Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Buddy needed to zero a new scope and upper yesterday so we decided to go to the range. I grabbed by 376 Steyr just to bang out a few rounds.
I have 2 stocks, a camo one and a black one. After deer season I switched over to the black one but didn't move over the 3 spacer pad about an inch o spacer.
First round...a 270 gr @ 2500+ and bang!
Caught one on the nose and eye.
Yowza!
It's been 2 decades since I did that!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The next time will be the first. Never really shot any big bangers tho. .300 win mag has been about my limit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1997 Barometer Mountain Kodiak AK. The boat paddle stock Ruger M77 30-06 laid across an alder limb for support. The shooter relaxed as possible with a trophy blacktail in the crosshairs. The rifle bucked at the squeeze of the trigger and the Weaver 3-9x38 scope dug deeply into my brow. Blood began running into my eye as I racked the bolt for another shot.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a 333 OKH belted get me about ten years ago.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've seen others do it but I never have. Was taught to keep the butt of the stock pulled tight into the shoulder pocket and cheek glued to the stock.
Do that and everything moves the at the same time.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happened to me this past deer season. We had torrential rain for 36hrs straight, and in the following mud I got my truck stuck twice. We saw only 2 deer the entire hunt, and both running hard. As I was parking the truck, a good sized buck broke cover and ran from the woods past my truck heading for another property. I had only seconds. Parked. Grabbed my rifle case and popped the latches, grabbed my AR-15 .450BUSHMASTER and slipped off the scope covers. Lined up and let fly with one shot, and promptly lost all interest in that deer. The scope split my brow to the bone and was bleeding good. I had forgotten to extend the rear stock.
I had a tube of super glue in my gear, and after cleaning it up, glued it back together. Actually healed up very well.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took an awkward shot at a blacktail buck with my TC Encore in 405 winchester. Buck died my face bleed pretty good, my friends property manager said I bleed more than the buck.. This rifle shoots 5 shots into less than a inch and supprised me for an old cowboy round. Beast on pigs with 300 grain bullets.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It happened to me this year for the 1st time in 50 yrs. of shooting. I bought a CVA in a 35 Whelen last Summer and shot it before season as it is legal in LA for a primitive weapon. Got it sighted in but didn't get to hunt the 1st week of Primitive. I wanted to hunt the last week of primitive, so I checked to make sure it was still on. This is the only gun I ever remember shooting that the muzzle rears up instead of pushing back against the shoulder. It only cut me perhaps a 1/4 inch. However, I'm on blood thinners for my heart and it probably took 45 mins. or so to completely stop the bleeding. Not sure if I will put the rifle up for sale or not. I've never been recoil sensitive, but I just do not like the way this rifle rears up and am thinking about putting a pistol scope on it to see if that will work.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As a Deputy in Texas we spent some time at the hospital to have someone we had to use force on to arrest checked out for any injuries. We also took EDPs in and to get a physician and mental health professional to evaluate the EDP. During one visit out of many a surgeon just happened to be the Doc on call and he overheard one of the other Deputies mention he took two aspirins every day. The surgeon called all of us over and told us if any of us were taking aspirin or another blood thinner we had better pray extra hard not to get shot. Well, it kinda went without saying that we didn't want to be shot anymore than anyone else. But, his point was if we were taking a blood thinning medication if we were shot in the torso we would most likely bleed to death even if we were shot in the hospital parking lot. He said bullets cause a lot of massive trauma, and no matter what they could do, most likely a person taking the blood thinners would bleed out on the OR table. The guy taking blood thinners didn't need to, and in fact stopped that practice that day.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never had it happen to me, saw a guy get scope eye at the range from a 300 Weatherby mag. I really felt bad for the guy there were some guys thinking it was funny.. I can't see any humor in a person getting hurt.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Never though I was gently touched by a Ruger #1 45-70.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After 35 years of shooting I still dont have my scar but once I did hear a tick on my glasses. Knock'in on wood.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
Buddy needed to zero a new scope and upper yesterday so we decided to go to the range. I grabbed by 376 Steyr just to bang out a few rounds.
I have 2 stocks, a camo one and a black one. After deer season I switched over to the black one but didn't move over the 3 spacer pad about an inch o spacer.
First round...a 270 gr @ 2500+ and bang!
Caught one on the nose and eye.
Yowza!
It's been 2 decades since I did that!

My last one was probably 20 years ago too. It was a borrowed inline muzzleloader. I was laying prone and knew my cousin's gun had too short a length of pull for me and the scope was too close. I thought I could keep my face far enough away. At the sound of the shot, all I could see was smoke through my tears. OMG my nose was killing me. It was a few minutes before I could see well enough in the fading light that I noticed the deer had dropped too. As I was walking over I could feel something wet on my face, as I wiped at it I could see it was blood. I walked back to my uncle's house to collect myself. As I entered the door the look on his face told me how bad it looked. I didn't have to get get stiches, but it looked awful. I have not made the same mistake twice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does it count when the scope tags my hat brim? Must be near on 50 years since I've been seriously tagged. Watched my hunting partner crawl up on his 300 Ultra Mag in prone and do some serious bleeding.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
about 10 years ago....I'm past due...doctor says I should schedule one......but just the thought of drinking that slime and having the doctor sticking that scope.....

gunut
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think since I went off topic I should apologize to OP. I can contribute to the content. I was shooting a Weatherby 33-378 off the bench to sight it in. I hadn't sighted in anything that big from the bench before. I wasn't holding it tight, and when I pulled the trigger I thought someone had hit me right above my eye with a piece of rebar. Almost immediately blood started running into my eye and dripping down my face. The scope I was using didn't have a rubber piece on the ocular, it was metal and a knife couldn't have cut me any better. I do get a very firm grip now when I sight in rifles from the bench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have hit the brim of my cap several times but not my forehead or glasses. I live in a shotgun only zone and those 12ga slugs can be brutal off the bench. I did bite the side of my tongue while shooting an awkward angle (shooting with head gun aimed way left) at a deer with a slug gun. Wasn't until I was standing over the deer and blood dripped down that I realized what I had done...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Several years ago, one of the rare times I have rifle hunted from a tree stand a deer came from an angle where only a left handed shot was possible (I am right handed and very right eye dominant). I took the shot as I have practiced a fair bit shooting from from my left, although never with my .325 WSM or twisted around in a tree stand. At the shot I heard two cracks, the bullet hitting the deer and the scope hitting the bridge of my nose.

It hurt a bit, did't bleed too much as it was cold enough that the blood froze pretty fast so that seemed to help the clotting. I had a doctor's appointment a few days after, her first comment to me was "how did you break your nose?".

Tapped a few times on the brim of a hat but the above is the only time I have been "kissed".

GRF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A few years ago I bought a used M70 FWT. It felt short to me but I chalked it up to the fact that my other rifles have custom stocks with 14 1/2 LOP. Was riding around the ranch and saw a coyote and decided to end his troubles. WHAM! the scope came back and smacked me. This had never happened to me before in 50+ years of shooting. Measured the stock the next day, it had been cut down to 12 1/2 LOP! I added some length to it. Next time I'll measure before I buy.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 02/26/18.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (219DW, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.