all the same groups as LA, the problems of LA etc.

The wife and I were heading out of this hell hole and moving north but got hit with health problems that took all we had to just survive. On top of it all we needed to stay due to both families were going downhill also. I do have three places in this state that are still open that I know about. You still have to deal with a governor from Chicago and liberal politics that do not take into account anyone outside of the front range.

If you want a wilderness experience in hunting it is here but you will work for it. Then again, people complain about the orange during the seasons, but if you know how to work the pilgrims meat can be taken.

We did some traveling a few yeas ago through out the west and saw the same thing happening all over each state with the possibility that WY being the least similarly taken over.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can name you a dozen great places to live in Colorado with little effort. Now if you need a job, that is another story...

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I can name you a dozen great places to live in Colorado with little effort. Now if you need a job, that is another story...

kind of the same thing here.....the SLC valley has all the people............

from Spanish Fork to Logan.......but thats where the jobs are.......

I don't need/want a job.....wife has a State job 12 miles from the farm.....

I open the gate every morning for her....have a nice day honey................ grin

I can always find stuff to do in Podunk......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Colorado is much nicer winter country than Montana.

Hey, if anyone is running away from Minnesota.....I found a snowmobile in Anoka......if you know...anyone is passing through.

Give 'Flave a shout. His in-laws are in Blaine which is pretty close.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,832
Posts18,517,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.