Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G'day,

This question is open to all. Does unfired brass have a shelf life? I have several lots of brass that would be well over 10 years old and never fired. Would this brass harden with age compared to newly manufactured cases? Would it need annealing due to sitting on the shelf for so long? I tend to buy bags of brass in the not so popular chamberings when I see them and store them until needed.

Also, I have 100 .250 Savage cases that were fired once and stored for about 10 years. I noticed the other day that quite a few have split in the neck. Does the once firing process affect the shelf storage life? If going to store fired brass for a long period would it be beneficial to anneal it before storing it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by Elvis; 03/03/18.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Metallurgy is not my thing but as long as it doesn't rust or oxidize there is really no reason for it to go bad. I have plenty of brass here that is over 10 years old. I would clean inspect and reload. I would imagine it will harden to some extent over time but annealing would soften it and begin process anew. I would not worry about firing 10 year old brass that was stored properly.

I'm surprised to hear that once fired brass has split necks after a few years of storage.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I certainly hope not....been gathering “stuff” for 40+ years for TEOTWAWKI! The crap that is on the horizon.....I thought would have happened years ago. I “prepped” a few decades early! smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Gregor: I think the distinction between loaded brass and unfired empty brass as Elvis specified is important. I loaded a bunch of 7mm TCU LC brass and stored for a long time. A significant percentage had cracked necks when fired. The same lot of LC brass stored unloaded had a lower % of cracked necks. I believe neck tension to be a factor.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen this more with loaded ammo. These were stored in a garage and the extreme temperature variations I believe accelerated the "age hardening" just the expansion and contraction due to temperature variations. Disclaimer I am not a metallurgist and this may be a crackpot theory of mine. What really will wreck brass is if there are corrosive chemicals in the air like ammonia or acids. I have thrown out boxes of brass that had exposure to corrosive contaminants and now try to keep all my ammo sealed and in temperature controlled areas. With better storage I have not had any issues so far.

I am curious why annealing can not reverse the hardening? Does the metal go through other changes like oxidation as it hardens?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elvis
G'day,

This question is open to all. Does unfired brass have a shelf life? I have several lots of brass that would be well over 10 years old and never fired. Would this brass harden with age compared to newly manufactured cases? Would it need annealing due to sitting on the shelf for so long? I tend to buy bags of brass in the not so popular chamberings when I see them and store them until needed.

Also, I have 100 .250 Savage cases that were fired once and stored for about 10 years. I noticed the other day that quite a few have split in the neck. Does the once firing process affect the shelf storage life? If going to store fired brass for a long period would it be beneficial to anneal it before storing it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have several hundred WWII military .30-06 brass that I still neck up to .35 Whelen....maybe 10% split on me doing this but I've had relatively new brass split as well.

If you have 10 year old brass.....use it...if you incur splitting, it's likely not from age but would have split day-1....anneal it and you should be good to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use ‘06 brass that was made in Denver in 1942. Also some brass from the Twin Cities about the same time period.

In fact I’d venture most of the ‘06 brass I use is much older than the 10 years that you’re writing about. If I buy a rifle that is chambered for a cartridge I didn’t have before, I often will buy new brass (unless I get a “good” deal on used. In my experience though brass can last a very long time.

I rarely load brass to maximum pressure, except maybe I’ll match top loads in reloading manuals for cartridges such as the ‘06, because those pressures are low in comparison to say the 270 or others.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a variety of factors that can cause brass cartridges to crack, the alloy they are made out of, work hardening, proper annealing during manufacturer and after sizing as required, how much it expands on firing, how much it is sized after firing, exposure to corrosives (can be from primers, powder, storage, etc).

I would not expect un-fired virgin brass to crack. Some once fired brass can experience neck cracks in time, and some will be perfectly fine after several firings with no annealing.

If your goal is to get maximum life out your brass, you should definitely anneal it.

If you are experiencing neck cracks, break down the brass and inspect it. Years ago I was given some 6.5X55 reloads and found a few of the cases had neck splits. I broke down the remaining rounds and found many of them had copper corrosion in the cases even though they appeared fine externally. I don't know anything about the history of the rounds and hence what caused the corrosion but the entire batch was tossed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.