Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You mean to tell me a gunsmith, a world renowned gunsmith didn't make his delivery date?!?? No way!
I think the only one that EVER delivered when he told me was Dave @ IT&D. At least you'll get something to be proud of when it does come.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gene270
gotta love the fire.....people saying what Melvin should and shoudnt do and how he should run his business,
he must be doing something right

I don't see anybody here saying what MF should or shouldn't do.
Its more about what any reasonable business owner could choose to do of his own fruition
without much trouble or effort.

Yet I do see some people telling RBO what to do, but which drew no comment from you.
clearly you have a personal bias.

And doing 'something right'; doesn't necessarily mean a business is doing everything right.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You mean to tell me a gunsmith, a world renowned gunsmith didn't make his delivery date?!?? No way!
I think the only one that EVER delivered when he told me was Dave @ IT&D. At least you'll get something to be proud of when it does come.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Melvin has been making Ultra Light rifles since 1985, long enough that several of his regular employees retired within the past few years--while Melvin keeps going. He's had trouble replacing those employees, like just about any gunsmith in the business, and a new employee who can't/won't do the job means more time spent on each rifle. This is because Melvin wants them done right, so ends up doing it himself.

For over 30 years he's been pretty accurate about projected deliveries. That's not just my experience, but that of a number of repeat customers. Recent delays do not mean he's like other "world renowned" gunsmiths, but that stuff happens.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ordered one December 10, 2015 received it January 10, 2018

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think anyone who is paying someone to do a service is entitled to get an honest answer. I know things come up and sometimes deadlines are not met, that just needs to be communicated

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to ask yourself BEFORE you order. Is the pleasure worth the pain?

If so let the man do his work.

If not find another smith. NULA ,ULA are awesome rifles but not the only answer to the lightweight question.

All due respect to Mr Forbes. If I could afford one I might just wait.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by davidsapp
I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.

Thank you, and Scotts94 Z28!!!

TO BE CLEAR, because it seems some people can't deciefer the difference between a question and a complaint, I am asking a question, not complaining.

Like I said, I don't think Melvin likes to disappoint people or let them down so he has a hard time telling people that it's going to be a long wait, also as muledeer stated, he's gone through a change of staff over the past couple years and it's not an easy learning curve when you're building a Nula. He's taken a step to put new orders on hold because of the backlog, I'm just happy he took my order, and as a matter of fact he said my rifle was one of the last orders he took and that he only took it because I had bought one from him the year before.

As far as I'm concerned, Melvin makes the finest ultralight rifle on the planet and I have no problem waiting two years, I just don't want to keep bothering him every other month anticipating a shipment, that's why I'm asking the question on here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a like new NULA model 20 in 308 Winchester for sale with no waiting.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! 2 years wait for a rifle?...Wow!.....Hb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
g
Originally Posted by RBO
[quote=davidsapp]I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.

Thank you, and Scotts94 Z28!!!

TO BE CLEAR, because it seems some people can't deciefer the difference between a question and a complaint, I am asking a question, not complaining.

Like I said, I don't think Melvin likes to disappoint people or let them down so he has a hard time telling people that it's going to be a long wait, also as muledeer stated, he's gone through a change of staff over the past couple years and it's not an easy learning curve when you're building a Nula. He's taken a step to put new orders on hold because of the backlog, I'm just happy he took my order, and as a matter of fact he said my rifle was one of the last orders he took and that he only took it because I had bought one from him the year before.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RBO

You might have your answer based on a couple of responses ... somewhere between 2 years and 3 years!

I've only handled and shot one ULA and it was chambered in .338 G&A. The rifle and scope didn't weigh much more than 6lb and the damn thing almost knocked me out when I pulled the trigger. It went to Africa with the original owner who used it for all manner of plains game but he sold it to a coworker for half the purchase cost. I couldn't and wouldn't wait for such a rifle, or any rifle for that matter. Out of interest though, how long would it take to get a rifle from D'Arcy Echols?

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16

And you are not being fair to Mr Forbes

What? How can telling a simple truth be unfair?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was going through a staff change at the time I had an ULA. A few details were missed on some work I had done and I decided to sell that one and move on. Lot of lightweight options these days.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I ordered mine in Sept 2016 and received it Jan 2018.

I called him about 13-14 months in... He sounded tired, but he knew my name, what I had ordered, and informed me the barreled action was done and ready to be stocked.

Hang in there...

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by revorg
I ordered mine in Sept 2016 and received it Jan 2018.

I called him about 13-14 months in... He sounded tired, but he knew my name, what I had ordered, and informed me the barreled action was done and ready to be stocked.

Hang in there...

That's the same thing he's told me a few months back.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have 3 NULAs on order, waiting 1+ years on each, as I expected. Staffing problems, lots of rifles to build, etc. I could have gone elsewhere, but am willingly waiting for the best. He is one of very few craftsmen who keep going after they are 70 years old. I have known Melvin since 1971 and he is a very honorable person, but his crystal ball is no clearer than someone else's. He does his best.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by RBO

You might have your answer based on a couple of responses ... somewhere between 2 years and 3 years!

I've only handled and shot one ULA and it was chambered in .338 G&A. The rifle and scope didn't weigh much more than 6lb and the damn thing almost knocked me out when I pulled the trigger. It went to Africa with the original owner who used it for all manner of plains game but he sold it to a coworker for half the purchase cost. I couldn't and wouldn't wait for such a rifle, or any rifle for that matter. Out of interest though, how long would it take to get a rifle from D'Arcy Echols?

I asked D'Arcy about delivery times a few months ago and he said 12-14 months. That could have changed since then, but is likely pretty close.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Received a call from Mr. Forbes today that my Model 20 ordered on November 9, 2017 is complete. Balance goes in the mail tomorrow so the rifle will ship after he receives my dealer's FFL. grin

You should hear from him soon.

Bruce

Last edited by balew6254; 02/27/18. Reason: Correct spelling

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.