Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mikem2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There was a rest. near Love Field in Dallas, Galvan El Unico, right down the street from Bruno the Tent Maker (seriously).

The dish was 'El Paso', ground beef enchiladas, flat not rolled, stacked like two pancakes with red mole sauce and a fried egg on top. Great dish. Probably a few different names for this one, it was good!

Anyone have a recipe for ground beef (real finely ground meat) and the red Mole sauce?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Stacked enchiladas are a common New Mexican version. I make enchiladas this way, anytime quick and casual sounds better than rolled and fancy. The usual roja sauce, either canned (use your favorite) or homemade (I use red New Mexico chilis, usually frozen, my favorite is Bueno brand, Hatch chilis).
If you have a food processor, etc., leftover roast beef makes a plenty good filling meat- add garlic, onion and a little red sauce- or grind store bought ground beef finer, before cooking.
I use the leftovers from stewed brisket, and shred them finely.
The egg on top is nothing new, even on rolled enchiladas. Another thing that can go well is Queso Fresco, instead of just the Cheddar/Jack cheeses.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't suppose anyone has a picture of this dish? I sounds great but I am having a hard time imagining it.

Long

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No pics, but let me offer a quick & easy version, and you'll get it. Open a can of red enchilada sauce (green if you're using chicken), spread a couple tablespoons on a microwave-safe plate.
Lay down a corn tortilla on the sauce. Spread more sauce on the tortilla. Spread cooked ground or shredded beef on top. Spread cheese of your choice. A bit more sauce, top with another tortilla, sauce, meat, cheese, etc... Nuke it for about 2 minutes. The tortillas will heat and soften, the sauce will bubble, the cheese will melt. Fry an egg over easy, place on top.
Garnish with shredded lettuce, diced onion, sliced jalapeno, etc.
In 5 minutes, you can produce an enchilada plate that tastes plenty good, and adjust portions to suit the diner. The "best" way is skip the meat, just use sauce, cheese & onion, with the egg. This is great bachelor food, easy and very filling.

M
Mikem2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Great quick recipe. The dark brown sauce with the up egg is a excellent contrast. Proably three tortillas and meat. Awesome flavor mix. Add some fresh salsa, on the spicy side.

smile

IC B2

JCW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We'll use blue corn tortillas for a change from time to time, but generally use white corn torts not the flour ones. when you put the dish together, dip the cooked corn tortillas (heat the tortillas in a dry cast iron pan) in your enchilada sauce then put dish together.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Flour tortillas don't make enchiladas, IMO. Normally, I make everything, including the tortillas (with a press). Like other foods, "mexican" can be a pure/traditional discipline or you can take shortcuts. When I shortcut, I go ahead and do it...don't dirty extra pans, build it right on the plate & nuke it.
I already went bald, anyhow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You folks inspired me.

Sunday morning I minced up a leftover piece of antelope loin, added a T of bacon drippings, some onion, garlic, diced jalepeno, some red sauce ...

Made some layered enchiladas with that and mixed shredded cheese as stuffing and served with a couple eggs on top with more cheese and red sauce.

I do believe I am a fan of "El Paso Eggs Benedict" ... Sam I am!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandma & grandpa grew up on the Rio Grande just outside of Hatch New Mexico, and they taught my mom how to make stacked enchiladas. In fact, Grandpa doesn't have of a taste for food these days unless its a stack of enchiladas with a sunny side up egg on top.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Stacked is definately New Mexican. Try mixing it up and go "green" with some salsa verde. Egg on top, of course.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love stacked enchiladas. Tortilla, red sauce, meat, tortilla, diced onion, cheese, tortilla, meat, red sauce and more cheese. Try some cottage cheese in the middle. It's really good. Top it with a dollop of sour cream and you're ready!

I really like lever action rifles. Sure it's romantic, but it's also very American.

I just wanted him to know, that I'm a bull too!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are not to many better ways to have leftover chili in the morning then with an El Paso.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If y'all get the chance, buy some Hatch brand enchilada sauce. It is good!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Red or green.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did it again this morning with leftover pork loin and verde sauce ... this is getting to be a (healthy?) habit ... sure gets rid of the leftover meat in a hurry!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you ever get the chance....go to the Pink House in Palomas, Mexico, across the border from Columbus, for green enchiladas. Nothing finer!

Last edited by Red44spl; 03/13/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Momma just picked up a 18 pack of eggs and some enchilada sauce.....hmmmmm!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Man I hated reading these posts it made me hungry. Last year I did a hunt in Mexico and we had a grate cook . I wished i watched him fix alot of the food . he mad tortillas fresh everyday . That I would like to make homemade Tortillas.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's no big deal, if you use a mix- mixes for both corn and flour tortillas are readily available. For corn tortillas, you need a press, also not hard to find. Flour, you can roll out.
Even the mixes are much better than ready-made.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got the long face from the doc...time to cut back on tortillas and such.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,096
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.