Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This weekend we took our scout troop on a campout to the Minidoka National Historical Site in so. central Idaho. It's the Hunt Internment camp where thousands of Japanese were held prisoner during the war,one of America's great tragedies. Close to 13,000 people were run through it with 9500 being the highest population at any one time.

The internment was decreed by Democrats who controlled both houses of congress plus the presidency. They did it at the urging of powerful businessmen up and down the west coast. It didn't matter that many of the Japanese were born American citizens and didn't even speak Japanese. It was almost purely a racial thing. They saw the war as a chance to get rid of their Japanese competitors. The people were given 1 to 2 weeks to pack up and move, leaving everything. After the war, many went home to find that their homes and business had been stolen. They lost everything. An example of the racism was the camp infirmary. It was staffed by both white and Japanese doctors. They were all born citizens, went to the same medical schools, and had the same medical experience. The Japanese doctors were paid $19/month while the white doctors were paid $120/month. Of course the whites got all the positions of authority.

They were required to fill out and sign a loyalty questionnaire. There were 2 questions on it that caused untold problems.
One was would they agree to take up arms to defend the country. This same questionnaire was given to women and the elderly who couldn't take up arms but if they said no, the government restricted them even more.
The other was whether they would renounce their Japanese emperor and become loyal to the US. Most had no loyalty to the emperor and were US citizens, either born or naturalized. They were required to say they were formerly loyal to Japan when they were not. It caused a tremendous amount of resentment that their loyalty was questioned.

There is very little at the camp now. It originally covered 33,000 acres. It had over 300 barracks They were laid out in blocks of 12 barracks, 1 mess hall, 1 latrine, and 1 entertainment center. The barracks were 20x120' long and divided into 20x20' 'apartments' with 2 smaller rooms on each end. The larger ones were for families, holding as many as 8 people. The smaller ones were for singles or couples with no children. There were no bathrooms or kitchen facilities since they had the separate mess halls and latrines.
After the war, almost all of the buildings were hauled off and became farm buildings or houses in the surrounding area. They were too long to be moved easily so most were cut into pieces to move.
Some of the land was federal but a good deal was private that was loaned to the camp by farmers and later returned to them. Much of the federal land was disposed of by lottery after the war. Only whites were allowed to enter the lottery. Japanese were barred from entering even though they were born citizens.

The camp was built very quickly. They were forced to use green lumber in many buildings. As it dried, it left large gaps that let the wind through. There was no insulation. The buildings were frigid in the winter and the tar paper roofs made them real hot boxes during the desert summers.

The camp post office is by the front gate. Some had to walk over a mile to get their mail every day. It was heavily censored, both incoming and outgoing. Every piece was read and redacted, either with ink or by cutting out sections of the words. The level of censorship was complete nonsense. All that's left of the post office is a cement slab.

These photos are some of what's left there. The Nat. Park Svc is slowly reconstructing the site but they have a serious lack of anything authentic. Everything disappeared after the war.
this is what's left of the receiving buildings at the front gate.
[Linked Image]

A barracks and mess hall. The barracks was on a local farm and used for migrant housing after the war. The owner donated it back to the camp. It's been cut down a bit so it's not the original 120' long.
[Linked Image]

interior of the barracks. There's graffiti on the walls drawn by the migrants. The Japanese were very fastidious and would never mess up their living quarters with it. The supports were added when it was moved to keep it upright. It was originally divided into 20x20 rooms with a single light bulb in each room.
[Linked Image]

interior of the mess hall. Many of the internees operated restaurants. They ran the mess halls. They did the best they could considering the lack of food that they had. They were fed much less than they needed.
[Linked Image]

fire station. They had 3 fire trucks and a very well trained crew who lived in the building. At one point, there was a large range fire NW of the camp that endangered the town of Shoshone. The fire crews were dispatched and literally saved the town from destruction.
[Linked Image]

baseball field. There were several of them and baseball was very popular. They had regular games between the living blocks. They said that baseball saved them considering the lack of anything to do at the camp. It was the greatest form of entertainment they had.
[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for that.
Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well presented, both in words and pictures. Thanks - I always appreciate historical material, especially that which goes beyond what is either ignored or misrepresented by the official record keepers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to do that kind of thing in 2018. Imagine a war with Mexico. πŸ˜‡

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Democrats have done more to ruin this country than any other group!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Dems claim to be unbiased but this is one of the most tragic examples of bias that I know of.

At first the American Japanese were barred from serving in the war. The war dept. finally relented and formed the 442d combat regiment consisting of Japanese soldiers but with only white officers. It ended the war as the most decorated regiment in US history. They were fantastic soldiers and very dedicated to the US. However, they were allowed to fight only in the European theater, never in the Pacific.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In those days national security was more important than comfort. The Japanese were put in these camps in the center of the country away from the coast on either side, to help keep any breech of security on the coasts. We can compare it to the American Indian and get all emotional about it, but I would rather live with the ideals of that era than what we have become today.

