Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen...this is the rifle I had posted about a week or 2 ago. I'll let you experts be the judge on is it all original? Has anything been refinished in your opinions? Any other info you can let me know about would be appreciated. As those of you know if you read my other post, I know NOTHING about the 99's, I just think they are a very cool rifle and wish I could afford this one. Hopefully I can remember how to post pics. If they don't show up, please bear with me as this is the 2nd time I have done this and had to have help the last time I did it. Thanks...Eddie

[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/rVoDq1K.jpg[/img] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][/img][img][img]http://i.imgur.com/rVoDq1K.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 03/09/18. Reason: add photo
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well crud...I can see them all except the one that shows SAV 30 in it, but the link is there to click on. Not sure why it didn't show up on here. I hope you can see them. If not, please let me know what I need to do. Thanks...Eddie

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a limit as to how many pictures you can have in one post. Here:

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looks original to me ,normal wear on the receiver, even has the dreadded tang crack in the stock. It is in better shape then the sav 30 marked rifle i have. What is the s/n ? wondering if it fell in the s/n range Rick has. Don

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Calhoun!

Loggah-I don't think I even got a picture of the s/n so I can't answer that. Sorry. What would be the going price on one like this? Thanks...Eddie

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks right to me. It may have been lightly sanded at some point in it's life, but it's hard to tell for sure. I wouldn't let that deter me if I wanted the gun. It looks to be in excellent condition for a 115 year old rifle.

If I were interested in buying it I would pull the butt plate off and the forearm and check and make sure all the serial numbers match. Just looking at the gun I don't know why they wouldn't but better safe than sorry.

If you want to shoot it I would fix that crack. If you don't plan on shooting it much or at all, I'd prolly leave it alone.

Edit: Just looking more closely at that one picture it looks as though somebody may have already tried to fix that tang crack...

Last edited by 99guy; 03/10/18.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would check out the crack under the sight. It looks like there's a small piece of wood missing along the margin of the tang. If that crack is not stable then it turns the rifle into a non-shooter without either a fix or a replacement stock; and both are serious considerations and "big time" grounds for negotiating the price. The crack could be why the seller still has the rifle.

PS - on second look there appears to be a big gob of wood filler in the crack too. The crack, for me, could be a serious game stopper!

Whats up with the 30? Is it a mis-stamped 303 designation? This is not a big deal with me, but just interesting.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/10/18.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a sexy rifle.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG

Whats up with the 30? Is it a mis-stamped 303 designation? This is not a big deal with me, but just interesting.

It's actually a 30-30 Winchester. Savage stamped of few of the early guns in that caliber Sav.30" That is not a common gun. The tang crack is really a secondary consideration in this case if you are looking for an early 1899 stamped Sav 30."

Last edited by 99guy; 03/10/18.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tang crack looks repaired but need to verify. There is filler at the tang and maybe a pin (dark dot on side) in the wrist. Wood has been refinished but not heavily sanded. Address looks buffed but I think it might just be a blurry photo as the rest of the rifle finish looks right. Rear sight is correct. Tang sight is a much later production (no problem). As this is a pre-90,000 rifle you would want to watch for receiver cracks and keep reloaded ammo pressure to factory or lower.

I haven't seen a SAV 30 sell in some time. I would think it should be worth a little premium to a collector as there were not that many produced.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by S99VG

It's actually a 30-30 Winchester. Savage stamped of few of the early guns in that caliber Sav.30" That is not a common gun. The tang crack is really a secondary consideration in this case if you are looking for an early 1899 stamped Sav 30."

Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys. I wonder if my friend who has the rifle at his shop has someone in mind to sell it to. He hasn't had it long and hasn't even displayed it yet. I would love to have it, however, it is going to be out of my price range and if I were to ever get a 99 I would like to be able to shoot it at least fairly frequently.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Thanks guys. I wonder if my friend who has the rifle at his shop has someone in mind to sell it to. He hasn't had it long and hasn't even displayed it yet. I would love to have it, however, it is going to be out of my price range and if I were to ever get a 99 I would like to be able to shoot it at least fairly frequently.

I am interested enough to chat with the fellow if you wouldn't mind passing that along. I'll send you a PM.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’d still be darn sure that crack is stabilized. That’s a substantial piece of wood missing from a thin part of the stock and it wouldn’t be pretty if it let go.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,818
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.