Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I’m sure this has been tackled before but have been trying some new things with the moose and deer meat I got from this fall- so I was wondering how you guys and girls like to make your venison! I usually cook simple steaks with some marinades or roasts, but wanted something different one day so I tried this recipe: https://honest-food.net/venison-sauce-piquante-recipe/

It’s amazing! Takes some time and isn’t the easiest but it’s not the hardest either. Well worth it too! So let’s hear everyone else’s favorite venison recipe!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda like Gumbo with tomato's in it and I love Gumbo so I'd eat it..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Chicken fried

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chicken fried is high on the list but simple seasoning with a reverse sear is pretty hard to beat.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

my absolute fave is steaks seasoned w/ S&P, garlic. Then pan fried in butter in a CI pan, hot and fast.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

my absolute fave is steaks seasoned w/ S&P, garlic. Then pan fried in butter in a CI pan, hot and fast.

Yep......I like to dust em with a little flour first.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Venison Stroganoff over egg noodles
Venison green chili stew but it has been too warm to make it.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
Venison green chili stew but it has been too warm to make it.

What I call Colorado Chile Verde over rice and warm corn tortilla. Maybe some homemade pickled carrots and onions.

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I canned a bunch of odds and ends pieces that we would normally grind for burger this year. I take a pint of canned meat and put it in a skillet with the broth and a couple slabs of butter, add carrots, celery, onion, and mushrooms. Season with S&P and let it simmer just until the carrots start to soften. Add a double handful of egg noodles and a can of beef broth and put a lid on it. As soon as the noodles soften it’s done. Takes all of 15 minutes start to finish and it’s good stuff. Been eating that alot this winter.

My favorite is a thick cut chunk of backstrap seared in a red hot iron skillet served rare. One twist of the pepper mill on the already seared side followed by a pinch of salt and topped with a thin slice of real butter when you slide it onto the plate.

Mom used to always take a round steak and cube it up. Shake the cubes in flour and brown. Take them out of the pan and add a can of cream of mushroom and some milk. When that’s well mixed and hot add the meat back in and let it simmer while you make rice. Serve over rice with biscuits or toast on the side. I used to eat two plates of that until all the meat and rice was gone and then burn up another half a loaf of bread on whatever gravy was left.

Aside from one year that we didn’t shoot anything but a couple bears I haven’t ever bought beef. I absolutely love venison, whitetail, mulie, blacktails, caribou, or moose, it’s all good and we prefer it to beef for regular consumption. I love a good beef steak and a beer but for day in day out eating we eat venison.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I split a deer with a retired buddy who helped me drag it out and butcher/wrap it. He called me over to his place for Asian-marinated BBQ flank steak one night, and it was so good we sat there and ate almost 2 lbs of it. Couldn't stop. Had a good laugh about it, too.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Made into ring bologna.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Made into ring bologna.

Do you make it yourself? I can’t say I’ve ever run into anyone who’s made bologna out of venison before. Interesting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, I don't - Kramer Sausage Co. La Porte City, IA

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I make my own “bologna” with venison, but it’s of the summer sausage variety. Usually just slice it down and eat it by itself, sometimes with cheese and crackers, there’s no doubt in my mind that it would make a good sammich! Might try that next week now that I think about it lol!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Venison Orsini

Got this from a friend. Very good and easy to make in camp...

"This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1± pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 ± of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy "

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

^^^^^^^^^^

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like bologna and jerky, but beef is easily available for those, my deer meat supply is limited.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/25/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of butter and don't over cook.

Yum...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I generally prefer chicken fried, but also grill a lot of loin chunks whole. Sometimes marinate in Dales Seasoning for a short while, and grill to medium rare. I also make stew with the pieces that most use in burger of sausage. I do make some sausage but not a lot. I also prefer venison jerky to beef. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like simple.

i'll take tenderized steaks, marinade in italian dressing / moores for a few hours. THen season with Tony's and place a jalepeno on each steak ( 2"x2" or so) and wrap in bacon.

Grill

great for a meal or just appetizers

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (160user, 219DW, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.