Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've always considered "Pistols" either the original single shots (where the term came into being) or anything that does not contain a revolving cylinder. To me, a Revolver is NOT a pistol.

Anyone have any strong opinions on this or have any links to historical articles defining the terms as separate or the same? Of course to the general, non gun loving public and press, they are used interchangeably.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
To me, any handgun is a pistol, single shot, revolver, or semi.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
I've always considered "Pistols" either the original single shots (where the term came into being) or anything that does not contain a revolving cylinder. To me, a Revolver is NOT a pistol.

Anyone have any strong opinions on this or have any links to historical articles defining the terms as separate or the same? Of course to the general, non gun loving public and press, they are used interchangeably.

We have periodically had this discussion several times in the 16 years since I've been here. A revolver is not a pistol. A pistol is a handgun whose chamber is part of its barrel. A revolver, has revolving chambers within a rotating cylinder, which is separate from the barrel.

Yes, early on, when folks were struggling for a term to apply to the revolver, it was sometimes referred to as a "revolving pistol," but that's limited to that early phase when firearm terminology was just incorporating the new concept, and it was pretty quickly dropped in favor of two distinct handgun subcategories, revolver and pistol.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by websterparish47

"Handgun" is the super category. "Revolver" and "pistol" are subcategories underneath it in the same way that "chicken" is the super category, underneath which falls "hen" and "rooster." Not all chickens are roosters, and not all handguns are revolvers. Similarly, not all chickens are hens, and not all handguns are pistols.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers," is a phrase I have heard for decades and has been in print longer. A revolver is a subset of pistol as are single shots, pepper boxes, fixed multi-barrel pistols, semi-automatics, bolt action, et al. I have seen revolvers called pistols in copies of ads long before Borchard and Mauser came up with their designs in the late 1880s. I recently reread Billy Dixon's auto-biography where he calls whatever revolver he is carrying a "pistol". I'm pretty sure even Sam Colt's 1836 revolver was initially called a "revolving pistol" in early descriptions if not patent request too.

I don't know when the movement to separate the revolver from the pistol category began but I suspect it was not long after semi-auto pistols became feasible devices. If one wishes to use form rather than function as a description I have no problem with it unless one's undies get in a bunch and they try to "correct" everyone. There are much more important definitions to clarify such as calling pistols handgun. and vice versa. wink

Last edited by woodmaster81; 03/14/18.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by websterparish47

"Handgun" is the super category. "Revolver" and "pistol" are subcategories underneath it in the same way that "chicken" is the super category, underneath which falls "hen" and "rooster." Not all chickens are roosters, and not all handguns are revolvers. Similarly, not all chickens are hens, and not all handguns are pistols.

Boy, it's a good thing I haven't had a drink yet today. But I did have scramble eggs this morning! Shhh, don't tell the chickens...er...or the hens. grin laugh

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are revolvers and there are pistols.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Around here, any handgun in a "pistol". Of course, it is Tennessee, we may not be as discriminating and sophisticated as other folks. "Pistol" is the term for any handgun. Revolver or Semi Auto are descriptive. Typically, we refer to them by make and model (Smith 15, Ruger Blackhawk, Glock 27, Kimber 1911, etc.). But then, my crowd generally knows what those references mean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know that you can make a statement one way or the other definitively. I have seen old British manuals refer to revolvers as pistols. So historically, especially in the early decades of the invention of the revolver, it continued to be called a pistol. But at some point in the 20th century, "gun people" (which includes military & LE) began calling semi-auto's and anything where the chamber is connected to the barrel a "Pistol" and revolvers were referred to as revolvers exclusively.

While it's technically not "incorrect", in modern parlance, a revolver shouldn't be referred to as a pistol.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
"All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers,"

Exactly. Just as Winchester 94, Ruger Number 1, Remington 760 or a Mauser 98 are rifles.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when i was a kid back in the 50's, you really didn't see many semiauto handguns being carried. For that matter, i don't remember other than law enforcement many people carrying handguns. They were around the house, but not often carried. More often a rifle of some kind.
The term pistol was often used to describe any handgun. A example would be a first generation colt SAA i hear the term pistol, but don't remember revolver so much. As semiauto's started to become more and more in usage, the distinction between a "wheel gun" or revolver and a semiauto, "a pistol" came into being.

Interesting enought a conversation with a F.B.I. guy that taught classes at quantico sticks in mind. In some of his lectures he used the term wheel gun. He had trainees coming up after the lecture asking him what he meant, they had never heard the term.
Sheesh.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When y'all get done with this, you can tackle what makes the difference between canoe and kayak. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lets make it easier for the uneducated. We will in future discussions refer to them as side arms.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I guess it would matter when the term pistol came about. If it was used for any handgun or were there specifics to its term.

From my youngest days we never called it a handgun, but a pistol. It didn't matter if it was a semi-auto, revolver or single shot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just ask ~ Pistol Packin' Mama!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krupp
Lets make it easier for the uneducated. We will in future discussions refer to them as side arms.

That's an even larger category than handgun, since it includes sabres.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I guess it would matter when the term pistol came about. If it was used for any handgun or were there specifics to its term.

From my youngest days we never called it a handgun, but a pistol. It didn't matter if it was a semi-auto, revolver or single shot.

To my dad, a gun was always a handgun. If you meant rifle or shotgun, you had to say that. Some people seem to develop their own peculiar systems for naming things.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dammit, Samuel Colt sold his handguns as revolving pistols, and advertised them as such.

That oughta be the end of the discussion.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

To my dad, a gun was always a handgun. If you meant rifle or shotgun, you had to say that. Some people seem to develop their own peculiar systems for naming things.
Traditionally a "gun" was a smooth bore long gun. Everything else was a pistol or rifle. (going back to the turn of the 19th century).

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last I saw the ATF classified 'pistols' as any handgun that doesn't have a revolving cylinder.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,882
Posts18,497,770
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.