Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking to work up some new loads for my 270, maybe to take out west next fall, but definitely for use on eastern whitetails this fall. For general deer hunting, do you prefer bullets like the Barnes TTSX/ Nosler AccuBond, or more violent expanders like the Hornady SST/ Nosler Ballistic tip? I have some 130gr BTs on their way here, and this past season I used SSTs and Interlocks. Quick kills, but a lot of meat damage. What say ye on the topic?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
TTSX light for caliber,Ballistic tip heavy for caliber,or Partition. Not too much for frag bullets. I've seen the posts and read the debates. Just not my cup of tea. I load SSTs for a friend of mine. Some nasty wound channels. He loves them.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I generally like to take the middle ground and stick to stuff like Core-Lokts, Power Points and interlocks. They've always worked good for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nosler partitions expand and penetrate reliably, and have been doing so for 65 years. Every bullet maker wishes to have a bullet emulate it, but very few do.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. One of the few sure bets in life is a Nosler Partition...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The best bet I've seen is Barnes... I quit running partitions since I have shot so many barnes.

Generally speaking I find them more accurate and more consistently reliable. But if they were no longer made I'd go back to the partitions.

And for something like a TTSX and a Partition you get both... expanding and penetrating.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Partition, Accubond, Barnes, or the Trophy tipped Bear Claws. Any will work great.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Keep it simple.

If Partitions will shoot good groups with your rifle go with them and worry about other things.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used lots of cup and core big game bullets, like Hornady, Sierra, as well as Cor-Loks on deer, as well as the Barnes TSX and the Nosler Partition. All of them expand plenty fast enough for quick kills. The TSX works even better if driven fast(er). I use the premiums for deer because they hold together better, or so it seems when shooting through cover. They may tumble or lose some of their penetrating ability, but they do seem to make more effective wounds than the C&C bullets which can lose their cores. I admit this isn't solid research material, but it's the best I've been able to determine. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on caliber, but for 243/6mm I use 87gr VLDs. Like lightening struck em. Everything else is cup and core. Just ordered some partitions which I never used before, but imagine theyll be like cup and core. Most of my shots are under 300, with the majority under 80. Its thick most places I hunt.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I generally like to take the middle ground and stick to stuff like Core-Lokts, Power Points and interlocks. They've always worked good for me.

This

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pahick
Depends on caliber, but for 243/6mm I use 87gr VLDs. Like lightening struck em. Everything else is cup and core. Just ordered some partitions which I never used before, but imagine theyll be like cup and core. Most of my shots are under 300, with the majority under 80. Its thick most places I hunt.

VLD is not cup and core?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use to use Partitions almost exclusively on game until I tried a Barnes TSX. Then I tried the Barnes TTSX. It kills like lightning and always penetrates all the way through, regardless of angle or what gets in the way.

Now, for hunting I pretty much just use Nosler Ballistic Tips and Barnes TTSX. I like the BTs for their higher BC and I shoot them for open-country, smaller game like mule deer and pronghorn. I use the TTSX for elk, for deer in the woods and for combo hunts.

I have not killed anything with a Barnes LRX but I am thinking it may be the very best "one bullet for everything" answer out there. I am going to be trying them out later this year in Washington for deer, in Colorado for mule deer and elk and in Montana for elk, all out of my 6.5 Creedmoor.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had mixed success with the TSX. Went to New Zealand and shot 36 big game animals with the 25 caliber 100 gr TSX and experienced poor performance in that the bullets passed through leaving small exit holes. My experience with the 7mm 140 gr X, TSX, and TTSX have been far more positive. What I found on close examination of the 25 verse 7 mm bullets was the diameter of the 7 mm hollow point was much larger.

I understand the small exit hole with the 25 caliber can not be viewed as a failure; I see it as more as non-optimal performance. I view optimal terminal bullet performance to be delivering the largest wound channel and exiting.

I have never found a rifle that shoots Partitions exceptionally well. In my experience I find them to be one of the least accurate bullets. I used Partitions for many years before moving west where the shooting distances tend to be much longer and where accuracy needs are higher.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm too old to chase elk, and premium bullets are not needed for deer and hogs I hunt now. I am changing over to Sierra bullets (one of the GameKings or Pro Hunters) depending on which shoots best in a particular rifle. I'm reloading for a 3rd rifle now and I'm getting the best and most consistent groups I've ever gotten with any bullet with the exception of a Barnes TTSX in one rifle. I've gone heavier for caliber in my 358 Win and 25-06 and will soon be trying 160 grain Sierra's in a 7mm-08. I've not used Sierra's on large game yet, but they are just used by too many hunters to not have decent performance on game. Like any bullet, they may not perform 100% of the time, but I'm not too concerned.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

VLD is not cup and core?

Sure, but much more violent expansion, as in cant find schit...lol. So I separate to 2.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

VLD is not cup and core?

Sure, but much more violent expansion, as in cant find schit...lol. So I separate to 2.

Have you noticed the "going in a couple of inches before blowing up" VLD phenomenon? It works quite well for the 168 grain version at 308 Winchester speed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
really depends on size of deer and or sex ,example northern Minnesota or Canada many adult bucks weigh 250 lbs. sometimes more you would want Nosler partition,Swift a-frame or a barnes x bullet,small deer anything should work out of your 270 win.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

VLD is not cup and core?

Have you noticed the "going in a couple of inches before blowing up" VLD phenomenon? It works quite well for the 168 grain version at 308 Winchester speed.

Sometimes. I shoot shoulders hence the not much left. Only 2 times did I see a bone with a pencil hole, the rest a total wreck. Bang flop, never an exit. 12 deer so maybe not that great a comparison, but thats what ive been seein. 87gr is light and moving fast in 243, plus the distance is rarely over 100.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter6
TTSX light for caliber,Ballistic tip heavy for caliber,or Partition. Not too much for frag bullets. I've seen the posts and read the debates. Just not my cup of tea. I load SSTs for a friend of mine. Some nasty wound channels. He loves them.

I agree with this. I want tougher bullets when speeds climb up north of 3,000fps and am fine with cup/core bullets when they are a bit heavy for caliber and going slower.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.