-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I always enjoy getting together with our members. Never met one yet that wasn't good people. If anyone wants to match up for some fishing this spring, let me know. It's a good time to slay a bunch of crappies or sunnies and put some fish in the freezer. Most weekends I'm fishing by my self. Plenty of room in the boat, and kids are most definitely welcome to tag along. Look me up here if you'd like to get out. I fish the south metro mostly, but if you've got a spot you want to go, twist my arm a bit!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I heard from Walt and we will be matching up for some fishing this spring. If anyone else wants to get out, or get some kids out, let me know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
What say you Campfire fisherman?

Perhaps some friendly completion between boats for largest / most fish? I'd even be up for dinner afterwards at the local burger and beer joint.

By now the memory of your Christmas lutefisk should have passed and you're ready for some fresh fish.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am always up for fishing, but I do not go south. I usually have room in the boat when I go to the St Croix though. If anyone feels the need to catch a four footer I can make that happen and have the tackle to handle them in the river.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
I am always up for fishing, but I do not go south. I usually have room in the boat when I go to the St Croix though. If anyone feels the need to catch a four footer I can make that happen and have the tackle to handle them in the river.

Hey that sounds like fun man, and it's high time we got together again. I have a can of Varget for you to replace your powder we used working up that load for my 99. I'm down to a little over half a box left and was wondering if I could con you into loading me another box. I've always wanted to spend some time on the St. Croix. Hope we can make this happen.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by MILES58

Hey that sounds like fun man, and it's high time we got together again. I have a can of Varget for you to replace your powder we used working up that load for my 99. I'm down to a little over half a box left and was wondering if I could con you into loading me another box. I've always wanted to spend some time on the St. Croix. Hope we can make this happen.

I can always be talked into loading. I remember giving you the specs on the load, but I do not remember putting it into my load book. Be sure to bring that info with. Better yet, send it to me in a PM. I only have a couple-three 300 Savage brass. If you can find any new brass in a store somewhere that would be really good. How come you need more ammo? I have only heard about a couple of deer you killed since we loaded that stuff You should be able to get a dozen-fifteen deer out of a box, it's not like you're shooting a Remington 740.

It will be a shorter drive to go fishing, we only have to go a little ways north of my house. All you will need is to be able to handle a bait casting rig (Ambassadeur reel) with a big Rapala I can put you in the right place and handle the boat which can get to be important if one of those big muskies decided to go down river. You'll need an ultra light spinning rig with 4 lb test line for walleyes and small mouth and I will PM you about what baits you will need. I do not kill muskies, but I will take pictures. What I use for larger fish is 10 lb line and a moderate casting rod in case you have one of them you'd prefer to use. The only bait you'll need for the muskies is the musky size silver Rapala with the black scale finish.

If you really want to learn how to fish that river it might be better to go on the lower St Croix, but the muskies are less predictable down there. I fish the upper river a lot more and because I am almost exclusively fishing walleyes and small mouth I have learned which places to avoid if I don't want my Rapalas chopped off or my dinner eaten by those damn things.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I shoot one shell in the fall just to check the rifle, and one shell if a get a deer. I think I'm down to 12 or 13 rounds left. I used two rounds last fall, as I shot two deer. I've been really babying that old 99 being careful not to bounce it off anything and jar that old Weaver around. The danged thing shoots so good with your loads, I don't want to risk "moving" it.

As for the fishing, sounds good! I've got all those applications covered. I bought a muskie rig, with an Ambassadeur, so I'm good to go with that. I have no plans on killing a muskie either, They're just too fun to catch. My ultralight is old school-an old Mitchell 308 on an equally old, and very beat up Garcia Conolon ultralight rod. I think I'm on my third set of guides on that old rod. I'd love to get into some smallmouth on the ultralight.

Looking forward to doing this. Can't wait!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, a 99 that shoots that good is pretty rare. That load is dialed in good. Smallmouth won't open on the river until June. The muskies will be better then too. I only very rarely kill northerns, only once in a great while and then it will be a 3-4 pounder. Anything bigger goes back. Walleyes under four pounds get eaten. Smallmouth 15 inches to about three pounds get eaten. I am going to catch some cats down there this year and eat them if they're not over 5-6 lbs. White bass will be moving soon and I will get some of them, they eat every bit as good as walleyes, and they smoke better. I might smoke some cats this year too.

Fish day today at Dave's house, I bought some salmon, some to smoke and some for the pan. Oyster stew for lunch, maybe brunch, it smells awful good now.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sure beats the Domino's we had for supper.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.