Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
For some reason I want to get a long range rifle. I suppose mostly because I only own light weight hunting rifles and extremely accurate rifles excite me. I know most of your long range hunting rifles are a bit heavier than what I am accustomed to, and I know it would depend a lot on the circumstances of the hunt,but in general what would be the heaviest rifle you would consider as a hunting rifle?

I have an opportunity to purchase a phenomenally accurate rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm talking .2's accuracy wise and for what I think is a great price with a custom action and high end barrel and chassis. The thing is that the rifle alone weighs 11 pounds.It would work fine for some stand situations and as a range toy,but I was wondering if such a rifle could practically be used as a general purpose long range hunting rifle. I'm asking because I don't do any long range hunting and was wondering if you that know about long range hunting, could use a rifle that heavy in any of the type hunting you do.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Day hunting from base camp - I like no more than about 8-8.5 all up....

Backpacking I like about 7 pounds all up...

Both rigs I'd have no issues crushing something at 700+ yards...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Most of the rifles I hunt with weigh around 8 pounds, plus mounts and scope. So I’m probably packing 10 lbs. I carry it on my shoulder, so it isn’t a big deal to me. I have a few Sendero rifles, they would be a bit too much.

Last edited by hanco; 03/15/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A man has got to have more than one hunting rifle, I have what I would consider long range hunting rifles from 7 pounds to 56 pounds.
I would not let an 11pound rifle scare me off. I could find a use for it !!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt 10-12lb rifles (scoped) all the time from box stands, but the walk is generally under a half mile.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My heaviest is pushing 11lbs and I've got a few more that are 10lbs or more. They only get used in box stands or ground blinds when I'm hunting over large bean fields and the trip there involves an ATV. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I have other rifles in the 7.5lb range.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TATELAW
My heaviest is pushing 11lbs and I've got a few more that are 10lbs or more. They only get used in box stands or ground blinds when I'm hunting over large bean fields and the trip there involves an ATV. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I have other rifles in the 7.5lb range.

That's sort of what I had in mind. This rifle would wind up closer to 13 lbs scoped. I've never owned anything anywhere close to that heavy but then I do have several nice rifles from 5-8 lbs.

I don't know,I may talk myself out of it but the idea of an extremely accurate rifle does appeal to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I build rifles every year.
I am trying to keep the rifle, scope, bipod, rear bag, sling, cheek rest, and ammo..... less than 10 pounds.

Slings that are stretchy, wide, and have a high coefficient of friction make the rifle feel lighter.
Butler Creek and Vero make these.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like about 9.5lbs

7mmRM the perfect North American cartridge!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by TATELAW

That's sort of what I had in mind. This rifle would wind up closer to 13 lbs scoped. I've never owned anything anywhere close to that heavy but then I do have several nice rifles from 5-8 lbs.

I don't know,I may talk myself out of it but the idea of an extremely accurate rifle does appeal to me.

Do it. You’ll be glad you did.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have no clue what my heavy 7x300 or my MTU contour 308 weighs. Neither are light.

Carry them hunting a lot at times. While we drive some distance, we generally walk at least half a mile or more one way to the stands or areas to overlook.

That doesn't bother me in the least.

OTOH I wouldn't really want to carry either of them on a long hike.

Have carried the 308 about 3 miles max, and that wasn't a big deal to me. But I wouldn't really want to lug it around after elk etc... though my 54 sidelock doesn't really feel what I consider to be light either... and its been on a few elk runs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW our service rifles were from 16-18 pounds all up, and we rolled with 50 pounds or so of other gear up and down ranges from parking lot to pits at 1000 yards at times... it was ok too. Even in our horrible heat.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're going to be very mobile, there's much to like about the Barrett Fieldcraft and it's lightweight kin.

If you're going to sit in a nest or a treestand that is stable, its hard to argue against a medium-heavy rifle that shoots well.

Not a lot of people on the PRS circuit shooting lightweight rifles, and that requires some moving around and improvised shooting positions.

I have a B&C M40 stock with a varmint channel that is pretty heavy. I'm waiting to build a 6mm Creed or 6.5 SAUM to put into it for fun and hunting.

