Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FatOldMIhunter,

IF the 742 is in good shape, it may well surprise you. = My 1st cousin shoots a circa 1957 Model 742 in .30-06 that will routinely make ONE ragged hole in a target to ranges well beyond 200M.
(My cousin Randy is a FAR better "shot" than I ever was or ever will be.)

Fwiw, I'm a "model 760 addict" & my pump-rifles (in several calibers) are just as "hunting accurate" as any of my friends bolt-action rifles.

Fwiw, the only paper targets that I shoot at are for sighting-in a new rifle or "checking the zero" on my current rifles/scopes. = I'm a hunter, rather than a target shooter, & all of my pump-guns are FINE for hunting, IF I do my part.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mooshoo,

EXACTLY SO.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JoeBob,

EXACTLY.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FatOldMIHunter,

For coyotes, it's hard to beat the CHEAP "white box" 150 grain Winchester ammo that is sold all over the USA. = I've shot LOTS of it in my SA circa 1943 M1 Garand, as it's JSP "near clone" of M2 Ball.

You might also buy some boxes of FMJ M2 Ball & take coyotes with that ammo. = Works FINE on coyotes/bobcats/similar quarry, passes through both sides of the body leaving 2 small holes & doesn't mess up the pelt.. M2 Ball (or one of the numerous "foreign clones") is often VERY cheap if bought by the hundreds.

Otoh, you could pass the 742 along to someone in the family who will appreciate it & who HUNTS.
(The 742 was never intended to be a "target rifle", any more than a Jeep was ever intended to win at the Indy 500.)

At 71YY, all six of my Model 76o pumps shoot better than I can at my age.
(On the other hand, do NOT stand out at ranges to 250-300M & invite my lovely/33YO/60" tall/92# Darla to shoot at you, as you'll soon look like a piece of Swiss cheese. = She is "downright deadly with" her Model 7615P pump-carbine and/or with any of my numerous rifles, including my 9.3x62mm.)

ADDENDA: To anyone who says that any "halfway competent" gunsmith cannot improve the trigger 100% on ANY of the Remington SA rifles or pumps, I say that what you stated is: BRAVO SIERRA.
(I had the trigger-squeeze "worked on" upon my .244REM Model 760. = It took Rob Peters about 20 minutes to improve the trigger a LOT & he charged me 35 bucks. Rob can easily do the same "magic" on any 742/7400/760/7600. = It's all in "knowing your craft".).

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 03/04/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
FWIW, my dad has a 742 in 308 WIN that he bought when he was a young man that has been great for him and killed MANY Deer. My Uncle on the other hand went for the 30-06 and had tons of issues over the years to the point that in the 80's Remington took his 742 back and gave him a brand new 7400 Carbine in 30-06 which he also had issue with. I just heard from my Dad that he broke the stock on a Hog hunt in Texas.

That could happen to any rifle sure, but he has been plagued with issues his entire adult life with that gun. I would have thought he would just give up on it, but alas no.

When I inherit my Dad's, I will cherish it for the memories but will probably never take it out in the the Deer woods. YMMV.

Last edited by Disseminator; 03/04/18.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 740 30/06 that my dad bought in the 50s. He loved that rifle, and tinkered with it constantly, but could never make it shoot small groups. He called it "Lightin"...not because it was fast, but because it never struck the same place twice! I cherish the rifle and take it hunting occasionally, just because.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The 125 Nos BT out of a 30-06 has an MPBR of 297 yards or so. That seems to fit your criteria pretty well.

Don't even try the 224 sabots..they're basically shotgun patterns.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I guess I just don’t get it. If the size of the holes does not matter, I don’t see anything that any of the varmint rounds do that a 30-06 won’t within the range of 300 yards.

Shoot flatter and with less recoil.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by mooshoo
years down the road you dodn't want to say to a son or daughter...

Not an issue.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by satx78247
FatOldMIhunter,

IF the 742 is in good shape, it may well surprise you. = My 1st cousin shoots a circa 1957 Model 742 in .30-06 that will routinely make ONE ragged hole in a target to ranges well beyond 200M.
(My cousin Randy is a FAR better "shot" than I ever was or ever will be.)

Fwiw, I'm a "model 760 addict" & my pump-rifles (in several calibers) are just as "hunting accurate" as any of my friends bolt-action rifles.

