Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Jerry,
Thanks for your suggestion, it obviously lead to another poster offering some data and yada yada yada the rest is history.

That little power supply I'd wager is connected to one of the dry contacts on the VFD, its use could be something as innocent as turning on a run light or whatever.

Still, I wanted to reach into that image and lift those covers off to see what was going on with it......:-)

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB1

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ll stroll out to the shop and snap a pic with the covers up. I opened them last night but didn’t know what I was looking at aside from a snarl of wires. Not sure why I didn’t shoot a pic of them open

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Open the remote box too and get a shot, I got a feeling that 24v dc power is going to end up there.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here’s the VFD wiring.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12731645#Post12731645

I have a picture of the inside of the remote box too, I’ll have to get it in the image gallery in a bit

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, pretty basic, just like a guy would figure.

The 24v wire I have been questioning is just outta curiosity. It is landed right where I thought it'd be, on a dry contact.
It's nothing but a relay. The 24v is going into R1 and when the drive starts, the relay closes and it comes out on R10 then heads over to you remote in one of those large gray wires ...but whats it do once it gets there?? inquiring minds wanna know....

D1 is your forward power and D2 is Reverse, DMC is their power source, they will all be landed on the selector switch in the remote.
That's not a drum switch, big difference, the original Mill would have had a drum switch, they have taken it off when they installed the VFD and put in the selector switch.

AI, +10V and ACM are all three connected to your speed control knob aka POT switch (potentiometer).

I'm sure you were just dying to know all of that...lol.
But the guy you have coming over to help you might have a question or two.......

Good Luck!

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks like On - Off Forward/Reverse and external potentiometer control....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The big drum switch is still on the machine too it has a wire that runs into the VFD box on it. But I feel like I will need to just turn it on and leave it, using the remote for the VFD as my on off switch, correct?

I was excited to get all the extras with the machine as I’ve never run a Bridgeport with any of this stuff on it but have had newer import machines with similar features. I’m hoping to get it figured out and get the learning curve on it pretty soon, sometimes all the technology drives me nuts.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here’s a couple shots of the inside of thw remote and one of the whole machine before it was torn down and crated for shipping.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12731844#Post12731844

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
The big drum switch is still on the machine too it has a wire that runs into the VFD box on it. But I feel like I will need to just turn it on and leave it, using the remote for the VFD as my on off switch, correct?

I was excited to get all the extras with the machine as I’ve never run a Bridgeport with any of this stuff on it but have had newer import machines with similar features. I’m hoping to get it figured out and get the learning curve on it pretty soon, sometimes all the technology drives me nuts.

Thats a nice setup Kid I am sure you will enjoy it. Keeping it variable speed will be nice with the step pulley. I can't tell but if the motor leads do run through the original For/Rev switch it is a good idea to leave it in one position as a lot of drives do not do well if the output power is opened. If so then yes use the remote switch.
I did notice that the drive manual does not recommend your model as single phase input...... Note* 28?

Only models GS2-10P2, GS2-10P5,
GS2-11P0, GS2-20P5, GS2-21P0,
GS2-22P0, and GS2-23P0 are rated for
1-phase input power

The 24 vdc may be going to the DRO????

Good luck with this and if you find you will be going with a different VFD let me know as I have a Clausing I could run this on....Dana

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie

I did notice that the drive manual does not recommend your model as single phase input...... Note* 28?

Only models GS2-10P2, GS2-10P5,
GS2-11P0, GS2-20P5, GS2-21P0,
GS2-22P0, and GS2-23P0 are rated for
1-phase input power

Thats why the drive had to be derated....
From what I have read no drives over 3hp are rated to do what we are doing here with out derating.

The other issue we are hoping we slide by is if the drive has phase loss detection.
Some do some don't.
If it does its going to know there is no line three and go into phase loss fault.

We have had some really good knowledge input here but still counting on a little bit of luck...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid

Idunno, it's kind of a groaner...
We'll fall back to, if it was working the way he had it all should be well.

A drum switch reverses electrical phases in a three phase application.
Reversing any two phases changes motor direction.
Lets say in forward, the motor is running with the three electric phases in L1/L2/L3 order. Flip the drum switch to reverse and now you are in L3/L2/L1 order.

If the drum switch was functioning with the VFD installed it has to be between the VFD and the Motor.
If it is installed between the VFD and the power source it wouldn't have changed the motor direction.
A VFD don't care what order the incoming power is in, it doesn't effect the output side of it.

Prior to the VFD installation there was some sorta motor contactor/starter and the drum switch could have been on either side of it and worked.

You don't have no Line 3 on your incoming side anymore with the single phase power.
"IF" the drum switch is between the incoming power source and the drive and "IF" you flip the drum switch it'll probably just shut down.......lets hope.....drives and finicky they don't like weird schit.

Probably nothing to be concerned of and the drum switch is installed between the VFD and the motor.

I don't take anything for granted, who knows how the last guy wired it and why.

That being said, I'm gonna take it for granted the 24v dc power supply powers up your DRO.
Oh hold it, I'm a electrician not a machinist, I'm not suppose to know what a DRO is:-)

But something deep down inside of me is saying that big fancy illuminated touch pad thingy that looks so outta place on that old machine is gonna light up like a Christmas tree when that VFD engages. Sino DRO 's are DC powered, so I'm just guessin'.
Does that thing have a power feed too?

I'm glad you have some local help for this, I know a lot of welders and the only wire they ever mess with comes outta their mig power feed...........

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, I would just leave the drum switch in the position shown in the picture. The motor power probably still goes through it.

It looks like it was set up for drilling. Is that some sort of quick change setup in place of the normal collets and drawbar?

Hopefully you got the vice with it. That looks like a good heavy duty one.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The attachment on top is a pneumatic drawbar. No power feed unfortunately and I didn’t get the vise with it. I plan to buy a vise with an indexable base anyway. I have both the standard drawbar and the extended one for the pneumatic, I’ll run it with the standard until I can get my big compressor going. I also got a coolant system with it as well as a full set of R8 and R25 collets and holders.

The machine had new bearings put in the top end about two years ago and has very little runout. Amazingly I bought it with all the accessories and had it shipped from the east coast for about half of what a clapped out one with no tooling brings out here.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.