I'm in good shape for my age, but still prefer to sit on a logging road or some elevated spot and look down on a field with enough rifle to reach the target, and enough heft to be steady when I need that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My heaviest rifles are my one AR15 full size rifle in 6.8SPC, SR762 Ruger, my 300H&H Mauser and my Mauser 404 Jeffery. They all weight between 10-1/4 and 11 pounds. I hunt with them.

I have hunted with rifles of 12 and even 13.5 pounds in the past, but now they are all sold. I don't like anything over about 11 pounds now.

My lightest big game rifle is the one I am just finishing up right now, a Lee Metford made in the early "Speed" style. It's a 303 and weights 6.5 lbs.
Next lightest is the 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54. It weighs 7 pound 4 oz.
I have other rifles that go from about 8 pounds to 9-1/4 pounds and they comprise most of the lot.
30-30, 25-06, 6.8SPC Carbine, 7.62X39, 270s, 30-06s 308s 8X57, 9.3X57, 9.3X62 and 375H&H.

Last edited by szihn; 03/15/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I absolutely hate hunting with a heavy rifle! Most of my bolt action hunting rifles weigh in at about 7.5 to 8 lbs. Heavest one I own is a heavy barrel AR-15 that’s about 10 lbs with scope.

That being said, my next long range rifle will be a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. With their carbon stock & carbon wrapped 24” barrel they weigh 6.3 lbs without a scope. With a Leupold 4.5 X 14 and rings and bases, it will still weigh just under 8 lbs.
Several of those bought by my friends in the last year shoot little tiny one hole groups at 200 yards. And at a MSR of $1995, you can’t build a “Long Range” rifle that shoots that good for less money.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/15/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem walking around a couple of miles with my 15 lbs rifles when I'm hunting country where I expect a possible long shot. I take my 6-7 lbs rifles sheep hunting, but the things that make a 15 lbs rifle weigh 15 lbs, also make it easier to shoot little bug holes and hit stuff at LR than with lighter rifles. You have the light rifle end of the spectrum covered, try a chunk- they're way more fun to shoot in practice. You'll like it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I have no problem walking around a couple of miles with my 15 lbs rifles when I'm hunting country where I expect a possible long shot. I take my 6-7 lbs rifles sheep hunting, but the things that make a 15 lbs rifle weigh 15 lbs, also make it easier to shoot little bug holes and hit stuff at LR than with lighter rifles. You have the light rifle end of the spectrum covered, try a chunk- they're way more fun to shoot in practice. You'll like it.

I'm thinking real hard about it. I do like to shoot,even when it isn't hunting related. Good to know you have 15 lb rifles Jordan. It doesn't make me feel stupid for considering an 11 pound rifle.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drug a big mule fawn for a mile in October without a rope.
The weight of my rifle is insignificant compared to the power of the deer dragging force.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mc Millan stock, Remington action , bartlein #3 barrel, ss 3x15 is 10.8lbs (243). It shoots very well, and I pack it long and far. Its not too heavy for steep terrain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunting rifles from 6.5-14 #’s and all get used. Overall I prefer an 8-8.5# rifle as an all arounder but do like shooting my heavy guns as I can typically see impacts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Heck I took my 15 pound rifle sheep hunting this year. smile

[Linked Image]

For true backpack style hunts a lightweight rifle is nice and I have more than a couple of those. But for day hunts where you don't have the entire camp on your back a heavier really isn't that big of a deal in my experience. Just another tool in the box. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like O2 country

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Other essentials I don't leave home without...

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like a rifle that balances nicely. For me, my 8x57 in the McMillan stock is 8 lbs even empty, and just about perfect. I have a .300 Win Mag that comes in at just over 9 and certainly is not bad to carry either.

Of course 20+ years of throwing concrete forms around can probably skew your definition of heavy.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Other essentials I don't leave home without...