Fwiw, the only paper targets that I shoot at are for sighting-in a new rifle or "checking the zero" on my current rifles/scopes. = I'm a hunter, rather than a target shooter, & all of my pump-guns are FINE for hunting, IF I do my part.

yours, tex

From what I've heard, pump actions are typically more accurate than semi-autos, all else being equal.

Will there be cake?
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter
I guess I just don’t get it. If the size of the holes does not matter, I don’t see anything that any of the varmint rounds do that a 30-06 won’t within the range of 300 yards.

Flatter? The max point blank range of a 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet is 287 yards when it is sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Don't even try the 224 sabots..they're basically shotgun patterns.

What causes that? I've heard they don't stabilize well in longer twist rates, but they supposedly do fine in 1:10 twist barrels.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter

Flatter? The max point blank range of a 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet is 287 yards when it is sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards.

That's probably the MPBR for deer (+/-3" from zero). The MPBR for coyotes is smaller.

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FatOldMIHunter,

No nieces/nephews either, that would love to own a "family rifle"??
(Fwiw, at 71YY, I've started my "distribution" of firearms to my niece/nephew. - My adult daughter has already "adopted" the firearms that she wants.= A .223 BA sporter & my old Makerov.)

A chuckle for you: IF you have a daughter (or a favorite niece) in your life, you'll understand their "taking ways", when it comes to "Daddy's stuff". = One afternoon my daughter came to the house, picked up my 9x18mm Makerov/holster that was lying on the table next to my lounge-chair. She said, "This is a way too girly a gun for you to carry. - I'm going to borrow it."
As a result of that one-sided conversation, I bought myself another Sig-Sauer 9mm for EDC.
(The only time that I've seen it in the last 2 years, the MAK was peeking out of the right back pocket of a pair of size 6 CHIC jeans.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
FatOldMIHunter,

No nieces/nephews either, that would love to own a "family rifle"??
(Fwiw, at 71YY, I've started my "distribution" of firearms to my niece/nephew. - My adult daughter has already "adopted" the firearms that she wants.= A .223 BA sporter & my old Makerov.)

A chuckle for you: IF you have a daughter (or a favorite niece) in your life, you'll understand their "taking ways", when it comes to "Daddy's stuff". = One afternoon my daughter came to the house, picked up my 9x18mm Makerov/holster that was lying on the table next to my lounge-chair. She said, "This is a way too girly a gun for you to carry. - I'm going to borrow it."
As a result of that one-sided conversation, I bought myself another Sig-Sauer 9mm for EDC.
(The only time that I've seen it in the last 2 years, the MAK was peeking out of the right back pocket of a pair of size 6 CHIC jeans.)

yours, tex

Nobody else wanted this rifle. Maybe that will change by the time I croak, but it seems unlikely.

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OldFatMIHunter,

In that sad case, I'd convert it to "dead presidents" forthwith & get something that you DO like. = I've converted to ALL pump shotguns & rifles, other than my antique single shot military rifles & a very few handguns.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My brother brought me his old 742 carbine in .308 the other day...broken extractor. It has always been a good one MOA gun with 150's and he had let his boys use it a time or two . The magazine he sent with it would not function so I dug through a pile and put one together that would feed. Told him to just get the old girl sighted in and use it to hunt with no plinking and she should have some life left in her. If I recall I once made up some 110 gr. handloads for that gun and it was used to take fur as a call rifle. Worked just fine. As Redneck stated these old guns have a limited life...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
OldFatMIHunter,

In that sad case, I'd convert it to "dead presidents" forthwith & get something that you DO like.

That might happen, but the only type of rifle that I'm really wanting is a cheap, flat-shooting, low-recoil, semi-auto, 300 yd coyote gun. By cheap, I would mean under $500 with mounts and rings. That's if the 742 sells for $250.

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OldFatMIHunter,

Check your mail please.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JoeBob,

All else being equal, I cannot tell ANY difference in any style (SA, pump, SS or BA) of rifle for HUNTING, with the exception of my NM-grade & treasured M1 Garand that shoots MUCH better than I do now with these 71YO eyes.
(I don't see peep sights all that well these days. = Everything but the Garand is scoped.)

Note: Several younger shooters (who see BETTER) have done very well with my M1 in the local rifle matches.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.