Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What’s the best for long term storage? I’ve got pics of my grannies that are gone. Some on a old laptop i need to get off before it fails.

That laptop has a cd drive, but my new laptop doesn’t. USB flash?

I’ve read ssd has life cycle.

SD cards?

Print the pics out at Walmart / cbs/ Walgreens??

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with the proven CD-R technology. You can purchase an External CD player/burner from Amazon that works with Windows XP to 10. You can use Verbatim UltraLife Archival Grade Gold Recordable Disc CD-R which last 10 times longer than other premium CD's. Links are to Amazon, but you can buy these items from many other places.

Also, you're not limited to a single technology, so a USB flash drive can work as a backup. I keep both CD's and an external hard drive in a safe deposit box as well as duplicates at home. You can never have too many backups unless it's something you don't want anyone else to see and then even 1 copy is 1 too many.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MacLorry
I would go with the proven CD-R technology. You can purchase an External CD player/burner from Amazon that works with Windows XP to 10. You can use Verbatim UltraLife Archival Grade Gold Recordable Disc CD-R which last 10 times longer than other premium CD's. Links are to Amazon, but you can buy these items from many other places.

Also, you're not limited to a single technology, so a USB flash drive can work as a backup. I keep both CD's and an external hard drive in a safe deposit box as well as duplicates at home. You can never have too many backups unless it's something you don't what anyone else to see and then even 1 copy is 1 too many.

Might want to rethink that as I have had a lot of the cd-r with movies on them bite the dust...I now just keep multiple copies on different external drives.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Also, you're not limited to a single technology, so a USB flash drive can work as a backup. I keep both CD's and an external hard drive in a safe deposit box as well as duplicates at home. You can never have too many backups unless it's something you don't want anyone else to see and then even 1 copy is 1 too many.

Might want to rethink that as I have had a lot of the cd-r with movies on them bite the dust...I now just keep multiple copies on different external drives.

That's what you get with cheap CR-R blanks. For long time storage you got to be willing to pay lots for archive grade CD-R blanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nowadays, I'd put my trust in multiple copies, one of them being The Cloud. I'm paying about $12/year for 100 GB on Amazon, beyond what I've got with a Prime membership. Prime gives you unlimited free picture storage. All my laptops, desktops, and phones automatically send their pics to the Amazon Cloud. The 100 GB is for home video and backups of my various websites.

Beyond that, I have at least two hard drives storing stuff. They are physically separated, and I verify the images every six months or so. When one drive dies (after 3-5 years) I copy stuff onto a new drive. You can now buy Seagate 2TB USB drives for $65. That's incredibly cheap.

The other thing I can suggest is that sharing files with your family and friends are a good extra backup. That is, if you've got pics of Grannie, make sure a copy goes out to all your family members. That way, they'll probably survive no matter what.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Also, you're not limited to a single technology, so a USB flash drive can work as a backup. I keep both CD's and an external hard drive in a safe deposit box as well as duplicates at home. You can never have too many backups unless it's something you don't what anyone else to see and then even 1 copy is 1 too many.

That's what you get with cheap CR-R blanks. For long time storage you got to be willing to pay lots for archive grade CD-R blanks.

German CD-R didn't last any better than the Chinese ones, but to be fair it could have something to do with being stored in occasional 48 celsius heat.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Do yourself a favor. If you use a cloud storage system, especially a paid one, make SURE you record the login information and TELL someone where it is. If no one knows you have all grandmas pics in the cloud, no one will look for them when you get hit by the proverbial bus. And leaving the login info saves your heirs from having to go through a runaround with whoever. Sharing the pics ahead of time as mentioned is also a good idea, but no guarantee they will archive properly either. This all from personal experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

German CD-R didn't last any better than the Chinese ones, but to be fair it could have something to do with being stored in occasional 48 celsius heat.