Scenarshooter: just awesome firearms you regularly display...Wife, asked me a couple nights ago if I would want a Schmidt & Bender scope....Now, what’s a guy supposed to say to that invitation...No? Got me thinking though about S&B scopes. Here’s my question...I just bought a SWFA SS 10x42 as a training wheel scope to learn how to twist turrets. Not sure if I will like the experience. I’m a Leupold CDS user who happens to have 100% satisfaction thus far...So, what S&B scope would you suggest with both a twist turret set up and a non-twist scope with side focus in the 4.5 to 6 power range. Thanks for any help. Mark

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am old and feeble but still like to move in the mountains. My Tikka T3 lite 308 weighs 7.6 lbs scoped and loaded and that is enough for me. I don't know at what distance you will shoot game or how steady you are and that is always the limiter for me. Last week shooting seated w/ a back rest off sticks I shot 10 for 10 on an 8" plate at 400 yards and 5 for 10 at 500 yards in variable winds. This tells me that w/ this set up I am a 400 yard shooter from field positions. I rarely shoot prone where I hunt.

If I didn't need it as a truck gun I would invest in a lighter rifle and better glass and see what I could do. If I could shoot as well as Pat I would be pretty happy no matter what I was carrying.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 12 1/2 pounds, I don't make it a habit of packing this one around too much, but do on occasion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I’ve experimented with heavier hunting rifles (for stability at longer range) and found the real limit was not carry weight, but whether I could lift the rifle with one hand up onto sticks or a rest - silently.
It’s partly about balance, but my limit is around 10lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9 lbs for me. I have found that I shoot this one very well, I like it better than a 6 lb lightweight.

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
9 lbs for me. I have found that I shoot this one very well, I like it better than a 6 lb lightweight.

[Linked Image]

I might have to get one of those....;)

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You might have to change your screen name to “Enabler”... grin

ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would like to stay under 9.0 lbs.......scoped, loaded, and with sling. Mine comes in a few ounces over!

I have found that, as I age.....my rifle seems to be putting on a little weight! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/18/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

[Linked Image]

Details?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LSU, it’s a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM - the scenarshooter model...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That blueprint works pretty well on the Tempest action, 2” more barrel, 2 port side discharge brake chambered in 6.5 wsm as well. 😁

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

How long is the snout? 22"?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LSU fan

[Linked Image]

Details?

LSU Fan, I’ll be back in Zachary (home for my first 34 years), in early April. Family, friend, and baseball! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman

Pretty sure Scenar and Kimber7 spec’d 25” barrels

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Heaviest is 9 1/4 # this one is 8lb's 13 oz's and lately been carried the most.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fugkin spectacular picture!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by LSU fan

[Linked Image]

Details?

LSU Fan, I’ll be back in Zachary (home for my first 34 years), in early April. Family, friend, and baseball! memtb

Good time of year, weather should still be nice. You probably won’t recognize Zachary. Planning on an LSU Baseball game?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
LSU fan, It is amazing how Zachary has changed during the last 30 years. We get down, at least once a year. My kids, grandkids, and a few great grandkids, are down there. Granddaughter was able to be on the Zachary Cheerleader Squad in the dome, for both of Zachary’s State Football Titles. I had to listen to the games via the internet.....would’ve liked to have been there to see that!
And maybe an LSU game, 3 grandsons are heavily involved in Zachary baseball! memtb

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Rigby is quite a bit heavier than most of the others, though several are heavy too, but they also are special purpose. My elk and deer rifles maximum weight ~ 7 lb. But I don't shoot game animals over 300 yards since I grew up.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Pretty sure Scenar and Kimber7 spec’d 25” barrels

24". The Vias brake adds about 1".

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that. Ever run one with a 22” snout?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...

That looks about perfect to me!

Is the rifle 8.5 pounds alone, or does that include the scope?

What stock did you use?

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Copy that. Ever run one with a 22” snout?

I haven't, but a few guys I know have 22's. You lose a little velocity, but not much.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChetAF
[Linked Image]

What stock did you use?

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChetAF
[Linked Image]

What stock did you use?

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.

I really like the way that came together. Do you mind giving us the rest of the recipe for the Scenarshooter model?

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's cataloged on GA Precision's website as the "Extreme Hunter".

