Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A while back I toyed with the idea of getting a Winchester 71. Even made a few bids on Gunbroker.

But they are expensive, kick hard, and the ammo is not cheap. So I switched my focus and got a couple of revolvers. For me at this time I made the right choice.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 02/24/18.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always enjoyed shooting my 71. It really didn't kick that hard either...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They do kick; and both the gun and the ammo are expensive, but it’s all worth it in my opinion. Every time I squeeze the trigger on my 71(s) it makes me smile!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have owned several 71's. They are in a class by themselves. The recoil is subjective to me as the cartridge was designed and intended for a specific purpose. Comparing rifles to revolvers....you lost me.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I should add that topic title of a Winchester 21 had me thinking about side by sides at first glance.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good for you. But as someone that admires classic Winchesters, you're missing out on one of the finest. Doubt it kicks any harder than your 21........

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I feel the same. Mine sits in the safe room right now just itching to blow a golf ball sized hole into a deer, or an elk, or a moose....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Buy a Browning M71. Fit and finish is better and it will very likely be more accurate. They sell for a lot less than even a beater Winchester and are a great answer to meeting the need for a quality M71.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woods_walker
I should add that topic title of a Winchester 21 had me thinking about side by sides at first glance.

I meant 71 in the title

I am very happy I got my 21

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by EdM
Buy a Browning M71. Fit and finish is better and it will very likely be more accurate. They sell for a lot less than even a beater Winchester and are a great answer to meeting the need for a quality M71.

Great advice. Had a standard grade Browning and it met that exact criteria.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Originally Posted by EdM

Great advice. Had a standard grade Browning and it met that exact criteria.

Not to argue the Browning M71 isn't a quality built rifle, but if you collect Winchesters or other classic firearms as the OP obviously does, an imported reproduction doesn't fill a void in said collection.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
tmitch,

It was not my intent to infer the Browning would be suitable as a replacement for a Winchester in his collection, rather it is another means to enjoy the Model 71 platform.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I enjoyed my M71 while I had it. I didn't care for the recoil when fired with factory-level loads, but then again I dislike being pounded by any gun- it decreases the fun factor when spending a day at the range with it. But that's just me, and precisely why god gave us RCBS- lower velocity handloads made it downright enjoyable, with the capability of opening the throttle should occasion demand it. What prompted my disposal of the rifle was it weighed more than I care to lug around the deer woods and I had no inclination to travel to elk/bear hunt with it. In short, I had no practical reason to justify my owning it, and since I don't really "collect" anything away it went. I kind of wish I had kept it, but nor have I lost any sleep over it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was hot and heavy to purchase/ trade one at the gun show I attended!

Until my table helping partner said the following.

" I hunted with a 71 for a few years. You couldn't pay me enough to carry one now during hunting season."

I traded a model 94 flatband 30 30 for a 1895 pre safety Marlin in 45/70 instead!

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/28/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I enjoyed my M71 while I had it. I didn't care for the recoil when fired with factory-level loads, but then again I dislike being pounded by any gun- it decreases the fun factor when spending a day at the range with it. But that's just me, and precisely why god gave us RCBS- lower velocity handloads made it downright enjoyable, with the capability of opening the throttle should occasion demand it. What prompted my disposal of the rifle was it weighed more than I care to lug around the deer woods and I had no inclination to travel to elk/bear hunt with it. In short, I had no practical reason to justify my owning it, and since I don't really "collect" anything away it went. I kind of wish I had kept it, but nor have I lost any sleep over it.

“why god gave us RCBS” love that...we handload because we like the independence of doing it the way we want, yet most folks never bother to load down, just never understood it. In the process of turning my 270 (which is a laser of death with RL26) into a 7mm-08 for woods whitetails and the savor of my hearing. Of course it wont be exactly like a 7mm-08, the bullet will be .007 smaller, which I hope the deer wont notice and then question my manhood.

As far as the 71, just a classic, will own one someday.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Hell no it doesn't, even with 250 gr Barnes' at 2350, it's an accurate, hard shooting, hard killing, cool ol sombitch, and Thanks for selling it to me Friend! smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Im glad it went to such a great person. Im honored to be considered your friend. I know you are taking good care of that old 375 as well
Now that rifle kicks much harder than the m71. I still think that 71 is a puzzy cat to shoot... i guess its all subjective though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Im glad it went to such a great person. Im honored to be considered your friend. I know you are taking good care of that old 375 as well
Now that rifle kicks much harder than the m71. I still think that 71 is a puzzy cat to shoot... i guess its all subjective though..

Damn right to all three Buddy, and yessir, maybe I should send my 8 Bore and some 850 gr round balls with instructions to dump 400 grains of blackpowder down the bore and fire, at that time these gents will have a full, complete and accurate understanding of recoil! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree........

Why would a forum of alleged rifleman be so transfixed with the evils of recoil?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a low 4 digit Deluxe in about 95% condition, that just screams Winchester! If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,528
Posts18,530,767
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.