Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I wonder if the Mesa rifle is hard to shoot well in the field? I ask this as I once had a Match Grade Arms LW made up on a Mod 700 action in .340W with a "holes all around" brake. It was whippy, it was "Godawful loud" and kicked the guts out of a Leupold and a Zeiss. Had to finish my hunt with a friends rifle. ( Luckily it was one I had given him, originally set up for me!) I see a Mesa now in 300WM and it too has a holes all around brake and 6.5# More of the same as the bad experience with the MGM? Very curious.

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have a Mesa in 300 win mag. Shooting 180gr loads with the brake it recoils about like a 308 in my opinion. I don’t hunt with the brake installed so can’t comment on the sound but no doubt any gun with a brake is extremely loud. Very accurate rifle that functions flawlessly.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
What size scope do you have on it, if I may ask? I don't care for the big heavy ones, I'm also not a turret turner, but a point n shoot guy. I like the 300WM for a heavy hitter and most likely would never shoot anything heavier than the 180. In fact, for deer I'm considering the 130 TTSX. I also realy like the 168TTSX. How does it recoil w/o the brake? And last, can you shoot it well in regular hunting positions, i.e. off-hand, kneeling, sitting w/o a rest? I am just curious and I do appreciate you chiming in with that very Model pard!
I had that MGM rebarreld with a slightly heavier contour in 338WM and only shot the Barnes 185XLC, an elk killing devil too! I had it Mag Na Ported instead of a brake. I tried to use the rubber ear plugs that "supposedly" you can hear until the shot, then they " turn down the decibels". It was horrible, but the worse was , with its brake, the recoil would be abruptly stopped so the "air rifle piston" effect is what killed my scopes!

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
What size scope do you have on it, if I may ask? I don't care for the big heavy ones, I'm also not a turret turner, but a point n shoot guy. I like the 300WM for a heavy hitter and most likely would never shoot anything heavier than the 180. In fact, for deer I'm considering the 130 TTSX. I also realy like the 168TTSX. How does it recoil w/o the brake? And last, can you shoot it well in regular hunting positions, i.e. off-hand, kneeling, sitting w/o a rest? I am just curious and I do appreciate you chiming in with that very Model pard!
I had that MGM rebarreld with a slightly heavier contour in 338WM and only shot the Barnes 185XLC, an elk killing devil too! I had it Mag Na Ported instead of a brake. I tried to use the rubber ear plugs that "supposedly" you can hear until the shot, then they " turn down the decibels". It was horrible, but the worse was , with its brake, the recoil would be abruptly stopped so the "air rifle piston" effect is what killed my scopes!

I have a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss (Meopta) Conquest on mine. All up it weighs 8lbs8oz. Shooting with no brake standing up is no problem. On the bench it’s not too bad. My previous 300 mag was a Tikka and that gun would hammer your shoulder so the Mesa is a treat to shoot. It’s heavy enough to soak up recoil but not so heavy to make it hard to hold. Limbsaver recoil pads that come on them do a great job as well. I would buy another in a second. For the 1200 I gave for mine it is a lot of rifle with a lot of added features.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Mesa in 300 Win Mag and I think it’s a great rifle. I have a Leupold 30mm VX3i in 4.5-14X40 on mine and love that set up. With the B&C reticle you can get to 500 yards just using the holdover marks. In my opinion the recoil in pretty much non existent with the brake on and mine shoots the same with the brake off which makes switching back and forth super easy. It’s definitely a great rifle for the money.

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have one in 7mm rem mag. Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x50 it weighs bout 9lbs. Yea it’s loud with the brake on but I wouldn’t hunt with it on. I replaced the soft pad with a .40 Pachmyer to shorten the LOP. It still doesn’t kick bad at all to me without the brake. PSA on pad replacement, the factory pad is epoxyed to the stock, there are no screws and the butt is hollow. Therefore you’ll have to epoxy the new pad as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,885
Posts18,518,254
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.