Print Thread
Hop To
#12735098 03/21/18
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I had a large maple tree taken down. The trunk is 28" diameter and 9 feet long. I'm thinking it is better used for furniture or a beam or something rather than just firewood.

What is something like this worth?

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Whatever someone will pay for it, probably not much in my opinion. You will probably have to pay to get it hauled off.

Last edited by hanco; 03/21/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd say make a totem pole out of it with a Stihl chainsaw.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It may be worth something.

It all depends on the condition of the wood. Does it have splits, worm bores, or rot areas?

I'm sure there's folks here that know more than me about that, but I know they have to grade the wood to evaluate it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It may be worth something.

It all depends on the condition of the wood. Does it have splits, worm bores, or rot areas?

I'm sure there's folks here that know more than me about that, but I know they have to grade the wood to evaluate it.

It's in good shape. It's been on the ground for 2 weeks and starting to dry out, but this section is solid. No splits, worm bores or rot in this section.

If I had more time on my hands I'd get it sawed into planks and make a nice table.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Put a good coat of paint on both ends to slow any cracking while you find a buyer.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not an Echo chainsaw?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
while not likely, it'd be good to confirm there's no metal in it such as wire, nails, etc. running a metal detector over it would help if one is handy.

the kind of maple is a factor. and the width of the growth rings, etc. etc. it'd be a shame to see it waste, on the other hand demand might be iffy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not all maples are the same... probably as much range in the wood from different maples as there is from about any tree Genus in NA. It is unlikely to be Bigtooth because of the size... except it sounds like a yard tree so all bets are off. Another common maple in yards that could easily produce a log that size is box elder.

There are less than 500 board feet of lumber in the log and it will sell for less than a dollar a foot in the log. Being a yard tree with the possibility of metal in the trunk would drop that value significantly.

If it happened to be highly figured and white the price could rise significantly...

There is probably a local with a portable sawmill (like a Wood-Mizer) that would cut it for you. Many will cut it in trade for half the wood. It needs to be cut ASAP in your area or it will be worthless soon. I would water it daily if you are going to do anything with it. Box elder will have little value as lumber, but is often burly and beautiful stuff for woodturners.

There are a lot of different maples it could be...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 03/21/18. Reason: Frigging autocorrect! Big tooth became Bigfoot!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 45_100
Why not an Echo chainsaw?

Can only do a proper totem pole with a Stihl. I thought everyone knew that.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What Sitka said, variety of maple makes a big difference, and since it's just one log you also have to find a buyer willing to send a truck and loader for a single log. If you have a way to haul it to a local hardwood mill you might get some money out of it. Or find someone logging nearby that can add it to a load.

I've cut furniture and veneer quality black cherry logs into firewood when it was a single log that they wouldn't send a truck for (on timber company's land while I was working for them!)

Good news is that most maple makes very good firewood.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MikeL2
What Sitka said, variety of maple makes a big difference, and since it's just one log you also have to find a buyer willing to send a truck and loader for a single log. If you have a way to haul it to a local hardwood mill you might get some money out of it. Or find someone logging nearby that can add it to a load.

I've cut furniture and veneer quality black cherry logs into firewood when it was a single log that they wouldn't send a truck for (on timber company's land while I was working for them!)

Good news is that most maple makes very good firewood.

yeah, and it's easily split. a maul works, not necessarily a hi-power splitter is needed.

but still, shop it around to the various wood-working guilds. a fit might occur that benefits everyone.

it's always a question of how best to utilize the product under the existing circumstances. prices can & do vary.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mills won’t want a tree that was cut out of someone’s yard. They’re typically full of nails, clothes line hooks, etc. It’s commercial value is as firewood.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Mills won’t want a tree that was cut out of someone’s yard. They’re typically full of nails, clothes line hooks, etc. It’s commercial value is as firewood.

Absolutely true under lots of circumstances, but I know of a maple spotted by a sawyer and he went up to the house and begged to buy a standing maple of modest size and offered very good money and a replacement tree of significant size in the same place.

He paid for it, cut it, replaced it, and giggled... Even saw to it the replaced tree prospered.

Not suggesting that case exists here, but a very good log is still a very good log even if it grows in a yard. That is what metal detectors are about. And I have significant scars from shrapnel tossed from a saw blade as it touched metal.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the beauties of a small band saw mill. If you hit metal, you at most lose a blade, which is not too expensive. Sometimes you will saw right through and only dull the blade. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,353
Posts18,527,038
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.