George Gardner and I speced it out while we were on a grizzly hunt in Alaska in 2012, huddled under a tarp on open mountainside in a downpour...he brought out a prototype to hunt with in Montana that fall, and killed an elk and a mule deer with it. We put several hundred rounds through it shooting steel and rocks...it's been a great project.

He has serial # 1, I've got # 2. I believe they've made and sold several hundred of them since then. Good clean rifle. Mine is on it's second barrel. I put 3200+ through the first tube. It still shot great, but velocity dropped down to .260 speeds, so I sent it back for a replacement. Barrel # 2 has 1200 rounds through and still shoots fast, and tight.

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...[/quote]

What stock did you use?
[/quote]

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.[/quote]

I really like the way that came together. Do you mind giving us the rest of the recipe for the Scenarshooter model?
[/quote]

[Linked Image]
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My perfect version of the "heaviest" is also based on Pat's/GAP's EH only a bit modified for my tastes.
Chet, if I remember right, your penchant for 70's might jive here a bit w/ my 6.5 4S (SAUM)

Weight: 8lb 11oz scoped
M70 SS Classic short action
Bartlein #3 fluted @ 23"
Bansner stock
PT&G bottom metal
Bushnell LRHS

Shoots nice clusters w/ 143 ELDX and H1000... trying some 130 VLDs this week. While a tad heavier than others I've had, it might be the best balanced.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TDN; 03/19/18.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is very nice too! Thanks to both of you for posting the photos and specifications.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by memtb
LSU fan, It is amazing how Zachary has changed during the last 30 years. We get down, at least once a year. My kids, grandkids, and a few great grandkids, are down there. Granddaughter was able to be on the Zachary Cheerleader Squad in the dome, for both of Zachary’s State Football Titles. I had to listen to the games via the internet.....would’ve liked to have been there to see that!
And maybe an LSU game, 3 grandsons are heavily involved in Zachary baseball! memtb

Oops, misread and was thinking you said it was the first trip in 30 years. Enjoy your trip! I can still remember my grandfather traveling in from Florida just to watch me play football my senior year. Sounds like a great family.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks! Looking forward to getting “back home”, for a little while! memtb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am planning on packing my CTR 6.5 this spring and fall here in Idaho. With 5 rounds it will be about 11 pounds. This will be about 2-2.5 pounds heavier than any rifle I have ever carried, but hoping the stability and LR accuracy it provides will be worth it. I am also planning on dropping an extra 10 pounds over what I usually am just to help out - cant hurt...lol.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't worry about weight that much (within reason) I carry a Model 70 .300 wm with 8 cartridges in the shell holder on the stock, scope, rail, sling, and bi pod. Its a pain for the first few days then I get used to it, I am guessing about 10 lbs and change. I have never weighed it, but its not light

Last edited by Elkmen; 03/22/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wby MkV UL 280 Remington - 7#
Wby MkV UL 7 Wby - 8#
Sako 85 Finnlight 308 Winchester - 7#
Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM - 7#
Remington 700 308 Winchester - 8#
Borden Alpine 300 WSM - 8#
Borden Timberline 280 AI - 7# (actually 6 lb 14 oz)
Encore 308 Winchester - 8#

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I’m not planning on climbing Pike’s Peak or Mt Everest so it’s a moot issue!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when you guys talk long range rifle I just built a custom 338 lapua ,brux barrel, weatherby action,put a 8-32x56 niteforce scope picatinny mnts.m and a bi-pod on this rifle its my new elk rifle for the mountains . I am kinda a bigger person 6-2 /250 lbs and I like a heavier rifle anyway, I am in decent shape climb poles as a powerlineman 35 years in all weather conditons. I look at it this way what`s a couple more pounds of butter on my rifle so a 10-12 lb. rifle with a scope is no big deal with my pack anyway,by the end of the day the food and water in my pack is usally a lot less anyway too. don`t sweat the small stuff.good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 03/25/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"What is the heaviest weight rifle you would want to hunt with?"