Not only allowing terrorists into America, but encouraging it through the politically correct environment that claims a "Sanctuary city" is acceptable, hasn't quite ruined America, but it is headed that way.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You need to read more. Most of these people were US CITIZENS. They weren't immigrants. Security was a front. Racial bias was the real issue.
My grandfather immigrated from Germany. My dad was in the navy during the war. My family was every bit as foreign as any of these Japanese but we weren't incarcerated. If security was the issue. my parents would have been locked up.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When in school there was a Japanese teacher who we didn't fully understand moving from California to Colorado. Of course now we know. When I was little, the better dry cleaners was "the Japs", and the fruit markets were Jap. They had good produce and when you bought a bushel of peaches they were ring packed so you got a real bushel, not the things they try to foist off now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You need to read more. Most of these people were US CITIZENS. They weren't immigrants. Security was a front. Racial bias was the real issue.
My grandfather immigrated from Germany. My dad was in the navy during the war. My family was every bit as foreign as any of these Japanese but we weren't incarcerated. If security was the issue. my parents would have been locked up.

It isn't about citizens, it is about national security. Why do you think these camps were in the interior of the U.S. Call it racial bias or whatever you want, but they weren't taking any chances with citizens that may have a loyalty to Japan. No one said anything of "Locked up" .

I suppose we need to repay all the families that were sent to those camps for the wrongs committed against their parents and grandparents. It has sure worked well with the American Indian.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The same thing happened in Colorado.

WWII Japanese Internment Camp, Granada, CO

I think maybe the best known camp was in California. I think there was a book published about that camp.

Manzanar

This is why the 2nd Amendment is important. Don't think that it can't happen again and this time to you.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

It isn't about citizens, it is about national security. Why do you think these camps were in the interior of the U.S. Call it racial bias or whatever you want, but they weren't taking any chances with citizens that may have a loyalty to Japan. No one said anything of "Locked up" .

I suppose we need to repay all the families that were sent to those camps for the wrongs committed against their parents and grandparents. It has sure worked well with the American Indian.

National security was just a front. If it was the issue, they'd have locked up the Germans and Italians, too. Read up on how this came about. It was purely racial bias using security as a means to get rid of them. The security issue was a farce.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You need to read more, Italy and Germany didn't attack the U.S.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Wonder how things compared?

"Growing up in a Japanese WW2 internment camp in China"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33709730

...When Japan first invaded China, its troops mostly left the Westerners there alone, so Mary's parents decided to stay on in Kaifeng.

"They had actually bought tickets to return to the United States, but my dad said, 'God didn't just call me to be a missionary here in good times, he called us to be here in good times and bad'," said Mary.

But as a precaution, the couple sent their four children - Kathleen, James, Mary and John - to a school for foreigners in Chefoo on China's eastern coast in Shandong.

The couple thought they would be safer there and, for a while, they were.
Japanese takeover

But that changed when Japan's attack on Pearl Harbour drew America into the war. At a stroke, Mary and her family, and many other Westerners in China, became enemy aliens.

The day after Pearl Harbour, Japanese troops marched into the Chefoo school and declared themselves in charge.

"They brought a Shinto priest to the ball field who conducted a ceremony. They came bringing pieces of paper with Japanese writing on them and glued them to tables and chairs, pianos, desks; all of it belonged to the great emperor of Japan," said Mary. She remembers how the schoolchildren would watch the Japanese at bayonet practice. They called it "Ya" practice because that was the sound made by the soldiers as they charged towards each other.

The school had become a prison and Mary - then just nine - was a prisoner.

The young girl and her siblings were also cut off from their parents, who remained in unoccupied areas of China throughout the war.

The children stayed at Chefoo for a year, until the Japanese decided to turn it into a military base. The pupils and their teachers were transferred to a larger camp at Weihsien, set up to hold civilians from Allied countries who had been living in China.

Mary, who was then called Taylor, said she would never forget the day they were all marched out of the school.

"That was the end of Western domination of China," she said. "They had crowds of Chinese along the roadside as these white people were carrying whatever they could in their hands - no servants were helping them now - marching off to concentration camp."...

..."Our teachers set up a comforting, predicable set of rituals and traditions. Do you know how safe that makes children feel?"

But the children could not be shielded from all the horrors of an internment camp.

There was little medicine and some people died, including the British prisoner and former Olympic athlete Eric Liddell, or "Jesus in running shoes," as Mary describes him.

And then towards the end food became scarce.

The doctors among the prisoners asked anyone trading in black market eggs to save the shells, which were baked, crushed and then fed to the calcium-deficient children.

