-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
I am planning on an AR purchase soon. Never owned one, but have shot a friend's Bushmaster. A local shop has a few Bushmasters, usually a few (currently sold out) RockRiver, and Stag. I have read good things about the Rock River, and only ads for the Stag. What are the opinions of these brands...good/bad/ anticipated price range for typical configurations...what do I look for? One I am looking at is a new gunshop built Stag lower/Rock River upper, collapsible stock, 16", removeable carry handle, nothing unusual that I know of ($975)....opinions?? I like the looks of the longer heavy barrel and flat top, but I also would like to go ahead and get configuaration that will likely be banned (or restricted at a minimum) given the current political situation. Although I also like the heavier caliber of the .308 in the AR10...opinions? Thanks and looking forward to being educated.

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As for Stag, they make a pretty good product, I could do without the deer head but that's just me. They do use a mil spec sized tube on their collaspable stock so changing to a VLTOR,MAGPUL or SOPMOD stock is no problem. Not so with Bushmaster or RRA just in case you're interested in that option. You will probably want to change out the trigger eventualy as most all stock triggers are not that great but other than that nothing comes to mind on the stag lower.

The RRA uppers are "known" to be pretty accurate and mostly trouble free. I would reccomend properly staking the screws on the bolt carrier/gas key and changing out the extractor spring with a Crane upgrade that includes a special o-ring and the proper "black" insert that the carbine gas system needs.

The price is a little high to me especialy for a "put together" gun.

The AR-10 option did not impress me after using one. Too heavy and too finiky with their gas system and pressures. Some companies have moved the gas port further forward and improved the reliability of the gun but it's still too heavy, if you want a 308 get a bolt gun or an M1A.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions but these are mine.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fair answer, price a bit high I agree.

Trigger will be on the list and possible float the barrel tube.

AR10s were usually big and clunky compared. The gas system on them can be worked out and they are coming down in price.

Really depends on what you want it for,but AR15s would be a better choice.

As mentioned on the 308 issues, a good M1A is really hard to beat.

Brands, you haven't hit on a bad one...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.