Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

I have a question for all those concerned by the way.

If the use of variable magnification is indicative of less reliability, wouldn't the use of a BDC reticle and not twisting turrets be inherently more reliable?

I'm no scope designer, but the reticle cell spun and this is independent of turret twisting. Twisting the turrets moves the erector tube, but a rotating reticle indicates that the means to fix the reticle cell failed. Threaded and staked? Or glued in place?

I'm just guessing, and hopefully someone like JB can comment. On the Leupo 6x scopes, he has mentioned that the rear scope ring placed over the reticle cell can cause failures.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm interested if your ambient had anything to do with the failure, on top of the round count. If glued, did the round count compromise the fixation method? Add that cold temperature and then you start spinning.

Anyway, good job busting that scope. Only way that we can learn is to break stuff and find the cause.

I'd shoot a message to Chris Farris. He might have some comments.

J

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Super Snipers die the same as any other scope given enough use.

This 6X died around the 4K mark. SWFA is going to warranty it of course.

[Linked Image]

Dave

Photoshopped

Last edited by prm; 03/11/18.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pappy348
BOING!

If the use of variable magnification is indicative of less reliability, wouldn't the use of a BDC reticle and not twisting turrets be inherently more reliable?

Pretty much how I use my SS anyway, and one or two others, at the range anyway. In the field, I use the old standby method of most fat, lazy, weak, Eastern hunters of sighting in for 200 yards and holding on hair from 0-300. Most of the deer I shoot, or don't, are close enough to hear the clicks and see the movement.

Yeah that's fine but what is being gained by using a scope that weighs 10 fugking pounds unless you're dialing past the 5 and doping wind on game animals that are so distant you need to precisely dope wind?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I'm no scope designer, but the reticle cell spun and this is independent of turret twisting. Twisting the turrets moves the erector tube, but a rotating reticle indicates that the means to fix the reticle cell failed. Threaded and staked? Or glued in place?

I'm just guessing, and hopefully someone like JB can comment. On the Leupo 6x scopes, he has mentioned that the rear scope ring placed over the reticle cell can cause failures.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm interested if your ambient had anything to do with the failure, on top of the round count. If glued, did the round count compromise the fixation method? Add that cold temperature and then you start spinning.

Anyway, good job busting that scope. Only way that we can learn is to break stuff and find the cause.

J

I've also wondered if shooting suppressed causes premature failure. I've read before that cans/brakes can cause a push/pull that is not unlike an air rifle. Don't know if that's valid or not.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The odd NF fails too, but it’s a lot more rare to find a broken NF or SWFA than most other brands.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BOING!

Pretty much how I use my SS anyway, and one or two others, at the range anyway. In the field, I use the old standby method of most fat, lazy, weak, Eastern hunters of sighting in for 200 yards and holding on hair from 0-300. Most of the deer I shoot, or don't, are close enough to hear the clicks and see the movement.

Yeah that's fine but what is being gained by using a scope that weighs 10 fugking pounds unless you're dialing past the 5 and doping wind on game animals that are so distant you need to precisely dope wind?

The only heavy one I've dragged into the woods is my Tract Tekoa, and soon it's going on a 5lb 6mm where it won't be noticed. I've dropped the recommended 10 lbs or so that's supposed to help me carry the heavy glass around, but since I usually don't carry my ass in my hands, I don't notice much difference in how tired my arms get. Next, I suppose the bastards will be telling me to lift weights.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next, I suppose the bastards will be telling me to lift weights.

Uh, whadda ya think that cylindrical device is on the left side of deflave's bench?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I dunno. Keg?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've also wondered if shooting suppressed causes premature failure. I've read before that cans/brakes can cause a push/pull that is not unlike an air rifle. Don't know if that's valid or not.

Travis

Good point. Brakes can be a problem, but I didn't know that a suppressor would do the same.

J

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The odd NF fails too, but it’s a lot more rare to find a broken NF or SWFA than most other brands.

It's even more rare to find a 6X42 Leupold with a LR reticle that has failed. Which is what I'm driving at.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Good point. Brakes can be a problem, but I didn't know that a suppressor would do the same.

J

Mine has a brake under the can itself.

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Harvester?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

It's even more rare to find a 6X42 Leupold with a LR reticle that has failed. Which is what I'm driving at.

Travis

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Have personally seen a couple 6xs with LRDs croak.

I wish the 6x Leupolds with LRDs would always work, as I'm generally happy with a light scope and BDC reticle, but I just haven't found one that will always stay in line.

Combining the two theories - a robust scope that doesn't get dialed, could be a good route...ala Nightforce 2.5-10 with Velocity reticle...especially if they made that scope FFP, or a bit lower magnification version of same.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought Leupold was doing some sort of Custom Ballistically Matched Reticle thing now? Couldn't you just get it in a MOA or MIL scale?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

J

Travis

A rifle with a brake will impact negative and positive G forces on a scope all scope are not designed to withstand negative G forces.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
never mind, posting while tired

Last edited by Yondering; 03/12/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Travis

I’ve got one in my basement right now. I have personally had multiple Leups fail on me, and have only read about two SWFA fixed scopes that have failed out of hundreds that have been sold to members of the Campfire. I’ve got a pile of SS’s that I’ve dialed thousands of shot corrections into, in all weather conditions, and haven’t yet experienced a failure. Obviously some do fail, but my experience has been that the failure rate is much closer to that of NF than Leupold.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Not 6x42 FX-3's, but have seen three 6x36's FX-II's fail, one right out of the box, the other two within 100-200 rounds.

Have had several fixed-power SWFA's, and so far the only problem has been one with 1/4 MOA adjustments that actually adjusted around .2 inch at 100 yards.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/12/18. Reason: additional info

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
I thought Leupold was doing some sort of Custom Ballistically Matched Reticle thing now? Couldn't you just get it in a MOA or MIL scale?

They've done those for a long time.

Unless they've changed, the options weren't completely custom, they were more like a variety of drops that fit different cartridges, and when ordering you chose one that was closest to your drop. But who knows...Leupold techs never seem to be on the same page, so they might do something like you asked.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

I’ve got one in my basement right now. I have personally had multiple Leups fail on me, and have only read about two SWFA fixed scopes that have failed out of hundreds that have been sold to members of the Campfire. I’ve got a pile of SS’s that I’ve dialed thousands of shot corrections into, in all weather conditions, and haven’t yet experienced a failure. Obviously some do fail, but my experience has been that the failure rate is much closer to that of NF than Leupold.

I'm not speaking to Leupold vs. SWFA. In my experience they're both great scopes.

My point is that if things are moving internally, they may be less reliable than an optic that doesn't have things moving internally.

I've owned and used the fugg out of three 6X42 Leupold's. The only one I've had to send back (twice) is the one with turrets. I've had to send back two SWFA Super Sniper's. One was a 10X and the other a 6X.

Travis

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (264mag, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.