"It was vile. It tasted like you were eating sand," remembers Mary, who is now 82.

The prisoners knew little of the war going on outside the camp so when it ended it came suddenly and without warning....

"Civilian Internment Camps in Japan"

/[bleep]/[bleep]/CivCamps.html]http...ts/[bleep]/[bleep]/[bleep]/CivCamps.html

Source for below material is from Enemy Alien Internment by Mayumi Komiya (Tokyo: Yoshikawa Kobun Kan, 2009). Dec. 1941 data compiled from Gaiji Geppo (Foreign Affairs Monthly Report), December 1941 issue, Tokyo, Japan.
As of December 1941, there were 2,138 civilians of Allied nations in Japan -- 1,044 Americans, 690 British, 188 Canadians, 109 Dutch, 41 Australians, 38 Belgians, 19 Norwegians, and 9 Greeks (General Conditions of External Police Affairs, Mid-1941, Vol. 1). Total Allied civilian internees of the Japanese estimated to be 132,895 (50,740 men, 41,895 women, 40,260 children); of these, there were 15,000 deaths (Bernice Archer, The Internment of Western Civilians Under the Japanese, 2004).
A total of 152 Allied civilians, including 76 from internment camps, left Japan aboard the first exchange ship, the Asama Maru, on June 17, 1942. On July 30, 1942, 60 British internees left on the 2nd exchange ship, the Tatsuta Maru. A group of 73 internees boarded the 3rd exchange ship, the Teia Maru, on Sept. 13, 1943. See The Exchange and Repatriation Voyages During WWII for a good study about the Gripsholm exchanges.
Figures do not include Japanese-Americans (Nisei), who, in accordance with wartime directives issued by Japan's Ministry of Home Affairs, were to be treated as Japanese nationals. As for the numbers of Nisei in Japan, "Japanese figures show that in 1937 there were 50,000 American citizens of Japanese ancestry residing in Japan" (Gentlemen of Japan by Haven, 1944) -- the Japan Foreign Office urged these kibei shimin (American returnee citizens) to return to the US. Approximately 20,000 Nisei were living in Japan in 1940 (Zaibei Nihonjinshi, 1940). According to an estimate by the U.S. Consulate in Yokohama, some 15,000 Nisei were residing in Japan at the end of the war, 10,000 of whom were eligible to return to the United States (Rafu Shimpo, March 22, 1947). See Were We The Enemy? by Rinjiro Sodei for further information. See here for number of resident aliens of Japanese descent as of June 1942. Forthcoming book by John J. Stephan will cover this subject in detail. For further info and extensive data on ethnic Japanese and Japanese Americans in the US prior to and during WWII, see my EO9066 website, The Preservation of a People, dealing with the evacuation and relocation of people of Japanese ancestry (assembly and relocation centers, internment camps, etc.).
Per U.S. Prisoners of War and Civilian American Citizens Captured and Interned by Japan in World War II by Gary Reynolds (2002): 7,300 US civilians were interned by Japan, 13,000 Amerasians with US citizenship "hid during this period" and never interned (Stenger). There were 13,979 US civilian internees (including War, Navy, and Merchant Marine personnel) held by the Japanese, with approximately 1,530 deaths, or 11%. (Office of the Army's Provost Marshal General). [NOTE: Throughout Asia, many civilians, instead of being placed in internee camps, were held in POW camps along with Allied soldiers.]
Links under "Prefecture" are for prefectural civilian internment camp groups which I have compiled from archival documents; [APUJ] = Allied POWs Under the Japanese, Mansell.com webpages; "Name" links will direct to related websites; "Location" links will bring up GoogleSightseeing maps; GoogleEarth KMZ links will eventually be made available.
For timeline of camps showing number of internees and their movement among the various camps, see Chronology Chart of Civilian Internment Camps: Internee Strength & Movement
For foreign resident population and locations as of June 1942, see Foreign Resident Population in Japan: Nationality and District of Residence
A list of 309 civilians who were processed through Bilibid Prison Camp in the Philippines can be found here (click on the CIVILIANS tab at bottom right of page).
For an excellent comparison of civilian internment under the Imperial Japanese, see Lou Gopal's website, Victims of Circumstance - Santo Tomas Internment Camp. Another very moving film is So Very Far From Home about civilian internees in China. For civilians in Hong Kong, see Hong Kong War Diary. See also Ron Bridge's British Civilians Interned by the Japanese during WWII and this Brief History of Civilian Internment in the Far East. A list of Japanese Civilian Internment Camps WWII is also helpful.
As with all such documents, transcribing issues due to legibility are noted by question marks. For clarification, as well as any other questions you may have, please contact me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's even worse and little known is that Native Alaskans were interned during WWII for their "safety". Many of them died due to malnutrition and disease, and US troops looted their houses and desecrated their churches.

https://www.nps.gov/aleu/learn/historyculture/unangan-internment.htm

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun
You need to read more, Italy and Germany didn't attack the U.S.
Not a massive attack like Pearl Harbor but Hitler declared war on us right after Pearl Harbor. He then ordered acts of sabotage on US soil. German was every bit as much of an internal threat as the Japanese.