If you click the link I included for the Archival Grade CD-R blanks you'll see they are made differently than regular CD-R blanks and are good for 100 years under reasonable conditions. Make multiple copies and store them in various locations. One advantage of the CD-R is that the format is independent of the OS. That is, you can view a CD made on a Windows machine on a Mac, or on your TV using a player that supports CD's (most blueray players).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If you click the link I included for the Archival Grade CD-R blanks you'll see they are made differently than regular CD-R blanks and are good for 100 years under reasonable conditions. Make multiple copies and store them in various locations. One advantage of the CD-R is that the format is independent of the OS. That is, you can view a CD made on a Windows machine on a Mac, or on your TV using a player that supports CD's (most blueray players).

Thank you Mac, I shall give them a whirl.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also look at M-discs: M-disc

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't bother storing liberal media, even short term, conservative media is still in too short a supply to start storing it (need it for breeding new ones), and unbiased media will not record. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I backup my photos onto two external drives; one for the gun safe and one for the safety deposit box at the bank. Those are good but temporary so getting your favorites onto CD/DVD and printed as well would be a good way to make sure they're around for the long haul......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having done a tour of duty in the disk drive industry, I can tell you that the uncorrectable error rate on CDs is much higher than that of hard drives. Also, CDs are slower. They are handy if you want to move data from one place to another, but they are not the best storage solution,

For about $60, you can get a 1 TB external USB hard drive. 2 TB isn't that much more expensive.

The first thing you do is an image of your C drive, and update it every once in a while. That way, your whole C drive can be restored, including your operating system. Then you make a folder on it for your personal pictures and stuff.

My personal pictures are actually on one such drive, and my hard drive is on another. When the one with the image of my hard drive is not actually in use, it's in my fire safe.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep ALL my data on a separate partition of my hard drive, and that data automatically backs up to a second physical hard drive...and when that occurs it is automatically backed up to a NAS. I am vulnerable to catastrophic loss of my house, and have been thinking of how I might back it up off-site. I r-e-f-u-s-e to use some third party's server, though. I want 100% exclusive custody of my data.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with all automatic backup schemes is that they are vulnerable to hacking, including ransomware, and even if you have top quality security software, a lightning strike can destroy all but the best engineered systems. If you have files worth backing up use external hard drives that get disconnected and stored away on a shelf and in a safe deposit box just in case of break-in, fire, etc.

You're justified in your concern about third party cloud storage. Even if encrypted, a hacker can delete it and a bankruptcy filing can make it unavailable.

I see people keep thinking their experience with cheap CD-R's is relevant to archival grade CD-R's and DVD's, but it's not. Optical media is what the government uses for archival purposes because it's by far the most likely to retain data over decade long periods as compared to any magnetic or stored charge device (flash cards and drives).

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info.

I’ll like the physical backup plus cloud storage idea. Not really worried about hackers. It’s just Christmas, birthday party, reunion pics..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3 copies, 2 formats, 1 off sight. I think that is what Kim Komando recommends.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is not an easy subject, all media fails and media players become obsolete. For instance I have lots of 5.25 floppies but fortunately nothing I really care about should the last 5.25 floppy drive in the basement die. Anybody remember Zip Drive?

I would probably go with a quality CD, should be good for 10 years, and a good external hard drive which should be good for a couple years anyway. Long odds that both will fail at the same time. The external drive because it's easier to keep backups current, not doing so is something I've lived to regret. Though keep in mind that Murphy's Law says the more important it is, the sooner it'll fail.

And plan on updating archives every couple years with fresh media and the then-current format. Off-site storage of a copy of everything important has been a required strategy since the days of Grace Hopper.wiki

Do not trust flash drives any farther than you can throw them though they are better than they were a few years ago.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Denton,

Always consider compatibility with those hard drives.Have an old computer that failed but hard drive is ok. It's an ATA with NTFS file format. With all the junk in the basement you'd think I'd have another machine that could handle that? NOOOO!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
if you choose DVD , CD to store data : among other things bacteria growth can damage the CD/DVD materials. to see a list of other hazards :

http://www.cd-info.com/archiving/degradation/index.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.