7# ready.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't really mind carrying a 700 Sendero so probably about 9.5 - 10 pounds scoped. It's a bit heavy but manageable with sufficient mumbling and cussing. I guess I'll leave that as my answer to the question.

I have a Kimber Montana that weighs 6 pounds with Talleys and a Leupold 2.5-8X. It is great to carry but is a real challenge to shoot offhand. I shoot a .204 in a custom 700 which weighs 7 pounds even scoped. It's got better "hang" than the .257 but a little more weight yet might be good. My guess is somewhere around 7.5 to 8 pounds would be ideal.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sub-8 is better than 10. BTDT. We hike hard here by necessity. Plus a guy gets old fast.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
About 11 pounds..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fit feel and balance for me, never have been able to shoot really lite rifles very well.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
15# be ok!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
15# be ok!

Yup, I routinely pack 11 to 13 pound Sharps rifles, killed 7 deer in two states with em last year, and one buck I rattled in was with that mighty 15 pound 45-110 Sharps Bull Gun I bought off you, all that said, I wouldn't want that bull gun on an elk or sheep mountain. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost all the rifles I've carried over the years went 9+, but no more. Last year I carried a CZ 527 that went a bit over 7, and now I've got a Fieldcraft in the pipe that should end up at about 6 1/2 with a pretty big scope. I'm also working on getting some weight out of my pack and off my ass. I don't want what I'm carrying to determine where I go and how long I stay out.

50 wasn't bad; started to really notice it at 60. 70's not far off now, and I want to keep at it as long as I can. Since I hunt public land, that means I have to climb, anywhere from a couple hundred to maybe 1000 feet, and since it's woods, that means a rifle is going to be in my hands a lot of the time. A pound or two carried like that is a big deal now.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
[Linked Image]

This one is the heaviest I've been hunting with lately. With sling and mag it's pushing 9lbs. I don't mind it at all when it's flat, short walk, or it's slung (shoulder or pack)....in thick woods or going up a mountain with it in-hand, it's only about 2.5 lbs more than another but it's a BIG difference. I'm a sissy and like my lw rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
[Linked Image]

This one is the heaviest I've been hunting with lately. With sling and mag it's pushing 9lbs. I don't mind it at all when it's flat, short walk, or it's slung (shoulder or pack)....in thick woods or going up a mountain with it in-hand, it's only about 2.5 lbs more than another but it's a BIG difference. I'm a sissy and like my lw rifles.

Nice rifle!! What setup are you using in the mountains that goes 6 pounds all up?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks! That one is about 9lbs all up and the light one is 6.5lbs, not 6 (sorry).

That's a .223AI 22" Rem sporter contour and it's counterpart .223AI is a 700 lightened bolt/handle, 22" Douglas #1, Edge stock (adl), DNZ mounts, and 6x42 Leupold which is 6.5 lbs all up. They've been my main non-big game rifles for several years now.

Kimber .223 gets used a lot of the farm and I think it's right at 6 lbs but haven't weighted it lately.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
LW version:

[Linked Image]

Kimber .223 is ~1/2 lb less

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice!!! I have some lightweight rifles that go anywhere from 4.5 pounds scoped to 7.25 pounds scoped and they all work, but my tank rifles are so much more fun to actually shoot and for everything but true living with whats on my back backpacking hunts for dall sheep, mountain goats, caribou, and bears even then I don't find the extra 5-8 pounds a deal break. Especially on day hunts when all I got is a 20-30 pound day pack to begin with.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yep, I agree on shooting heavier and they certainly aren't a deal breaker for hunting. Biggest factor for me is will I be carrying it in my hand most of the time or slung/eberlestock'd.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
MY limit Is around 9 pounds or so loaded with scope and sling .In Alaska ten of the years I was there I hunted with a weatherby accumark 338-378 weatherby .It was around 9.6 pounds loaded .I had a wide spongy scope on it .I toated it for hundreds of miles .

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
How much do I like My hunting rifle to weigh?....I like a bare bolt action hunting rifle to weigh about 6.5lbs (.300 Win) 6.0lbs (non-magnum) give or take a few oz's......Hb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 257_X_50, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.