Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I am Handicapped and cannot walk long distances. Does anyone know if Colorado has any areas for Elk Hunting for folks with handicap?
Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They do have special permits for handicapped, bu tI don't know of any special areas. It would be best to call them or email from their "Contact Us"page on their web site

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks. I have not found much on the website, I was hoping someone here had done a hunt in Colorado for people who have limited mobility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My understanding is they are frustrating stingy with mobility licenses. I would call them.

Big Game Mobility-Impaired Hunting License Program
Hunting licenses are available for individuals with a mobility impairment resulting from a permanent medical condition that makes it physically impossible for them to hunt without assistance. Evidence of mobility impairment may include, but is not limited to, prescribed use of a wheelchair, shoulder or arm crutches, walker, two canes, or other prescribed medical device or equipment. See the Mo​​bility-Impaired Hunting License Request Form​ or call 303-291-7380 for more information.​

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks. But it sounds like I am not impaired enough. I have neuropathy and cant walk long distances but do not require a wheelchair or walker. I will figure something out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It sounds like an outfitter might be your best set. I've heard of guides that specialize in helping hunters with limited disabilites. Not sure what your budget is but thought I'd mention it.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
An outfitter is not in my budget, well at least unless I win the lottery...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone with a stubbed toe can get a disability accommodation as long as it "affects their life". It isn't hard, but takes time so you do need to plan for it. You can get a permit to shoot from a vehicle, and a permit that allows someone else to track and dispatch your elk for you. I'm not aware of anyplace set aside just for the handicapped. If you're planning on hunting public lands from the road, you'll also need to be aware of the fact that you can't shoot from a public road, so you'll need to actually get off the road in your vehicle to shoot, which severely limits your ability to hunt legally.

Obviously not all types of hunting are for the handicapped, but it sounds like you can at least walk a little bit. So maybe just a track and dispatch permit is all you'd need to allow a friend to follow up on an elk for you.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Once met a gentleman on a prominent point in Oregon's Steens Mts. Paralyzed from the chest down and strapped into an Argo. Nothing but praise for his determination.

With it's first beginnings here in Oregon, the disability system was heavily abused. Expectations where for hundreds and thousands were issued. I.e. One with a missing pinky joint could exploit it's privileges if it limited his use of the ": and ;" characters on the keyboard. Things have been heavily revised since then.

Here's Oregon's present requirements. I'm aware of no special hunts or grounds.

Oregon's disability link

Link to privileges or exemptions

Last edited by 1minute; 02/25/18.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guided private land hunt via a ranch style truck hunt with short stalks might be your ticket.

Is a cow hunt ok?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks again for the input, my disability is Diabetic neuropathy, mostly in the feet and lower legs, makes walking far exceptionally painful. I have a fried who lives in Leadville CO, who keeps trying to get me to come out for a hunt, I would not care if ti was a cow or bull and am not really a trophy hunter. I will continue to explore the options and may try to set something up in a year or so. I hear you on the people abusing the term disabled. I still work a full time job, just sitting at a desk instead of working in the auto repair shop like I used to.

Last edited by Galaxieman; 03/01/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 70 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.