-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty might over the whole "light" thing. Except my ass...

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I am surprised a scope manufacturer has not offered a scope made from a carbon tube similar to the high quality and expensive baitcasting reels being offered today.

I think Bushnell made a carbon-tubed scope back 20+ years ago. Can’t remember the name, but I seem to remember print ads with a medieval Knight in chain male associated with the scope.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've been playing with a borrowed 2.5-10X32 Nightforce NXS on my Kimber Montana lately. I shot some outstanding groups yesterday after finally settling on a load and learning a correct way to hold the rifle. I had several 5 shot groups at 100 in the .5's to .8's with the load it liked.

I was saving to get the 2.5-10X42 NXS but just bought a used Bushnell LHRS 3-12. Man,it seems like a heavy son of a gun,but I haven't found the 32mm NF bad at all.

I don't know if I'm going overboard or what with such a heavy scope on such a light rifle but I suppose the whole rig should still be fairly light and I'm very tired of inconsistent results,wondering if it's the scope and mounts. Yea,I added a rail and Seekins rings too.

Just wondering how many of you guys have given up on light weight scopes and sort of wondering if anyone is using heavier scopes on Montana's.

Seems like about 20oz is about as light as you can go and count on reliability. That weight covers the Nightforce NXS compact and the SWFA SS fixed powers and 3-9. I have a SS on the wife’s Montana and it seems fine to me. I have the 4.5-18 LRTSi on my heavier rig and of course it is fine there. Nothing lightweight about that rig anyway. I have run the 3-12 LRHS on a medium weight rig (< 9 lbs) and it was right at home there as well.

I don’t go for lightweight rigs much anymore as I have never been able to get the level of precision that I want from them but if I were to do another, I’d put a NXS compact on it, and if I couldn’t stomach the cost, an SWFA.

John

If they made their compacts in FFP, and offered a reticle I really liked, I’d totally agree with you, but as it stands I’ll take the SS 3-9X over any of the NXS compacts I’ve played with.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I am surprised a scope manufacturer has not offered a scope made from a carbon tube similar to the high quality and expensive baitcasting reels being offered today.

I believe Bushnell did that a few years back

Kruger builds them nowKruger Carbon fiber scope

Interesting idea.....not very lightweight though, according to the specs.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've been playing with a borrowed 2.5-10X32 Nightforce NXS on my Kimber Montana lately. I shot some outstanding groups yesterday after finally settling on a load and learning a correct way to hold the rifle. I had several 5 shot groups at 100 in the .5's to .8's with the load it liked.

I was saving to get the 2.5-10X42 NXS but just bought a used Bushnell LHRS 3-12. Man,it seems like a heavy son of a gun,but I haven't found the 32mm NF bad at all.

I don't know if I'm going overboard or what with such a heavy scope on such a light rifle but I suppose the whole rig should still be fairly light and I'm very tired of inconsistent results,wondering if it's the scope and mounts. Yea,I added a rail and Seekins rings too.

Just wondering how many of you guys have given up on light weight scopes and sort of wondering if anyone is using heavier scopes on Montana's.

Seems like about 20oz is about as light as you can go and count on reliability. That weight covers the Nightforce NXS compact and the SWFA SS fixed powers and 3-9. I have a SS on the wife’s Montana and it seems fine to me. I have the 4.5-18 LRTSi on my heavier rig and of course it is fine there. Nothing lightweight about that rig anyway. I have run the 3-12 LRHS on a medium weight rig (< 9 lbs) and it was right at home there as well.

I don’t go for lightweight rigs much anymore as I have never been able to get the level of precision that I want from them but if I were to do another, I’d put a NXS compact on it, and if I couldn’t stomach the cost, an SWFA.

John

If they made their compacts in FFP, and offered a reticle I really liked, I’d totally agree with you, but as it stands I’ll take the SS 3-9X over any of the NXS compacts I’ve played with.

I can live with first or second focal plane, the reticle is my dislike with the NXS. If the IHR had solid bars rather than hollow it would meet my needs better in thick cover and take nothing away from the precision at longer ranges.

The NX8 1-8x24 might be interesting for a lightweight at 17oz, but I'm guessing the view is pretty "tight" at upper powers with the small obj. The illumination has been changed to make it daylight visible....if I knew it would go as low as the NXS illumination at last light (which is excellent) I'd probably grab one but don't want to spend the $ and end up with a washed out image in low light.

I need to pick up a SS 3-9 as several have mentioned they have a bolder reticle than the 6x. All I've used are 6x and 10x.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

John

I can live with first or second focal plane, the reticle is my dislike with the NXS. If the IHR had solid bars rather than hollow it would meet my needs better in thick cover and take nothing away from the precision at longer ranges.

The NX8 1-8x24 might be interesting for a lightweight at 17oz, but I'm guessing the view is pretty "tight" at upper powers with the small obj. The illumination has been changed to make it daylight visible....if I knew it would go as low as the NXS illumination at last light (which is excellent) I'd probably grab one but don't want to spend the $ and end up with a washed out image in low light.

I need to pick up a SS 3-9 as several have mentioned they have a bolder reticle than the 6x. All I've used are 6x and 10x.

To me the SS 3-9 reticle is the same at 6X. The advantage is that if you need a bolder reticle you can increase magnification.

I really wish Nightforce would have given the NX8 a 32mm objective and low light illumination. It would have been a near perfect hunting scope.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

John

To me the SS 3-9 reticle is the same at 6X. The advantage is that if you need a bolder reticle you can increase magnification.

I really wish Nightforce would have given the NX8 a 32mm objective and low light illumination. It would have been a near perfect hunting scope.

I agree on the 32mm obj. Everything is a trade off...it would have gained a little weight. I'm guessing the NX8 was just their first model in that line. The next may have a bigger obj.

Regardless of what they release, I'd prefer they make a true hunting reticle in it, like their Forceplex with center illumination (like in the Nightforce SHV 4-14x56) or a reticle heavy enough not to need illumination, in a 2.5-10 NXS or 3-10 SHV.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
No - no scopes over 12 ozs and if I’m going more reliable I’m using open sights.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One lightweight that seems to be reliable is the one-inch Trijicon. No complaints about those yet, that I've seen anyway. That said, the 30mm 2.5-12.5 is the one that's got me itching, and that's pretty beefy.

Some seem to satisfied with the Burris FFs too, for set and forget, anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
many are turning in their 10# hunting rifles for 5#'s

I did, bought Barrett 6.5 Creedmoor Field craft just replaced the Z3 with a Z6 5-30X50 LOVE IT

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

John

The 3-9 subtension is greater than the 10x and equal to the 6x, but by increasing the mag beynd 6x you can make it appear larger, as you pointed out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I set these up for optics piece of mind.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
which piece?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The hole finger or the one next to it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the hole finger, of course......grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’m a set and forget person so I really don’t mind imprecise adjustments too much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’m a set and forget person so I really don’t mind imprecise adjustments too much.

Same here. The old friction adjustment Leupold M8 4X scopes are a pain in the rear to get zeroed in, but seem to stay there indefinitely once you get there.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you go with an SS, you can end up dropping $1200- $2k for a lightweight rifle so the total weight with the $1000-$3k reliable scope isn't over the top. Looks like, once again, money is the answer.

In the opposite direction, yesterday, I mounted a Hawke 8x56 on my Ruger 1V; a 22oz scope on a 8.5lb rifle. Don't think I'm climbing any mountains with that rig. Seems like it weighs a lot more than 10lbs to me!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.