Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1269703 02/23/07
K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have been invited on a caribou hunt this fall. The gentleman (using this term loosely) is still putting the detaisl together. If anyone has any recommendations as to location, outfitter or guide, we would appreciate your input.

Additionally, I have a 270WSM I can use, but feel the itch for a diffent one. Any input as to what would work well is also appreciated.

Tips?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm currently looking at hunts in Quebec as the past few years have had a serious decline in hunt quality in NWT from what I've seen...

I guess it depends on what type of hunt you want and what type of Caribou you want.....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I went with Canadaventure. I used a .25/06 for my Caribou, shot both with 117 grain bullets, no problem what so ever. I don't know what other rifles you have, but if you don't have a .30/06 that might be a good route to go.

[Linked Image]
K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have a 25.06 that is all weather. I also have a .270 #1, an older tikka stainless laminate in 7 mag and a CZ 550 FS in 6.5. I am thinking about a new rifle just for S&G.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well...you have a heck of a good assortment....I guess if you wanted to add something for S&G I'd add a 300 or a 325 or 338....you've got the small bases covered nicely...

Of course, none of those are needed for caribou, but you have a great assortment of caribou capable guns...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are so many types of caribou and conditions here in Canada. You could be hunting the bogs(Newfoundland) to tundra(Quebec/Labrador/NT/YK) to the mountians(YK/BC). Any idea of where you might be headed? It might make a some difference to what cartidge and firearm(stainless?) you chose.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by phoenixdawg
I went with Canadaventure. I used a .25/06 for my Caribou, shot both with 117 grain bullets, no problem what so ever. I don't know what other rifles you have, but if you don't have a .30/06 that might be a good route to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix--I am going on my second hunt with Canadaventure the first week of September. I last went 9 years ago. Jean Pierre was our guide/outfitter. I'd love an update and anything else you could offer. Schefferville still getting 10$ for a burger and 7$ for a 10oz Labatt?? Thanks Phoenix!

Last edited by isaac; 02/24/07.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I think we are looking at Quebec. Everyone is offering a bear if we buy a tag for essentailly nothing. Are there really that many bears, or is it just the opposite: thre are none in that region and is is a marketing and sales tool. Any outfitters or guides in the area are also appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking at Quebec be very careful. We went quite a few years ago and 6 of us got ripped off for a total of $4,500. Have travelled into Quebec over the past 40 plus years only 3 or 4 times and had issues each time. Nowadays if we decide to travel to Vermont or New Hampshire via Quebec we stop in Cornwall, Ont. to gas and coffee up then drive straight through Quebec without the need to stop for anything. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good outfitters in Quebec, but also some horrible ones as well.....stick with a reputable name and you'll do fine. The problem with the NWT right now is the herds are changing and declining so much...I know of a couple guys that went and didnt have the chance at 1 legal caribou all hunt.....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I probably should have clarified that not all the issues we experienced in Quebec were related to hunting trips. Mainly they were related to the people and their attitudes i.e. the French-Canadians. Some friends state that they have travelled in Quebec and found no recent problems. Since my memories are not favourable ones I choose not to go near the province now. The conditions found in the province are of their own creation and have resulted in many people like myself who prefer to avoid travelling or visiting there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahhh...same reason I hate going home to Ontario......heh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have made 6 hunting trips to New Brunswick, and have always felt very welcome, and found the people very helpful and friendly. I made 1 trip to Quebec, and came away with a feeling that, as a whole, the people are NOT friendly, I felt very unwelcome, and have NO plans to return there... Maybe I just got unlucky. Im not talking about the outfitter, or the hunt, they were fine, but in regards to the people I encountered in the towns, restaurants, bank, etc, while travelling in the area. JMHO, and YMMV.

NRA Endowment Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My brother and I went caribou hunting in Quebec last fall with Mirage Outfitters. It was my first trip with them, my brother's second. The ten hunters staying in our camp killed twenty 'bou in a week, all respectable racks, some outstanding. In our experience they are a first class outfit all the way. I would recommend them highly. They're not cheap. A lot of guys around here go north for caribou, most of the horror stories we hear are from people who seem to think you can get the same quality hunt for $2500 that you can get for $5000. It just ain't so.

With regard to calibers, what you've got will work just fine, as will almost any reasonable big game caliber. The hunters in our camp used everything from those gizmos with the pullies and cables that shoot aluminum sticks with the razorblade things on the end to .338 Winmags. My brother and I killed one with a .25-06 AI, 115gr TSX and three with a .303 Savage (that's not a typo) with 190gr Silvertips.

Living within an hour of Quebec I've been there quite a bit, have known, worked and played with people from there, never had any problems, personally. Good luck.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm bumping this back to the top.

Recently talked with my brother-in-law and we are looking at doing a caribou hunt for him, his son, and myself in the next 2-3 years. For my nephew, this will likely be one of his first hunting experiences(he'll be 15-16). Looking at a quality hunt where we can not only get good trophies, but bring back good meat and hides as well. Taking along a shotgun (ptarmigan) and fishing tackle as well. We are of the mindset that we don't mind paying good money for a good hunt, but want to do our homework to avoid questionable outfitters and low chance of success hunts.

Also looking at reputable booking agents like Atcheson.

Yukon/Northwest Territories/Nunavut for barren ground caribou has been mentioned as one possibility. Northern Quebec as a second and Labrador as a third. Wood caribou in B.C/Yukon has also been mentioned.

That said, any other suggestions/experiences would be welcome.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
D
D
I would look hard at collingwood brothers in british columbia as well as lancasters, especially if you want the fishing,ptarmagin and caribou

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, will check them out.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cocomen69
I have made 6 hunting trips to New Brunswick, and have always felt very welcome, and found the people very helpful and friendly. I made 1 trip to Quebec, and came away with a feeling that, as a whole, the people are NOT friendly, I felt very unwelcome, and have NO plans to return there... Maybe I just got unlucky. Im not talking about the outfitter, or the hunt, they were fine, but in regards to the people I encountered in the towns, restaurants, bank, etc, while travelling in the area. JMHO, and YMMV.
Yes this is the case in Quebec. I lived and born in Canada and can speak french although not fluently. I was insulted and even in one pub an ash tray was hurled at me. Canadians from the west aren't even welcome there so a lot less an American. These people are morons with a chip on their shoulders and avoid this province if you don't want problem. The head aches aren't worth it.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Try looking at Ungava Adventures. I talked to Sonny at the Toronto Sportsman Show. Been in business for thirty years and has had the same guides for twenty. Very nice fellow and price includes flight from Montreal, then to the outpost camps.
All are full service. If I remember right he said there are about fourteen outposts. He lives in Barrie Ont then heads out when the fishing seasons starts.

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
We ended up booking with Ungava and Sonny. I think the 3:1 hunt is in late Septemeber will run about $5,700 from Montreal. I will update as we go. So far, Sonny has responded to all questions and been honest and a big help planning. It is supposed to be one of teh better areas. I have already been provided with a list of things to bring a buy for the trip.

He indicates that while there is no added cost over the license, there may be a few bears, but do not count on them. iT is truely a rare sight. Ptarmigan hunting and fishing are also avilable with his package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,875
Posts18,518,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.