Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Gosh, I'd give anything for fresh fish. I've got 600+ pounds of red meat in fridge but I miss fresh fish badly....

Jealous here buddy!

Makes two of us...though, I can catch stocked trout.

GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Gosh, I'd give anything for fresh fish. I've got 600+ pounds of red meat in fridge but I miss fresh fish badly....

Jealous here buddy!

We can work on that! Early June 2019 will be a Campfire trip. I won't make a dime. Four spots available.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin

Jealous here buddy!

We can work on that! Early June 2019 will be a Campfire trip. I won't make a dime. Four spots available.

That should be worth the price of admission and a whole lot more!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Jealous here buddy!

Whoever gets chosen for this trip will not be disappointed. Joel is one of if not the best fisherman/charter out of Craig and early June is my favorite time to fish here!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Jealous here buddy!

Calvin what’s the details on that^ or is it a secret handshake gig?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
No secret handshake. No strings attached. As long as you get along with folks (this is a huge one as there will be four individuals), love to fish and hunt, can have a good time without getting sloppy drunk, and aren't coming here to kick someones ass, you are in. I don't even care if we've gotten into it on the 'fire before. First come first serve if you are a contributing member of the hunting/fishing portion of the campfire. If I fill up, then you go on a waiting list should someone back out or for 2020 and beyond. I have June 1-3 blocked out. You arrive the day before, leave the day after. There will be no compensation at all, but you will be responsible for paying for your share of the lodging (split four ways) and whatever food you get. There will also be no gratuities as it will not be an official charter. (lets us play by a different set of rules) Dinners you are on your own.

It will be three 10 hour fishing days both on inside and outside waters. Kings, Halibut, Lingcod, and Yellow Eye. It will be a shakedown group, as I will be getting in guide mode so there will be a lot of fishing and looking. I run a series of spots on the outer coast and use these days to know what is where. Also do a fair amount of halibut prospecting too. After fishing, helping vacuum pack fish (and fillet if you can do a good job) will let you take a bunch of fish home.

PM for more details or say "I'm in". I'm saving a spot for Greg as he really needs fish. KK really wants to come too I think.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I need to stock up on Mayo and Sour Cream. grin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell of a deal.....Joel I can do 2 of the same but I can put them up myself. The wind can really corn us here though.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And its harder to get here, I am at Port Armstrong. Lots of good yelloweye fishing and we can probably find a butt. If its coho season I know how to troll for them. Limited out a lot of days

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
After three attempts, I mastered Halibut Olympia.

Preheat 375

Melt butter in bottom of pyrex dish. Put in lots of onions. Cut fresh halibut in 3/4-1" strips. Pat as dry as you can. Put two strips of hali on onions. Salt & Pepper

Cover with a 50-50 mix of Mayo and Sour Creme.

Bake 20 minutes. Pull out, put on lots of grated cheddar cheese. Bake 3 more minutes.

It's really good. My first two attempts I didn't pat dry and cut my pieces too thick resulting in too much halibut and not enough goop.

Tomorrow I will try mixing some hot sauce in the the mayo/sour cream mixture. I've got a good hunk of halibut in fridge I am working on.

I did some guessing at the missing data and took the advice provided by Calvin....it's spectacular!!!!!

Here is what I did

preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
melt 4 tablespoons butter in 2 1/2 quart baking dish

Finely slice (1/16" thick) one medium sweet onion and bisect to not have rings but 1/4 circles and add to melted butter

Cut fish (one pound of Halibut in this case) to strips approximately 1/2" X 1/2" by the length of the fillet but not longer than the baking dish.....use this fish to cover the onion.

NOTE: The fish to be thoroughly patted dry with paper towels....I destroyed a dozen paper towel sheets doing this.....dry is good in this case

Mix 2/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp dill seed, 1 tsp dill weed and 1/2 tsp black pepper fine grind....add to the baking dish thoroughly covering the fish.

Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees uncovered

remove from the oven and add 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese and bake another three minutes.

It's now dinner time.....if you don't like this see a doctor as there's something radically wrong with your taste buds.

I tried this same recipe (less the lemon) but used boneless chicken breast instead of fish.....let me tell you something....it's a helluva good reason to shoot a chicken.....for you Alaskans you might try substituting Ptarmigan.....

I did precook the chicken 1/2 hour at 375 deg prior to baking the balance of 1/2 hour in the mayo-cream sause....find a chicken and do it in....it's worth your time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Early June 2019 will be a Campfire trip. I won't make a dime. Four spots available.

You da Man Joel!

Do guys have to clean and fillet their own catch? (Like that will be a deal breaker wink ) Rockfish can be a beeotch.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
All full for 2019. Good crew. I can cut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been known to run a fillet knife as well. I'll be packing a couple of my favorite blades along.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Favorite halibut knife? I want to cut my Halibut fillet time in half this year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think Rick Bin has footage of Dan running through a stack of 'but. It would give you something to strive for in both speed and quality, consistent cuts. He is literally awesome and I have seen more than a few tons of halibut cut...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a heck of a deal. WOW... Some people are going to have a great time.

I've fished out of Hoonah, and if was great.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I think Rick Bin has footage of Dan running through a stack of 'but. It would give you something to strive for in both speed and quality, consistent cuts. He is literally awesome and I have seen more than a few tons of halibut cut...

I remember watching Dan unzip 'em whilst Chris dropped guts down the front of his bibs!

Unfazed, he was.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You must have been hammered, cause there is no way that happened!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
You must have been hammered, cause there is no way that happened!

No No! He meant you were dropping them down the front of your own bibs! Of course you would not go near the epee!
Sheeesh...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've seen Dan in action also and would have the agree!

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 25aught6, 34 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.