Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking at the 37 hp Mahindra to replace my 1973 35 hp International. The Deere's are running a close 2nd but former would be more convenient for parts and service. Any qualified opinions on their equipment?
What are the advantages / disadvantages of the HST transmission? Any useful pieces of infomation on choosing a new tractor would be helpful.

Thanks.. BP...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 4510C Mahindra. 45hp/38hp @ the PTO.

It's a tough little SOB.

Used it for clearing roads and fencelines after the hurricane, because it was small enough to go down the fenceline as I cut huge downed oaks. It turned a months long project into a couple days.

I also use it for shredding at the Olive Farm between rows of trees. I use it for the post hole digger, and rotary tiller in putting in food plots. I also use it to distribute round bales weighing 1500-1600lbs.

So I use it hard. wink

Mine has the synchro shuttle transmission. I personally wouldn't own an HST trans.... anything. If you road the tractor at all, it can ruin the transmission. Expensive fix.

I would step up to whatever gets you out of the HST transmission. wink My tractor mechanic has told me the horror stories.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak for the Mahindra, but I would never go without hydrostatic transmission. Sure it eats a little bit of horsepower but not enough to ever notice. Moving from forward to reverse in an instant saves lots of time when doing loader work. 4wd is also a must! Oh, and if you don't have a loader and a box blade you are crazy, two of the best implements ever invented.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

have an 2010 Kioti CK35....bought new.....4x4.......

shuttle gear....yes....FEL is a must......use the 12" PHD alot.......

landscape rake......yes.....tiller too......been a solid...trouble free machine

23 acres to keep up......Mahindra are well known too in my area....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Is it cheaper than a Kubota?

Last edited by hanco; 03/18/18.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have the 1538 with FEL and Backhoe attachment, 4WD

Out the door for 29k cash

I wouldn't have the hst, i opted for the shuttle

I don't want bull sh it problems a few yrs down the road due to hills. I ain't zippin around doing spinny winny loop de loop sheyott anyway.

7 yr warranty on drivetrain, so if you can trash an hst inside that hope they decide it's due to defect than dive in. It's another 1800$ or was on mine.

Also mine doesn't require DEF and they engineered it not to fall under that epa DPF filter requirement of 25hp thresholds.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco

I haven't compared to Kubota. I drove a ways to talk to the dealer but I guess I didn't look like I had enough money. Salesman handed me a brochure and sent me on my way.

BP...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boilerpig1

I haven't compared to Kubota. I drove a ways to talk to the dealer but I guess I didn't look like I had enough money. Salesman handed me a brochure and sent me on my way.

BP...

That wasn't Cliff Jones Mahindra was it?

I called about a new Mahindra 125hp tractor, and they blew me off.

I actually thought about calling their sales manager or owner to report it...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought mine in an adjacent state, 3 hour drive; that alone save me nearly $2,000 in taxes and they delivered free.

also, $300 discount on your second implement at time of transaction.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by boilerpig1

BP...

That wasn't Cliff Jones Mahindra was it?

I called about a new Mahindra 125hp tractor, and they blew me off.

I actually thought about calling their sales manager or owner to report it...

Not the Mahindra dealer but the Kubota dealer.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't go to Cliff Jones then... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've known 2 guys who had a Mahindra. One loves his, the other hated his. A lot of the likes, or dislikes, of owning a piece of equipment, barring the obvious of how it performs, is the dealer and the availability of parts and service. That's where the big boys, such as Deere, Case-IH, New Holland, and Kubota, usually have the edge. No slam on Mahindra, or any other lesser known brand, if I had a choice between them and say, Deere, and the price was close, I'd pick Deere.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My dealer is running for(R) Alabama state legislature, also had a 40ft MAGA banner on the building, and seven great pyrenees dogs wandering the lot greeting people.

can't beat that

I can also send the shop/parts foreman an email about a this or that on my tractor and the fella will reply within 2-3 mins nearly every time. Even at 4:59pm on a Friday. Hahaha

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One thing i noticed with mine. With the shuttle. Also with the FEL
safety non-start mechanism

You have to be in nuetral, clutch in and held, and brake mashed AND my loader has to be below the line of sight over end and apparently hold your mouth just right. Learned that the other day with a scoop of mulch. Had to lower the fel back almost to the ground to restart it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not a tractor guy, but when I had a 195 acre place in North Texas, I bought a new 35 horsepower, 3-cylinder four-wheel-drive Kubota diesel with bucket and other implements. Used it for a very trouble free five years and sold it quickly for a good price when I moved to town. I prefer manual transmissions and that's what my tractor had. I could see no disadvantage to such a choice. I think my riding lawnmower may have used more fuel than the Kubota. I buy everything with resale in mind.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We looked at a 30 hp Kubota with a front end loader with HST, it was a hair under $30,000. We ended up buying a Mahindra 26 hp with shuttle shift, 5' shredder, boxblade,5'tiller, brush piler, front end loader, 4wd, and an18' heavey duty trailer for a hair under $25,000. The money was a factor but the way the salesman treated us at Mahindra was the main reason we went Mahindra. Kubota New Holland and Mahindra locally are all owned by the same county judge. We have gone back and bought small parts and have been treated like family. My four and five year old grandkids have been with us every time we've been there and when the kids ask questions they are treated like adults. First place we went to look was at John Deere, I was there for 2 hours and was the only customer there and never got to talk to a salesman. I don't have a lot of experience to compare the Mahindra to because it's been 20 years since I've been on a tractor but so far our local dealer has stood behind their products and I have been happy with them. I recently inherited 34 raw acres out in the country and my son in law and I have been pulling saplings. I went to the dealer to ask about the roots left behind and how best to pull them up and he told us that if it was him he'd use a middle buster or subsoiler for digging the roots up and it has worked like a charm. He sold us one that he had in stock for two or three years for half price just to get it out of his inventory. If we had to do it all over again knowing what we know now, we'd buy the Mahindra all over again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
I can't speak for the Mahindra, but I would never go without hydrostatic transmission.
I'm just the opposite. I only like the hydro trans for snow blowing.. Other than that, gimme GEARS!! After 60+ years of running geared tractors with the clutch on the LEFT and the brakes on the RIGHT - going to a hydro where it's all reversed just doesn't work for me.. It would have been easier if they'd put the 'go' pedals on the left and kept the brakes on the right....but NOOOOOOOOO.. Grr.
Sure it eats a little bit of horsepower but not enough to ever notice. Moving from forward to reverse in an instant saves lots of time when doing loader work.
Last tractor I had with gears took maybe .5 seconds to go from F to R.. Big deal.. Plus - that one had a foot throttle - an item missing from this new one.
4wd is also a must! Oh, and if you don't have a loader and a box blade you are crazy, two of the best implements ever invented.
No question.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
New Holland is the best selling tractor in the world.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 45 horse Kubota, so does my son in law and neighbor. They are all about 12 years old, no problems.

Make sure you get 4-Wheel drive and a front end loader.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I have a NH Boomer TC 33D, HST mid mower . My wife cuts the grass and she does Ok with it. It has a governor problem ...NH cannot figure out. I bought it new . I would not buy another. I also have a older kubota , bought new , about 45 HP shuttle trans. oil leaks , electrical problems . I have less than 250 hrs. on it . I have had a bunch of JD equipment. WOUND NOT HAVE another tractor , TOO many problems to list. I have crawlers also .
I looked at the Mahindras and at the time , the final drive was a bull gear on their bigger tractors. I like the bull gear finals.

But, But , if and when I buy a new 35 -40 HP tractor I will give a good hard look at the Massey/ Fergusson.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.