But arguing attacks still isn't the issue. History says that racism was the cause. No amount of debate can change what actually happened.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

BRITISH INTERN GERMANS, ITALIANS

ondon, England Β· June 25, 1940

Under the threat of imminent invasion from Nazi GerΒ­many, the BritΒ­ish governΒ­ment on this date in 1940 began inΒ­terning all susΒ­pect aliens living in the United KingΒ­dom. Some 300,000 GerΒ­mans, AusΒ­trians, and ItalΒ­ians, inΒ­cluding Jewish refugees from the Nazis, were placed behind barbed wire in England (raceΒ­tracks and unΒ­finished housing proΒ­jects were typical locaΒ­tions), on the Isle of Man (between BritΒ­ain and IreΒ­land), or deported to CanaΒ­da or AusΒ­traΒ­lia (7,000 inΒ­ternees). The botched Allied camΒ­paign to assist NorΒ­wegians fighting German inΒ­vaders (April 9 to June 10, 1940) and the resΒ­cue of some French citiΒ­zens during the evacuΒ­aΒ­tion of the British Army at DunΒ­kirk (May 27 to June 4, 1940) led to an outΒ­break of spy fever and agiΒ­taΒ­tion against enemy aliens. And so all males in BritΒ­ain aged 16–60 who held enemy citiΒ­zenΒ­ship were inΒ­ternedβ€”women only if under actual susΒ­picion. Four days later PresiΒ­dent Franklin D. RooseΒ­velt signed the Alien RegisΒ­traΒ­tion Act (Smith Act), which required non-citizen adult resiΒ­dents living in the U.S to regisΒ­ter and be fingerΒ­printed. Within four months of its pasΒ­sage, close to five million U.S. aliens had regisΒ­tered, including 40,000 JapaΒ­nese. Following on the Smith Act, RooseΒ­velt’s ExecΒ­uΒ­tive Order 9066 of FebruΒ­ary 19, 1942, authoΒ­rized the SecΒ­reΒ­tary of War and U.S. armed forces comΒ­manΒ­ders to declare parts of the U.S. miliΒ­tary areas β€œfrom which any or all perΒ­sons may be exΒ­cluded.” The order led to the forced reloΒ­caΒ­tion, usually to backΒ­water areas of the U.S., of many of the same peoΒ­ple, citiΒ­zens and aliens alike, who had regisΒ­tered under the Smith Act. Of all alien inΒ­ternΒ­ment, the most bruΒ­tal was that orgaΒ­nized by the JapaΒ­nese after their armed forces flooded into BritΒ­ish, Dutch, and AmerΒ­iΒ­can coloΒ­nies and terriΒ­tories in the Asia PaciΒ­fic region following the outΒ­break of the PaciΒ­fic war in DecemΒ­ber 1941. In 1941–1942 approxΒ­iΒ­mately 130,000 civilΒ­ians from Allied counΒ­tries were inΒ­terned. The camps varied in size; some were segreΒ­gated by race or genΒ­der, but many were mixed gender. One of the largest unΒ­segreΒ­gated camps was in Hong Kong, which held 2,800 mainly BritΒ­ish inΒ­ternees. UnΒ­like priΒ­soners of war, the inΒ­ternees were not comΒ­pelled to work, but they were held in primiΒ­tive conΒ­diΒ­tions. BruΒ­tality by camp guards was comΒ­mon and internee death rates were high.

"List of concentration and internment camps"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concentration_and_internment_camps

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wonder how many of these are still standing? I would believe demoncraps know and have a plan for their future use.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the conspiracy theorists have lists of FEMA concentration camps built to house all of us radical rightists. This camp is on their list in spite of the fact that there are only 4 or 5 buildings standing and only the 1000 sq ft visitor center is usable for anything. The other one in Idaho is the former Moose Creek Japanese internment camp in north Idaho.That one held only 200 men at it's maximum and I don't think there's a single building standing there now.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
What's even worse and little known is that Native Alaskans were interned during WWII for their "safety". Many of them died due to malnutrition and disease, and US troops looted their houses and desecrated their churches.

https://www.nps.gov/aleu/learn/historyculture/unangan-internment.htm

I'd never heard this before. What connection did these people have with the Japanese? None, I'd guess, but for hatred of the ignorant and foolish.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 14,632 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,062
Posts18,541,164
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.