Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A local gun shop guy was telling me that the new powders with anti-copper fouling properties tend to burn dirty and build up a carbon ring in the leade of the barrel. He cited Hodgdon CFE 223, Alliant Reloder 16 & 23, and other new IMR powders as culprits. Have any of you heard of this issue or is it just gun counter babble?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Who cares. The older H414/760 and other ball powder were always cited as burning dirty but so what. I shoot and clean when necessary no matter what the rifle or powder is so in the end, if it shoots well every time I use it. it is a good powder.
Just my thoughts....
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Who cares. The older H414/760 and other ball powder were always cited as burning dirty but so what. I shoot and clean when necessary no matter what the rifle or powder is so in the end, if it shoots well every time I use it. it is a good powder.
Just my thoughts....
John

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he says.

I'd have asked the gun store cowboy how he knows that they build up a carbon ring.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Just my thoughts....
John

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he says.

I'd have asked the gun store cowboy how he knows that they build up a carbon ring.

I did. His response was that several folks have told him the same thing. I failed to challenge the notion further since I was there getting a generous donation for my RMEF Chapter’s banquet! Happy Trails

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know as I am the clean it every time I shoot more than 40 rounds type but I suspect some think that because the powder has anti copper agents you never need to clean it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I havent noticed CFE 223 to burn dirty and I ran about 6 lbs of it shooting prarie dogs last year.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/11/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
I havent noticed CFE 223 to burn dirty and I ran about 6 lbs of it shokting prarie dogs last year.

Mr. Walker - tell me what you do to "Shokting" a pd ? whistle
laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy,now....this is a family site....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have burned a bunch of CFE-223 in my .223's and have yet to run into much powder fouling and very, very little copper fouling at all.

I think your LGS guy needs to get out more and shoot the stuff he sells.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pressure has a lot to do with cleanliness of the burn, too low and it will be dirty. As for the powders you've cited, I tend towards it being a little babble..

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Pressure has a lot to do with cleanliness of the burn, too low and it will be dirty. As for the powders you've cited, I tend towards it being a little babble..

That would explain my experience with CFE-223. It likes to be run at max or near-max loads for accuracy in all of my rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WAM,

I've the powders the gun-counter guy mentioned clean-burning as long (as somebody else already mentioned) the powder charge is near published max. Have also found the decoppering agent works, but exactly how well they work in a specific load and rifle depends on several things, including the bullet, and size of powder charge. But that's been true of decoppering agents since they were first used over a century ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Powder is the one thing reloaders seem to have the need to get hot and bothered about but in my opinion matters much less than brass lots/brands, bullets or even primers. Some worship it in the tenths of grains.

I look at carbon fouling as "lubrication", so long as its soft. Hell, some guys roll their bullets in moly like its a pancea for cramming in more powder....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe he has lots of old stock he's not shifting as everyone is buying the new stuff. smile

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After shooting a couple of cases of FFg black, nothing seems dirty burning in the smokeless area. grin

Last edited by Joe; 03/11/18.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Mule Deer, No worries about running loads much below max in my case! Thanks to all for your responses. I have only fired about 18 rounds of CFE223 through my .35 Whelen and it didn’t appear to be dirtier than normal. It’s not like it’s going to be a high volume shooter in a dog town anytime soon. Happy Trails

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by BWalker
I havent noticed CFE 223 to burn dirty and I ran about 6 lbs of it shokting prarie dogs last year.

Mr. Walker - tell me what you do to "Shokting" a pd ? whistle
laugh

Jerry

With my fat thumbs I have not mastered typing on a smart phone yet.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Superformance seems sooty in 22/250 but speed and accuracy with 65 grain Sierras is TOPS ! Still looking for something to best H4350 and 127 LRX in the 6.5 CM.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the fouling is carbon so much as it's the decoppering agent.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Pressure has a lot to do with cleanliness of the burn, too low and it will be dirty..

Apparently this is quite true.

The 7mm magnum book starting load using Ramshot Magnum & the 139 grain Hornady is one of the filthiest loads I've ever had to clean up after. It sure shoots well though, my last three shot group at 100 yards out of a cold barrel was a perfect triangle @ .50"

We deal in lead, friend.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.