Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you getting good accuracy with this system, or do they need some bedding at the recoil lugs?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always bed the recoil lugs on mine.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Recoil lug and the tang on mine.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Are you getting good accuracy with this system, or do they need some bedding at the recoil lugs?

Aluminum bedding blocks= the answer to the question no one should be asking...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't bed mine and get great accuracy.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have used HS Precision stocks unaltered with great accuracy when shooting.Yes they work.

Last edited by Huntz; 02/24/18.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a B&C on my 257 Weatherby, the smith that built the rifle said it fit so well that bedding would not be necessary. My first group was a 6 shotter at 100 yards covered by a nickel.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I gone both ways and had good luck. No bedding on a Remington Sendero with an HS stock, and lug and skim bed on a B&C..or two....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
A
Just bedded 2 H-S stocks this past week . One on a Model 70 SA & one on a Rem 700 LA . Rem stock had a lot more slop than the Win one . Bedded tang , lug & first inch , inch & half fwd of lug on both . Have yet to even see a B&C Medalist let alone have one in my hands .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I used a Whidden bedding block on a Savage target action, it works well but I needed to bed the recoil lug as well to control torquing.
Keep the action screws tight, there seems to be no middle ground in mine, they are tight or loose.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys,
I have ordered a M700 5R Milspec and comes with the HS Precision stock with bedding block. It will be my first, so it sounds like bed the lug and tang if there is any space.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They usually work fine as is. But a skim bedding will make it so you can use them as a take down rifle with very little change in point of aim.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I generally follow Jim Carmichel's old rule: Shoot the rifle and if it's accurate, don't mess with it.

Have seen too many examples of bedding-stocked rifles shooting extremely well to make unnecessary workf or myself. The last was a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Loaded up some rounds with 41.5 H4350 and 140-grain Berger VLD's, and after getting one shot on paper at 100 yards, I shot four more. The 5-shot group measured .33". Maybe the rifle would have shot a little tighter after "skim bedding," but I doubt it.

Charlie Sisk did extensive testing when he developed his aluminum chassis STAR stock for 700 and 700-clone actions, where the action portion of the stock is essentially one big bedding block. He never found any difference in accuracy between just screwing the barreled action into the stock, and skim-bedding the action, and he did the test-shooting on his indoor range.

On the other hand, most rifle loonies feel compelled to dink around with their rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
About 20-25 years ago an old gunmaker by the name of Sam Lair in Jenks, Okla was doing a 700. After reaming the raceway and cutting the face of the receiver, lug abbutments, and s cleanup on the threads, he took it out of the lathe. He put a snug fitting arbor in the raceways and mounted it in a OD cylindrical grinder. What he showed was the tang was about .010 lower than the centerline of the bore and the frt. ring was .012" lower. After cleaning it up, it was ready for bedding.
To me that indicated that this particular receiver would benefit from bedding. I also have a Whidden bedding block and it will get a skim bed if I use a factory receiver. A custom receiver wouldn't need it.

Sam Lair was the builder of the Hyper Single falling block custom rifle. Gripest old fool I ever met, but he was as good or better than any that I met.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/25/18.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I agree with this. I have found with two different custom actions, they shot no differently whether I had them in a fully bedded stock, a bedding block stock or a chassis.

Beautiful falling block. Is he still in business?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
I gone both ways and had good luck....

OHH Boy....

eek laugh
Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sam passed away a few years ago. Mike Bryant had a bucket full of unfinished receivers a few years ago. I had one and gave it to a friend in Kalif.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Butch, do you know if one of those actions would work with a rimmed cartridge such as a .45-70?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Butch, do you know if one of those actions would work with a rimmed cartridge such as a .45-70?

Ed

Ed, I don't know why not if it had the proper extractor.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Butch:

Your comment on comparing a standard 700 to a custom action. You are paying for it to be better, but I wonder how many are? I have never had a good custom action and the facilities to check one out.

If someone has one or more customs perhaps they could check them out and let us know their findings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.