Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
What happened to my beloved Rem oil! I picked up a new pump spray bottle of it Sat. It wasn't the usual light mist the last bottle was. Now,it's very heavy. Won't atomize for carp with the pump spray bottle. Rolls off a patch. I liked the thin spritz of the old bottle. A pump or two on a patch was perfect for wiping off a bolt or barrel. Or to push through the bore. This stuff is just maddening. What do you all recommend for an alternative? I don't want anymore of this.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Breakfree CLP or Kroll Oil. Some say 0W Synthetic motor oil and ATF work well too.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I've heard Kroil was the cheese. I've used gallons of it in an industrial application. Never tried it on firearms.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some say 0W Synthetic motor oil and ATF work well too

Are you talking about a mixture of the 2 or each individual? After changing the oil in my truck with Mobil 1 0w oil, I turned the oil containers upside down and left them for a while, and then poured them into a smaller container. I ended up with about 4 ounces of oil that I plan to use as gun oil. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

Are you talking about a mixture of the 2 or each individual? After changing the oil in my truck with Mobil 1 0w oil, I turned the oil containers upside down and left them for a while, and then poured them into a smaller container. I ended up with about 4 ounces of oil that I plan to use as gun oil. miles

Those stacked cans in the gas station's window of yesteryear, were not there as a display of thier product wink but to drain the last drop of every can of oil into the lower tier of cans. All of the upper cans had small holes poked in the bottoms. Back when oil cans required a metal spout to be inserted, auto techs were taught to pour, twist, lift, which kept @%5 Of the oil in the can on the walls. When stacked in the window, the collected oil in the bottom cans was free, for thier own use.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m still working through a quart of mil spec, ‘light machine gun oil’. I have used 0w synthetic motor oil on an AR bolt when I anticipate high round shooting, like in a dogtown.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Yep. My great uncle had an inspection station / garage when I was just a kid. He had a couple drain racks for oil cans. Used the colleted oil for various purposes around the station.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mean to start a lube war, but RemOil was nothing but garbage from the start. It's just a light-weight mineral oil.

There are lots of better lubes and rust protection out there: Eezox, TW-25B, Slip 2000, Kroil, Unicorn Tears, you name it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Otter6
What happened to my beloved Rem oil! I picked up a new pump spray bottle of it Sat. It wasn't the usual light mist the last bottle was. Now,it's very heavy. Won't atomize for carp with the pump spray bottle. Rolls off a patch. I liked the thin spritz of the old bottle. A pump or two on a patch was perfect for wiping off a bolt or barrel. Or to push through the bore. This stuff is just maddening. What do you all recommend for an alternative? I don't want anymore of this.

Clenzoil, Ballistol,Eezox,and any number of other oils hold up better. if you want to coat the action and barrel use Frog lube

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cousin is a chemical engineer for one of the major oil companies. I asked him his opinion on what was the best oil, A few years ago.. At that time he said mobile one synthetic was the best thing on the market. It was his competition and he said he could not touch it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep I quit using Rem Oil after I saw it had Teflon. I coated an "lightened": Remington trigger years ago (young and Dumb) and the Teflon made the hammer drop upon closing the bolt. Quickly degreased and all was good.

I also think other people doing things similar to me with their Remy triggers led to Remington's downfall

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

I've been using 0-20 synthetic for years, extra from atv oil changes. About as good of gun oil as I've found. I clean with solvent and clp, oil with 0-20, it will run at -25 and +90.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, it is a penetrating oil not a lubricating oil. I also want to know how someone can consider Mobil 1 a good gun oil. Unless they cycle their bolts 2000 times a minute. IMHO way too thick for a gun oil.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
All of these mad scientist potions remind of Grandpa Munster in his lab.

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
make your own, it will last years !

2 quarts Mobil 1 5-30
1 quart ATF
1 Quart STP ( in blue container)

if you want to make it more CLP'ish....add one 4 oz jar of Hoppes #9.

I made this very concoction up and have been using it for two years and have not even got half way through it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
make your own, it will last years !

2 quarts Mobil 1 5-30
1 quart ATF
1 Quart STP ( in blue container)

if you want to make it more CLP'ish....add one 4 oz jar of Hoppes #9.

I made this very concoction up and have been using it for two years and have not even got half way through it.

Geez..........

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nope, it is a penetrating oil not a lubricating oil. I also want to know how someone can consider Mobil 1 a good gun oil. Unless they cycle their bolts 2000 times a minute. IMHO way too thick for a gun oil.

Regular gun oil like rem oil turns to grease at -10. 0-20 synthetic stays thin in lower temperatures and is thick enough to run at higher temps. Most old gun oils are just 10 wt dyno oil. Synthetic is where it’s at, I changed when I discovered my stuff was less than reliable at -20. I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
[ I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.

And hot chocolate!

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using 50% Kerosene/ 50% ATF for the past decade. It's been good stuff.

This is the gun oil recipe for Ed's Red:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I was never impressed with Rem Oil.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 3,199 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.